Civilian vehicles with flashy red and blue lights

Asking ''for a friend''   I was following a car a little too closely on the on-ramp after going from one 4-lane freeway to another when suddenly, I saw red and blue strobes light up in it's rear window...I , I mean... my friend glanced at his speed and saw that he was going 60 in a 65 zone. then wondered if he was getting pulled over for following too close...the lights stopped and my friend wondered if it was just a warning, Then about a mile later, saw the same thing happen to another tailgator.  The ''unmarked car'' was the only car out at O'dark-thirty in the morning going under the speed limit...Which made me think it wasn't law enforcement.  Are these things legal?    BRI?  

Now I want to get these for the air haulers following too close trying to do a cat-scan of my braim with their coon hunting lights

16-LED-Red-Blue-Car-Police-Strobe-Flash-

• Plus1 2

I purchased a pickup that used to be owned by a volunteer fireman.  It has, what I was told, about a $1,500 set of emergency lights.  They are pretty kick ass.  It would be extremely illegal for me to go down the street with these lights on for any reason.

The only time I have used them is when I was the first person to come upon an accident, I called 911 and was out in the country.  I turned them on so the emergency people could see where I was.