Mike Riley’s salary at Oregon State... $50k.

Saunders

This thread cracks me up.  So many people fired up and demanding action without even questioning or wanting to know what all the facts of the matter are.  Good lord I hope I"m never wrongly accused of a crime and end up with a jury who decides innocence and guilt before the testimony even begins. 

MR doesn't use an agent, if he was trying to milk dollars from anyone he'd have an agent.  He also wouldn't have stayed at OSU as long as he did when better more lucrative offers came his way if he put that high a priority on money.  I'm willing to bet he's had communication with N during this process and has no problem with setting an offset for his N contract at a reasonable salary amount for his new position something like 250k even though he's getting paid 50K. 

That said, lets be clear here, it wasn't MR who broke the contract in the first place, it was N who broke it by not honoring the specified contractual period he was to be HC, a time period both agreed upon when signing the contract.  The contract is there to protect both parties.  Once Nebraska decided not to live up to their end of the contract they knew the consequences and the price tag and now need to live up to what they agreed upon. 

• Plus1 2
57 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

This thread cracks me up.  So many people fired up and demanding action without even questioning or wanting to know what all the facts of the matter are.  Good lord I hope I"m never wrongly accused of a crime and end up with a jury who decides innocence and guilt before the testimony even begins.

You realize this is a message board and Riley's not going to jail, right?

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

MR doesn't use an agent, if he was trying to milk dollars from anyone he'd have an agent.  He also wouldn't have stayed at OSU as long as he did when better more lucrative offers came his way if he put that high a priority on money.  I'm willing to bet he's had communication with N during this process and has no problem with setting an offset for his N contract at a reasonable salary amount for his new position something like 250k even though he's getting paid 50K. 

That said, lets be clear here, it wasn't MR who broke the contract in the first place, it was N who broke it by not honoring the specified contractual period he was to be HC, a time period both agreed upon when signing the contract.  The contract is there to protect both parties.  Once Nebraska decided not to live up to their end of the contract they knew the consequences and the price tag and now need to live up to what they agreed upon. 

Well !! You are just making to much sense for us.

:lol:

GBR!!!

It's the cost of doing business. If Mike Riley wants to flip hamburgers in the cafeteria for minimum wage, who cares? 

On the other hand, we sue him to save 400k to a million over 5 years? Awesome, we'll look like the parent in divorce who can't move on. 

Edited by theknife
  • Plus1 1
1 minute ago, theknife said:

It's the cost of doing business. If Mike Riley wants to flip hamburgers in the cafeteria for minimum wage, who cares? 

On the other hand, we sue him to save 400k to a million over 5 years? Awesome, we'll look like the parent in divorce who can't move on. 

I agree.  I don't care what he does and I am fine with him getting every penny from that contract, I would want it all too.

You’re still missing the point.  No one disputes that he gets all that is owed to him.  That is Nebraska’s end of the deal.  Riley’s end of the deal is that if he took employment from anywhere else, his salary had to be compared with industry standards.  As it stands right now, that isn’t the case.  

I dont care care if he doesn’t work at all and Nebraska pays him in full.  But if he wants to coach, he shouldn’t be allowed to game the rules of the contract to benefit Oregon St.

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

You’re still missing the point.  No one disputes that he gets all that is owed to him.  That is Nebraska’s end of the deal.  Riley’s end of the deal is that if he took employment from anywhere else, his salary had to be compared with industry standards.  As it stands right now, that isn’t the case.  

I dont care care if he doesn’t work at all and Nebraska pays him in full.  But if he wants to coach, he shouldn’t be allowed to game the rules of the contract to benefit Oregon St.

Don’t forget, Oregon State saved MILLIONS of dollars when Gary Anderson voluntarily walked away.

• Plus1 2

From Oregon State's point of view, they are simply taking back what was 'theirs' to begin with - we did hire Riley away from them three years ago.  Oregon State had to go out and replace him at a cost to them no doubt.   I think it's good that they are paying the $50,000.  That's about $150000 they are giving to NU to buy him back after we stole him.   If you want to think of how the other side looks at it.   Imagine if an NFL team decides to hire Scott Frost away from NU this summer, for example.  They would pay the buy out (whatever that is) but I'm afraid that Nebraska fans would be so outraged they might burn down the NFL team's stadium in reaction.   

From UCF viewpoint, we stole Frost and after a dream season and such high hopes for a long happy football future to boot!   That has got to be rough.  

The problem is the buy out clause needs to be redone in the contracts to become a lump sum of perhaps half the remaining salary and that's it.  Or there needs to be specific performance levels (number or percentage of games won, etc) to satisfy the contract on the part of the coach.   He either won enough or he didn't.  

9 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

We didnt break the contract.  Part of the contract is the ability to fire the employee prior to term and the specifics on how things go from there were laid out for both parties.   Riley HAS broken his end of the contract because 1. He didn't pursue comparable employment and 2. He didn't secure market value wages for his new employment.   

Bo took a head coaching job at a lower level school and received the same contract value as the man he replaced.   That would be tough to argue in court.   If he had taken that job and received 1/4 of what his predecessor did then it would have been a different story, but that's exactly what Riley has done.  

• Plus1 1