Mike Riley’s salary at Oregon State... $50k.

Saunders

11 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

This thread cracks me up.  So many people fired up and demanding action without even questioning or wanting to know what all the facts of the matter are.  Good lord I hope I"m never wrongly accused of a crime and end up with a jury who decides innocence and guilt before the testimony even begins. 

MR doesn't use an agent, if he was trying to milk dollars from anyone he'd have an agent.  He also wouldn't have stayed at OSU as long as he did when better more lucrative offers came his way if he put that high a priority on money.  I'm willing to bet he's had communication with N during this process and has no problem with setting an offset for his N contract at a reasonable salary amount for his new position something like 250k even though he's getting paid 50K. 

That said, lets be clear here, it wasn't MR who broke the contract in the first place, it was N who broke it by not honoring the specified contractual period he was to be HC, a time period both agreed upon when signing the contract.  The contract is there to protect both parties.  Once Nebraska decided not to live up to their end of the contract they knew the consequences and the price tag and now need to live up to what they agreed upon. 

You're still wrong. 

• Plus1 1

44 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

You're still wrong. 

The real story here is, few are questioning, or complaining about the fact our newly hired coach was given a 7 year contract at 5 million a year which is the 3rd highest salary in the B1G.

So if you're crying over a couple hundred thousand dollars a year(we may or may not be overpaying MR), and yet not infuriated that we  just entered into an all or nothing deal that will cripple N football if it doesn't work out then it's obvious your true concern is NOT about the money.  It's one thing to be optimistic and confident in SF, entirely another from a business standpoint to bet the farm on it. 

12 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

The real story here is, few are questioning, or complaining about the fact our newly hired coach was given a 7 year contract at 5 million a year which is the 3rd highest salary in the B1G.

So if you're crying over a couple hundred thousand dollars a year(we may or may not be overpaying MR), and yet not infuriated that we  just entered into an all or nothing deal that will cripple N football if it doesn't work out then it's obvious your true concern is NOT about the money.  It's one thing to be optimistic and confident in SF, entirely another from a business standpoint to bet the farm on it. 

Wrong.

1) 5 million a year is the going rate of a quality football coach these days. We weren't getting a quality coach here for anything less than 4 Mil. 

2) 5 million a year is peanuts compared to NUAD annual revenue. This contract will in no way cripple N football, and we in no way 'bet the farm' though if we were going to, now would be time and Frost would be the one to bet on.

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

I was with you on the MR stance.

I couldn't disagree with you more on the SF stance. Nebraska is already on the verge of being crippled due to poor performance. I would have payed Scott double what he got to instill hope back in the fan base.  One more failed coach and this ship has sailed anyway.  Scott was the best coach available, and a perfect fit.  You do what you have to to hire him.

If the football team is good,  money will never be an issue.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Wrong.

1) 5 million a year is the going rate of a quality football coach these days. We weren't getting a quality coach here for anything less than 4 Mil. 

2) 5 million a year is peanuts compared to NUAD annual revenue. This contract will in no way cripple N football.

At the time it was signed it was more than all but two B1G coaches.  Chryst, Fitzgerald, Ferentz, and Dantonia are all quality coaches and don't have as lucrative a contract.  7 years is a sign Moos believes it's going to take some time for a new coach to install and build his program and I agree with him.

What I meant by crippling N football if this doesn't workout for whatever reason was not entirely about the money aspect.  I'm certainly hoping things do work out, but if they don't the psychological blow to the program, fans, and boosters of shooting for the moon and getting the guy we wanted and then seeing it not workout will be a hard blow to overcome. You're right N could afford the buyout and a new coaches salary  as things stand today, but if SF doesn't succeed I'm afraid the toll that will take on the program will be significant in more respects than can be quantified at the moment. 

20 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

At the time it was signed it was more than all but two B1G coaches.  Chryst, Fitzgerald, Ferentz, and Dantonia are all quality coaches and don't have as lucrative a contract.  7 years is a sign Moos believes it's going to take some time for a new coach to install and build his program and I agree with him.

What I meant by crippling N football if this doesn't workout for whatever reason was not entirely about the money aspect.  I'm certainly hoping things do work out, but if they don't the psychological blow to the program, fans, and boosters of shooting for the moon and getting the guy we wanted and then seeing it not workout will be a hard blow to overcome. You're right N could afford the buyout and a new coaches salary  as things stand today, but if SF doesn't succeed I'm afraid the toll that will take on the program will be significant in more respects than can be quantified at the moment. 

If SF doesn't succeed Nebraska football is probably done.  It might have been 25 years since a conference title, and the odds of getting a good coach at that point would be slim.   The history sell would be gone, the sellout streak would be over and apathy would have set in for fans.

That is why you give Frost 7 years and I don't care how much money.  Give him whatever he needs. 

Riley stinking it up was what led to Moos being hired, and the timing worked out to get Frost. I don't give a flying fish what we are still paying Riley or what he makes at Oregon State. He could be sitting on his couch and we'd be on the hook for all of his buyout and none of you would care.  That is what you expect when you fire the coach, to have to pay his buyout.  Offsetting it at all is a bonus.

Now....back to the kool aid flowing because we hired the right coach for the first time in 20 years!

Edited by runningblind
  • Plus1 1

Nebraska isn't going to be crippled financially if Scott Frost doesn't work out.  I am sure there was a big influx of season ticket requests and donations when he was hired, and NU was already making a boatload of cash every year.  If I have learned anything in the past 10-20 years is that the top college athletic departments have more money than they know what to do with.

Just now, Husker_Bohunk said:

His point is that in this thread most of the posters have already tried, convicted and executed Mike Riley before all the facts in this case come out.

I wouldn't want these posters to judge me because I'd never get a chance to defend myself before meeting the headsman's axe.

No they haven't.

There are literally no consequences for Riley. This is a message board where people say what pops into their head as it relates to Husker football. I don't think anyone's even called him an a****** yet.

Nebraska football won't be 'done' even if it doesn't work out. Minny and Purdue are getting 50 million a year from the BIG. Minny and Purdue hired a quality coach. We will be fine regardless. I understand not competing on a national level may seem like the death of the program to some people, but it is actually far from it.

Edited by Nebfanatic

37 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Maybe we aren't reading the same thread then because that is exactly what I see.

So Riley is going to jail where, sometime in the future, he'll be put to death?

Or is it more likely this is a message board on the internet where people throw things out that pop into their heads and they would be more discerning if they were actually deciding a person's fate?

31 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Nebraska football won't be 'done' even if it doesn't work out. Minny and Purdue are getting 50 million a year from the BIG. Minny and Purdue hired a quality coach. We will be fine regardless. I understand not competing on a national level may seem like the death of the program to some people, but it is actually far from it.

No, turning into Minny or Purdue is being done for Nebraska football. Would you really be ok with fighting for a bowl every year and occasionally winning 8? 

If having stacks of cash but sucking is fine with you then great.  But it is not for the majority of us.  I would only have a passing interest at that point.

Edited by runningblind
9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

No, turning into Minny or Purdue is being done for Nebraska football. Would you really be ok with fighting for a bowl every year and occasionally winning 8? 

If having stacks of cash but sucking is fine with you then great.  But it is not for the majority of us.  I would only have a passing interest at that point.

Its not fine with me but those teams can still have an upward trajectory with the right people in place. The idea that if Frost fails Husker football is over is such hyperbole. I tend to find 'the sky is falling' takes pretty short sighted.

Some people have passion for the program despite the results.

Edited by Nebfanatic

Too many folks on here think this is about just $$, it's not. The main issue is the contract states if Riley takes a job it needs to be at fair market value. The point of that clause is to prevent fired coaches from screwing their previous university by working for next to nothing at their new job. That clause was in there to protect Nebraska interests and offset buyout if he takes a new job. I am eager to find out if there is more behind the scenes between Riley and Nebraska, if not he is breaching the contract which if we don't hold people to the contract why have one? 

Nebraska is rich as hell but that doesn't mean we let Riley breach the contract. It's more about principle and less about $$.. we knew when we fired him he may not get another job and we pay the whole buyout- that would be fine. But if you are going to work somewhere- don't cheat 

• Plus1 1