Saunders

Mike Riley’s salary at Oregon State... $50k.

8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

That is exactly what I was saying to the other dude, but he thinks I am naive. :thumbs

13 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

tOSU's athletic revenue is nearly $100,000,000 more than OSU's. 

The latest figures I can find from USA Today show only one Power 5 conference school with lower revenue than Oregon State and that would be the program our AD came from.  So if you're going to look at average salaries, realize Oregon State's revenue is closer to Central Florida's than Marylands'.

Guys, the lowest paid assistant coach at oregon state last year was 200,004 Cory Hall. So how do we explain that. I dont care where they compare to Ohio State or Maryland. Facts say their lowest paid guy last year was 200k. 

41 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Guys, the lowest paid assistant coach at oregon state last year was 200,004 Cory Hall. So how do we explain that. I dont care where they compare to Ohio State or Maryland. Facts say their lowest paid guy last year was 200k. 

I think Corey Hall was their interim HC after Gary Anderson quit mid season so 200k for an interim HC seems pretty low.

Bottom line though, as already pointed out, we don't have all the details and are jumping to conclusions.  It could very well be that MR and N have agreed to an offset that is higher than the 50K he's accepted from OSU.  Until we find that out it's all hot air, but that's what we do on message boards, take a fraction of the story an run with it : )

Notre Dame is the 4th most profitable CFB school to my knowledge. Brian Kelly makes $1.62M....I get that Ohio St has way more money than Oregon St but $50k is laughable. Hell, you can make $30k at McDonald's. Either way I don't really care about Mike anymore. We got Frost 

Edited by BIG ERN

26 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Notre Dame is the 4th most profitable CFB school to my knowledge. Brian Kelly makes $1.62M....I get that Ohio St has way more money than Oregon St but $50k is laughable. Hell, you can make $30k at McDonald's. Either way I don't really care about Mike anymore. We got Frost 

Notre dame is no lower than the 2nd most profitable and likely at the top.   They don't release their budget numbers and even if they did, it would be a modified number after the money they kick back into the university.  

1 hour ago, LaunchCode said:

I think Corey Hall was their interim HC after Gary Anderson quit mid season so 200k for an interim HC seems pretty low.

Bottom line though, as already pointed out, we don't have all the details and are jumping to conclusions.  It could very well be that MR and N have agreed to an offset that is higher than the 50K he's accepted from OSU.  Until we find that out it's all hot air, but that's what we do on message boards, take a fraction of the story an run with it : )

Here is the Oregon State coaches pay from last year, it wasn't $200,000 as the interim, the article was published before Andersen left.

The asterisk notes that this does not include the $75k from being interim.

146 Oregon State Pac-12 Kevin Clune $450,000 $450,000 $119,443 $2,590,032 --
206 Oregon State Pac-12 Kevin McGiven $375,000 $375,000 $106,943 $2,590,032 --
209 Oregon State Pac-12 T.J. Woods $375,000 $375,000 $106,943 $2,590,032 --
342 Oregon State Pac-12 Chad Kauha'aha'a $290,004 $290,004 $92,777 $2,590,032 --
400 Oregon State Pac-12 Dave Baldwin $250,008 $250,008 $86,111 $2,590,032 --
442 Oregon State Pac-12 Telly Lockette $230,004 $230,004 $82,777 $2,590,032 --
469 Oregon State Pac-12 Jason Phillips $220,008 $220,008 $81,111 $2,590,032 --
496 Oregon State Pac-12 John Rushing $200,004 $200,004 $77,777 $2,590,032 --
497 Oregon State Pac-12 Cory Hall $200,004 $200,004 $77,777 $2,590,032

--

Edited by HuskerNBigD

12 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Notre dame is no lower than the 2nd most profitable and likely at the top.   They don't release their budget numbers and even if they did, it would be a modified number after the money they kick back into the university.  

4th, according to this article.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2017/05/richest_college_football_progr.html

Edited by HuskerNBigD

1 hour ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Not sure that I buy that article.   TAMU is by far the richest athletic department in the country of schools that report earnings.  Not sure if they were just focusing on football or leaving out licensing rights but there's no way that list is correct.  

4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I would pay him $5M to not coach at Nebraska. $60k a year is a bargain 

Well, technically  we're paying him most of $3M not to coach at Nebraska.

But that still might be a bargain.

This is complete BS.  In the absence of some already settled upon buyout reduction, NU better have their lawyers on top of this.  If they don't, it means one of two things:  NU screwed up big time with MR's contract OR NU has so much money that they will just let this slide because they may not want to risk any bad pub.  If it's the latter, I'm going to be very disappointed and will think real hard about future donations, because they obviously don't need them.

4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

What the hell is an assistant head coach then? He coaches or he just gets the head coach his coffee?

Um no silly - he gets ice cream

34 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

This is complete BS.  In the absence of some already settled upon buyout reduction, NU better have their lawyers on top of this.  If they don't, it means one of two things:  NU screwed up big time with MR's contract OR NU has so much money that they will just let this slide because they may not want to risk any bad pub.  If it's the latter, I'm going to be very disappointed and will think real hard about future donations, because they obviously don't need them.

Bad pub for what?   We fired the coach who brought us out worst season in 50 years.  He then proceeded to screw us with a contract that is less than 25% of the going rate.    Litigating is only bad if you're being a jerk.   We wouldn't be a jerk here, we would be holding a jerk accountable.  

21 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Mike Riley is worth $0 as a coach. I think Nebraska might actually be getting a bargain. 

As much as i want to be all up in arms over his nonsense salary, i can't help but think we got still the better end of the deal.

Someome stroke teachs' ego and tell him Riley is a jerk, he needs this.

Edited by Redux

I know I shouldn't announce this but I'm drunk.

I make more than a Nebraska former head coach now.

AWESOME!

Edited by Moiraine

If Riley and NU didn’t enter into a separation agreement that changed up the buyout, then NU should sue.  It could easily get some of the money back, likely with a quick settlement.  In fact, It’s such an obvious invitation to litigate that there has to be more to the story.

Yeah I'm not jumping to any conclusions here, I expect there to be a pretty simple explination for all this.

Edited by Redux

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

AWESOME!

HR does not approve of Moiraine sharing when drunk!

I don't know why people think they have to not talk about salary just because HR says not to.

Screw HR! 

All I know is there is some people on this board I would not want to be in charge of managing finances for any organization. Just because Lincoln has the $$ and is in good financial situation. Doesn't mean we should say oh well, mike is a good guy- good business move on his part. Bend us over- it's no big deal we are rich.

To me it's about principle and letter of the law per the contract. If he is contracted to accept an offer at fair market value then that's what he should do. 50k is ridiculous at P5 level. 

29 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

All I know is there is some people on this board I would not want to be in charge of managing finances for any organization. Just because Lincoln has the $$ and is in good financial situation. Doesn't mean we should say oh well, mike is a good guy- good business move on his part. Bend us over- it's no big deal we are rich.

To me it's about principle and letter of the law per the contract. If he is contracted to accept an offer at fair market value then that's what he should do. 50k is ridiculous at P5 level. 

Agreed.  Does then mean we can finally put the “Mike Riley is nice guy” s#!t to rest now?

This thread cracks me up.  So many people fired up and demanding action without even questioning or wanting to know what all the facts of the matter are.  Good lord I hope I"m never wrongly accused of a crime and end up with a jury who decides innocence and guilt before the testimony even begins. 

MR doesn't use an agent, if he was trying to milk dollars from anyone he'd have an agent.  He also wouldn't have stayed at OSU as long as he did when better more lucrative offers came his way if he put that high a priority on money.  I'm willing to bet he's had communication with N during this process and has no problem with setting an offset for his N contract at a reasonable salary amount for his new position something like 250k even though he's getting paid 50K. 

That said, lets be clear here, it wasn't MR who broke the contract in the first place, it was N who broke it by not honoring the specified contractual period he was to be HC, a time period both agreed upon when signing the contract.  The contract is there to protect both parties.  Once Nebraska decided not to live up to their end of the contract they knew the consequences and the price tag and now need to live up to what they agreed upon. 

57 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

This thread cracks me up.  So many people fired up and demanding action without even questioning or wanting to know what all the facts of the matter are.  Good lord I hope I"m never wrongly accused of a crime and end up with a jury who decides innocence and guilt before the testimony even begins.

You realize this is a message board and Riley's not going to jail, right?

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

AWESOME!

Me too, a lot of them are dead.

6 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

MR doesn't use an agent, if he was trying to milk dollars from anyone he'd have an agent.  He also wouldn't have stayed at OSU as long as he did when better more lucrative offers came his way if he put that high a priority on money.  I'm willing to bet he's had communication with N during this process and has no problem with setting an offset for his N contract at a reasonable salary amount for his new position something like 250k even though he's getting paid 50K. 

That said, lets be clear here, it wasn't MR who broke the contract in the first place, it was N who broke it by not honoring the specified contractual period he was to be HC, a time period both agreed upon when signing the contract.  The contract is there to protect both parties.  Once Nebraska decided not to live up to their end of the contract they knew the consequences and the price tag and now need to live up to what they agreed upon. 

Well !! You are just making to much sense for us.

:lol:

GBR!!!

10 hours ago, Redux said:

Someome stroke teachs' ego and tell him Riley is a jerk, he needs this.

VICTORY!!!!

I will take any crumbs I can get!

It's the cost of doing business. If Mike Riley wants to flip hamburgers in the cafeteria for minimum wage, who cares? 

On the other hand, we sue him to save 400k to a million over 5 years? Awesome, we'll look like the parent in divorce who can't move on. 

Edited by theknife

1 minute ago, theknife said:

It's the cost of doing business. If Mike Riley wants to flip hamburgers in the cafeteria for minimum wage, who cares? 

On the other hand, we sue him to save 400k to a million over 5 years? Awesome, we'll look like the parent in divorce who can't move on. 

I agree.  I don't care what he does and I am fine with him getting every penny from that contract, I would want it all too.

You’re still missing the point.  No one disputes that he gets all that is owed to him.  That is Nebraska’s end of the deal.  Riley’s end of the deal is that if he took employment from anywhere else, his salary had to be compared with industry standards.  As it stands right now, that isn’t the case.  

I dont care care if he doesn’t work at all and Nebraska pays him in full.  But if he wants to coach, he shouldn’t be allowed to game the rules of the contract to benefit Oregon St.

I don’t think Mike is doing it to be a jerk. Base on his tenure here, i think he’s just oblivious to what’s going on.

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

You’re still missing the point.  No one disputes that he gets all that is owed to him.  That is Nebraska’s end of the deal.  Riley’s end of the deal is that if he took employment from anywhere else, his salary had to be compared with industry standards.  As it stands right now, that isn’t the case.  

I dont care care if he doesn’t work at all and Nebraska pays him in full.  But if he wants to coach, he shouldn’t be allowed to game the rules of the contract to benefit Oregon St.

Don’t forget, Oregon State saved MILLIONS of dollars when Gary Anderson voluntarily walked away.

From Oregon State's point of view, they are simply taking back what was 'theirs' to begin with - we did hire Riley away from them three years ago.  Oregon State had to go out and replace him at a cost to them no doubt.   I think it's good that they are paying the $50,000.  That's about $150000 they are giving to NU to buy him back after we stole him.   If you want to think of how the other side looks at it.   Imagine if an NFL team decides to hire Scott Frost away from NU this summer, for example.  They would pay the buy out (whatever that is) but I'm afraid that Nebraska fans would be so outraged they might burn down the NFL team's stadium in reaction.   

From UCF viewpoint, we stole Frost and after a dream season and such high hopes for a long happy football future to boot!   That has got to be rough.  

The problem is the buy out clause needs to be redone in the contracts to become a lump sum of perhaps half the remaining salary and that's it.  Or there needs to be specific performance levels (number or percentage of games won, etc) to satisfy the contract on the part of the coach.   He either won enough or he didn't.  

9 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

We didnt break the contract.  Part of the contract is the ability to fire the employee prior to term and the specifics on how things go from there were laid out for both parties.   Riley HAS broken his end of the contract because 1. He didn't pursue comparable employment and 2. He didn't secure market value wages for his new employment.   

Bo took a head coaching job at a lower level school and received the same contract value as the man he replaced.   That would be tough to argue in court.   If he had taken that job and received 1/4 of what his predecessor did then it would have been a different story, but that's exactly what Riley has done.  

We should really wait for all of the facts. All I'm saying is I don't think Mike is a complete idiot and he likely understands his contract and buyout. Both MR and OSU should know MR is in for a lawsuit if they were trying to milk NU for as much as possible in this fashion. I know alot of you don't really like the guy, but I really don't think he is that dumb he would try robbing the bank without a mask on. If he really is trying to 'game the system' like many are suggesting, that will be dealt with swiftly. 

19 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Who the F#&# CARES! 

18 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Brian Kelly makes close to 7 million dollars a year bro

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

A lot of people bro. 

It affects you zero, you know what is hilarious about this?  The fact that people still whine about how Bo was so bad and a butthat, hated fans (false narrative), ect.  But Mike was such a great guy, until he steals money from the University.  You people are the most two timing bunch of fans in the world. 

2 hours ago, Saunders said:

I don’t think Mike is doing it to be a jerk. Base on his tenure here, i think he’s just oblivious to what’s going on.

He knows what he’s doing.  And so does Oregon St

9 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

It affects you zero, you know what is hilarious about this?  The fact that people still whine about how Bo was so bad and a butthat, hated fans (false narrative), ect.  But Mike was such a great guy, until he steals money from the University.  You people are the most two timing bunch of fans in the world. 

lol what the hell?

Lots of serial killers are considered great people until they're caught. An extreme example but your post is just weird. 

People can change their minds about things when they have more information. Or question an individual action, which is the case here.

Edited by Moiraine

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

He knows what he’s doing.  And so does Oregon St

You make so many assumptions

3 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

You are clueless, it's our team and university. If Riley is at least 150k under paid over 4 years. I am pretty sure 600k would benefit some sport at Nebraska. 

I have no idea what your point about bo and Riley is.