Saunders

Mike Riley’s salary at Oregon State... $50k.

Seriously I dont understand how that is allowed. Shouldnt it be required to pay someone within a relatively acceptable range for their job title? Assistant Head Coach- 50k? 

I know a few people that will applaud Sir Riley for being so noble and accepting this salary.  

I think it is freaking awesome

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Seriously I dont understand how that is allowed. Shouldnt it be required to pay someone within a relatively acceptable range for their job title? Assistant Head Coach- 50k? 

Yeah, usually there’s some sort of market value clause.

Just now, Saunders said:

So other than Riley. Who is the lowest paid assistant on the staff? I would assume assistant head head salary should be somewhere between the OC/DC and the head coach? 

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

There is a clause and he and Oregon St don't appear to be abiding by it

I guess it can't really be on OSU, can it?  I mean, a contract from NU can't force OSU to pay a certain amount, right?  This would all be on Riley, is that right?

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

There is a clause and he and Oregon St don't appear to be abiding by it

Seems that way. Head Coach at oregon state makes 1.9 million. DC makes 735k and OC makes 430k. The next highest assistant is at 250k

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I guess it can't really be on OSU, can it?  I mean, a contract from NU can't force OSU to pay a certain amount, right?  This would all be on Riley, is that right?

I am sure nebraska could say ok. Whatever mike riley's job title is. The last 5 years history shows that position has made 450k. You are paying Riley 50k to stick it to NU. There has to be something about that.

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I am sure nebraska could say ok. Whatever mike riley's job title is. The last 5 years history shows that position has made 450k. You are paying Riley 50k to stick it to NU. There has to be something about that.

You might be right, I have no idea how those things would work.

I think it's kinda funny that Riley is only making $50K.  It doesn't bother me at all that this isn't going to significantly reduce NU's payments to him.  Riley would probably be a volunteer coach at Oregon State, if it were allowed.

Honestly, I think it has more to do with OSU being able to pay other coaches, assistants and such more knowing they don't have to pay MR than specifically sticking it to the Huskers.  I think Mike Riley has more class than that.  

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it's kinda funny that Riley is only making $50K.  It doesn't bother me at all that this isn't going to significantly reduce NU's payments to him.  Riley would probably be a volunteer coach at Oregon State, if it were allowed.

I totally agree.  Like I said, I hope he gets every cent from NU.  It is the dream...getting paid to not work.  If anything I am jealous of him.

I would love to read his contract, specifically the mitigation of damages and market value clauses, negotiated by Eichorst. Riley is spitting in Nebraska's face with this act. I vaguely remember an uproar when Bo Pelini took a job as a Head Coach, at a Division I program, making the same base salary as his predecessor ($213,894).

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know a way to make this all better. Lets take the Eichorst buyout away from him and use it to pay off Riley since that was his dumbass hire.

Riley’s contract also states that “within a reasonably brief period following termination, Coach shall use his or her best efforts to seek and secure substantially comparable employment including the customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment, without structuring or timing compensation to avoid mitigation.”

For example, if Riley were to take a position that paid $600,000 annually, the $50,000 per month would lower the NU obligations from $170,000 to $120,000.

This was from an article back in November, before he was fired.  Kaipust got the $50 K right, but the time-frame wrong.  Per YEAR.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/nebraska-owes-mike-riley-compensation-similar-to-the-costs-involved/article_21f71840-c643-11e7-84a5-3b411889e684.html

Edited by Kiyoat Husker

50k a year for the lousy job he did here would have been about right too . On one hand it’s a crying shame we have to waste money paying him off , but on the other Its worth whatever the cost was to get him gone . 

Edited by Big Red 40

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Yeah... I''m guessing that includes FCS, D-II, D-III and NAIA.

Asst. Head Coach has recently been used as a way to justify overpaying assistant coaches that recruit well (in FBS)

Edited by Kiyoat Husker

2 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Asst. Head Coach has recently been used as a way to justify overpaying assistant coaches that recruit well (in FBS)

Yea, I have no idea the parameters of Erin's search, but that's the only somewhat-concrete justification for his salary that I've seen

6 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

If it does, then that's not going to be valid and the lawyers are gonna be unleashed by Nebraska. Oregon State, contrary to their football history, is a P5 school, and I'm sure as hell that the average salary for his position at a P5 school is a lot more than $50k/year.

BTW, Kiyoat Husker, your sig makes me depressed every time I see it. :D

Edited by VectorVictor

38 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Yep.  This is a lawsuit waiting to happen and would be an easy win for the university.  It's almost as obvious as if he were to work for 1$ per year and is an obvious breach of contract.   If they choose to pursue it (they wont) it could negate the entire buyout clause.  

I believe Greg Schiano has the same title and he made $700k last year. Sorensen is pretty dumb to think that $48k would be anywhere close unless we are talking about high school or D3 football. 

10 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

It has to.  I can't imagine the average salary of a d1 assistant coach is under 100,000, let alone an assistant head coach.   

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:
732 UCLA Pac-12 Scott White

$107,500

Scott White with UCLA was the lowest paid assistant coach in the PAC12 last year.

Sounds like he was getting...white washed.

Get it

Just now, teachercd said:

Sounds like he was getting...white washed.

Get it

If you scroll the whole list you dont really start finding consistent assistant coaching salaries from P5 schools until you hit around 175k

1 minute ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Image result for csi miami sunglasses gif

David!!!!

Remember he left, was it NYPD Blue?  Thinking he was going to be a movie star.

30 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

BTW, Kiyoat Husker, your sig makes me depressed every time I see it. :D

Yeah.  I thought I had been getting a cold response on the board lately.  Maybe I need to "retire" it for a while...

Also: I didn't realize that I had "double uploaded" that image after editing it to update the graphic.  I usually browse the board with sigs turned off.

Thanks, everyone, for not telling me my "fly was down". :facepalm:

Edited by Kiyoat Husker

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

David!!!!

Remember he left, was it NYPD Blue?  Thinking he was going to be a movie star.

Would be better with the music.  Your post sounded exactly like a cheezy line from him at the start of a CSI Miami show.

34 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I believe Greg Schiano has the same title and he made $700k last year. Sorensen is pretty dumb to think that $48k would be anywhere close unless we are talking about high school or D3 football. 

You're really going to compare Ohio State, maybe the highest salary example, to the average in all of college football?  And she is the one who doesn't understand?

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You're really going to compare Ohio State, maybe the highest salary example, to the average in all of college football?  And she is the one who doesn't understand?

I think he is just pointing out how the average of D1 asst coaches is way higher than 48k.

I think...I don't know for sure.

This is about Riley (and Oregon St) expecting Nebraska to hold up their end of the contract while he doesn't.  If the job's comparable salary was $50K, then so be it.  But it's not and they are trying to game the agreement.  

24 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Mike Riley has been coaching for over 30 years in the NFL, Oregon State, and just Nebraska for piss sakes. You think that job was posted for $50k? You can't be that naive. 

48 minutes ago, runningblind said:

tOSU's athletic revenue is nearly $100,000,000 more than OSU's. 

The latest figures I can find from USA Today show only one Power 5 conference school with lower revenue than Oregon State and that would be the program our AD came from.  So if you're going to look at average salaries, realize Oregon State's revenue is closer to Central Florida's than Marylands'.

1 minute ago, LaunchCode said:

tOSU's athletic revenue is nearly $100,000,000 more than OSU's. 

The latest figures I can find from USA Today show only one Power 5 conference school with lower revenue than Oregon State and that would be the program our AD came from.  So if you're going to look at average salaries, realize Oregon State's revenue is closer to Central Florida's than Marylands'.

That is exactly what I was saying to the other dude, but he thinks I am naive. :thumbs

Who are these Bo Pelini and Mike Riley characters you people are talking about?

If I were either of these characters I would take as much money from my former employer as possible.  As would every single person on here.

Just now, Pedro Guerrero said:

Who are these Bo Pelini and Mike Riley characters you people are talking about?

If I were either of these characters I would take as much money from my former employer as possible.  As would every single person on here.

You're missing the point.

Nebraska should pay them everything they are owed.  IF THEY STAY UNEMPLOYED.

Once you take a job, the contract states that the job taken has to be paid comparable to other jobs of the same position.  Riley and Bo agreed to this.  And only one of them honored it

I realize that the MO around here is to overreact before all the facts are in but there is no way Riley and OSU are sticking it to Nebraska. I'm quite sure his remaining contract will be mitigated by the going rate for the job and not by the paltry $50k. I'd bet the actual amount has already been agreed to and MR is just giving OSU a deal and Nebraska will be using somewhere closer to $200k mitigation (or whatever that position typically pays). You and I may be concerned about $100k per year but I doubt it's a blip on the screen for MR.

Edited by Comfortably Numb