Hello autonomous cars

I, for one, am all for this.  Not only self driving cars, I can imagine in about 20 years, where no one in my family will own a car.  Just request one when we need it and it takes us where we go.  Why pay insurance or car payments when I can just have an uber-service for a flat monthly fee?  And no one would need to drive me around.   No more car accidents, reduced emissions, no more reliance on fossil fuels.  So many other benefits.

If the Department of Transportation grants GM's latest Safety Petition, the automaker will be able to deploy its no-steering-wheel, pedal-less autonomous car next year. GM has not only revealed what its level 4 self-driving vehicle will look like -- in a video you can watch after the break -- but also announced that it filed a Safety Petition to be able to deploy its completely driverless version of Chevy Bolt called Cruise AV in 2019. The company describes it as "the first production-ready vehicle built from the start to operate safely on its own, with no driver, steering wheel, pedals or manual controls."

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/12/gm-fully-autonomous-car-no-wheel-2018/

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, sho said:

I, for one, am all for this.  Not only self driving cars, I can imagine in about 20 years, where no one in my family will own a car.  Just request one when we need it and it takes us where we go.  Why pay insurance or car payments when I can just have an uber-service for a flat monthly fee?  And no one would need to drive me around.   No more car accidents, reduced emissions, no more reliance on fossil fuels.  So many other benefits.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/12/gm-fully-autonomous-car-no-wheel-2018/

I like it!  I wish Omaha had more/better mass transit.  So this idea would be cool

This would also enable better ride-sharing, require fewer taxis/uber/lyft vehicles on the road, make electric vehicles even more practical, and need less parking lots. Another 10-15 years and less than 50% of people will drive anymore is my guess. And, depending on the accident rates of autonomous vehicles, car insurance may go up for those who continue to drive themselves.

Another factor for this, it gives the aging generation more chance to stay independent.  I know for me, the time is not too far into the future where I'll be talking to my parents (both early 80s) about relinquishing their driver's license.  Now, outside of really not being able to drive, they are fully capable of living independently.  Either they would have to pay a lot on a regular basis for cabs or ubers to get to their many doctor appointments, and the grocery store or anywhere else to travel or move to some sort of assisted facility.  It's going to be a tough talk, but they shouldn't be on the road much longer.  That said, if they could get one of these, they wouldn't have to move from the family home, which they have owned for 30 years.

• Plus1 2

I am for this...I think.  Human error accouts for, I'm guessing, 99.3% of all traffics accidents.  If we take out the human, there will be far less accidents.  Also, driverless cars can go faster and merge more seamlessly onto a busy street or highway with minimal congestion or slowdown.  Think of it, no more rush hour traffic delays because Johnny Human Dumbass doesn't know how to merge properly then causes a domino effect of people behind him who have to slow down because he didn't get up to speed and take that natural gap.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...