Democrats.. liars or did they see something else?

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Good point. Nebraskans seemed to have no problem voting for Jim Exon while also pulling the lever for Richard Nixon. Bob Kerrey won elections in the Reagan era. 

Okay. Maybe that was awhile ago. 

Let's not forget that Republican leadership found Husker legend Tom Osborne's brand of Christian compassion a little too squishy and pushed the state to hard right adherence. I don't think there's been legitimate populism in the state for at least 20 years.

Ben Nelson

Bob Kerry

Jim Exon

All of whom actually became Senators too.

20 hours ago, Bornhusker said:

lol, oh gotcha.. So that site doesn't work, though they did give evidence to back their claim. What site would you accept?

I do not think that Trumps thinks his race is superior to other races.

I think that if you are willing to say great things about Donald Trump in public, he doesn't care if you're black or white. And frankly he'd like it better if you were black, so he could point to you and prove he's the least racist person you've ever seen. 

But if the members of your country club are almost all white, and the only people of color you engage with are servants, it's extremely likely you think your race is superior to other races.

38 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Image result for bruh

Or Oklahoma.  In 1980 OKLA was 100% Dem prior to the election.  State wide offices, state house and senate, US Congress.  The Reagan revolution occurred and that was the beginning.  Now the state is 100% repub - Congress, State wide offices and state senate and house.  I think the state has problems, not because of republicans in itself but because of a lack of strong ideas to create more balance - due to the lack of strong Democrats bringing a  different perspective on issues. 

I use to kid my Sooner fan friends that the only thing between Okla and a great team was Kansas.  Well I hope Scott Frost makes that a reality again and I hope our citizens can make Okla

better by voting in  a more diverse group into the state offices. 

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Or Oklahoma.  In 1980 OKLA was 100% Dem prior to the election.  State wide offices, state house and senate, US Congress.  The Reagan revolution occurred and that was the beginning.  Now the state is 100% repub - Congress, State wide offices and state senate and house.  I think the state has problems, not because of republicans in itself but because of a lack of strong ideas to create more balance - due to the lack of strong Democrats bringing a  different perspective on issues. 

I use to kid my Sooner fan friends that the only thing between Okla and a great team was Kansas.  Well I hope Scott Frost makes that a reality again and I hope our citizens can make Okla

better by voting in  a more diverse group into the state offices. 

The family my wife works for are both from Kansas and both parents still live there and one is a former state representative. I guess I sympathized with the Brownback experiment gone wrong and the crippling effect it has had on the state.

I am not as aware of Oklahoma issues outside of some of the oil revenue reliance and the shortfalls caused by declining prices. Proximity causes more awareness.

Also - speaking of used to be respectable, great article about Chuck Hagals' thoughts on what's going on right now:

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/federal-politics/hagel-says-trump-an-embarrassment/article_1b50e1fd-d4b3-51e0-8281-1ddf8f82d709.html

"We have not really seen these kind of times since Watergate and Vietnam," Nebraska's former U.S. senator and former U.S. secretary of defense said during a wide-ranging telephone interview from Washington.

While President Donald Trump is at the heart of all of this, "intentionally dividing the country and the world," pulling away from alliances that have benefited America and abandoning trade agreements that have been in U.S. interests, he is not the only catalyst in play, Hagel said.

"Donald Trump is doing great damage to our country internationally," Hagel said. "He's an embarrassment."

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, deedsker said:

The family my wife works for are both from Kansas and both parents still live there and one is a former state representative. I guess I sympathized with the Brownback experiment gone wrong and the crippling effect it has had on the state.

I am not as aware of Oklahoma issues outside of some of the oil revenue reliance and the shortfalls caused by declining prices. Proximity causes more awareness.

Yes, Oklahoma's issue is at the core poor budget planning which gets exposed by the oil revenue issue.  This state needs to do a better job of placing a priority on education and health care - two large issues that show us lagging far behind other states.  These issues become an obstacle to economic development and diversification of our economy.  The budget is to reliant on oil revenue and when the nipple goes try, the pig shrivels up.  So we have this $6-800m shortfall and the state legislature has been doing special session after special session to 'fix' it.   Fortunately or maybe not depending on one's view point - oil prices are moving up. Unfortunate in the fact that it could reinforce old budget habits without the state making sound structural changes to wean us off of the sow.

Edited by TGHusker
1 hour ago, Bornhusker said:

what a change in just two short years for Chuck..

On DACA? Oh and a nice little bonus from Obama at the end..

Trump doesn't want to pause and vet refugees he wants them to go somewhere else. Big difference. Where'd you get these videos, facebook? 

• Plus1 1

@Bornhusker I actually think it's perfectly appropriate to point out hypocritical politicians.  I think these questions should be asked all the time when it happens.

Similar to asking Republicans why they first proposed many of the portions of the ACA that they now are totally distraught over as being unconstitutional and destroying American lives.

Similar to asking Trump and his supporters about him, not that long ago, supporting Obama's statements on gun control, abortion rights, using immigrant labor in his businesses, supporting both Clintons for President and defending them against accusations only to turn around in his election and call her a criminal and said he would put her in jail......only to totally turn against that notion again when elected?

How about Trump claiming his accusers are lying only to turn around and act like he supports accusers of other famous people?

How about the Republicans doing everything they could to cause a government shut down and not working with Democrats to prevent it.....only to turn tail on the issue now that they are in power and blame Democrats for being horrible people and possibly causing a government shut down?  And....obviously vise versa on this with the Democrats.

Hey....I'm fine getting all the double talk and hypocritical statements and actions on the table.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 4

Exactly, BRB.  These people ostensibly work for us, so holding them accountable is perfectly fine. 

Of course, what I really want is Moderates in power, promulgating reasonable laws that benefit as many Americans as possible.  Some Republicans fit that description, as do some Democrats.  The Bernies and Pelosis of the political world are not compatible with that definition any more than the McConnells or Ryans.  Whoever's in charge, it's our responsibility as Citizens to watch them, and to protest when they break troth with Americans.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Exactly, BRB.  These people ostensibly work for us, so holding them accountable is perfectly fine. 

Of course, what I really want is Moderates in power, promulgating reasonable laws that benefit as many Americans as possible.  Some Republicans fit that description, as do some Democrats.  The Bernies and Pelosis of the political world are not compatible with that definition any more than the McConnells or Ryans.  Whoever's in charge, it's our responsibility as Citizens to watch them, and to protest when they break troth with Americans.

I'd be ok with non-moderate politicians if we had a variety of voices and they could actually compromise. Then we'd (hopefully) get some left, some right, and some middle policies, which in the aggregate would make us moderate.

What we need and will never get (maybe we had it before) is a congress full of individuals who try to do what's best for the country. People won't always agree on what's best for the country but I want the individuals in congress to at the very least try to do that.

We don't have that now. We have a congress with a bunch of self-serving aholes, and lots of mega corporations willing to help them make decisions.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

@Bornhusker I actually think it's perfectly appropriate to point out hypocritical politicians.  I think these questions should be asked all the time when it happens.

Similar to asking Republicans why they first proposed many of the portions of the ACA that they now are totally distraught over as being unconstitutional and destroying American lives.

Similar to asking Trump and his supporters about him, not that long ago, supporting Obama's statements on gun control, abortion rights, using immigrant labor in his businesses, supporting both Clintons for President and defending them against accusations only to turn around in his election and call her a criminal and said he would put her in jail......only to totally turn against that notion again when elected?

How about Trump claiming his accusers are lying only to turn around and act like he supports accusers of other famous people?

How about the Republicans doing everything they could to cause a government shut down and not working with Democrats to prevent it.....only to turn tail on the issue now that they are in power and blame Democrats for being horrible people and possibly causing a government shut down?  And....obviously vise versa on this with the Democrats.

Hey....I'm fine getting all the double talk and hypocritical statements and actions on the table.

+1  This is an unassailable (and non-partisan) argument.

Image result for funny nodding gif

• Plus1 1