Bracketology

Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?

• Yes
    • No, and no postseason tournament
    • No, but makes NIT

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2018 at 11:17 PM

https://theathletic.com/250180/2018/02/23/the-fieldhouse-bubble-watch-oklahoma-and-the-lock-thats-not-a-lock/

Nebraska (21-9, 12-5 – RPI: 59, SOS: 101):

The Cornhuskers' bubble case has always been defined by two things: 1) marquee wins and the lack thereof, and 2) the essential weirdness of the 2017-18 Big Ten. On Jan. 22, Nebraska lost a five-point grinder at Ohio State. It hasn't played a tournament team since. The Cornhuskers held the line admirably in the six straight wins they racked up afterward, but they were never going to get a chance to meaningfully alter the top of their résumé before the Big Ten tournament. Instead of having a chance to make a proactive, late-season push into the field, they were essentially doing damage control, trying to avoid ugly losses at every turn.

Last Sunday's defeat at Illinois seriously hurts, but so does the fact that after the season closer against Penn State, Tim Miles's team will have a lot left to do in a Big Ten tournament that contains exactly four legitimately impactful potential opponents. From Jan. 23 on, Nebraska might as well have been Middle Tennessee.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, pearljammer said:

I think Lunardi and Palm are straight up trolling us. Any other year our record would be a lock for the tourney. I’m not buying 8 teams from the Big 12. 

We have a terrible SOS. I think we have one of worst SOS of any major conference team. Record inflated by the weakness of the conference and Nebraska not playing top 3 teams more than once. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Why are there tournament regions when the games are played all over the place and the teams are from all over the place?

long story short the ncaa seeds by geography for something like seeds 1-3 in each bracket based off their S-Curve 

While the regions are named for certain cities, the first and second round games are played in different cities which need not be anywhere near the regional finals. In 2005 the Austin, Texas men's regional was fed by games in Indianapolis, Indiana; Tucson, Arizona; Charlotte, North Carolina; and Worcester, Massachusetts. This is due to the "pod" system enacted before the 2002 tournament to minimize travel for as many teams as possible, especially in the early rounds. Any team may be sent to any region and any pod, although the tournament does try to keep teams, especially the top-seeded teams, closer to home. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_basketball_tournament_selection_process#Making_the_brackets

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, huskersrule95 said:

We have a terrible SOS. I think we have one of worst SOS of any major conference team. Record inflated by the weakness of the conference and Nebraska not playing top 3 teams more than once. 

But just last week I saw a SOS from ESPN showing Michigan at 55 and Nebraska at 56.