Bracketology

Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?

• Yes
    • No, and no postseason tournament
    • No, but makes NIT

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2018 at 11:17 PM

14 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I know everyone has written us off... but does Michigan dominating the tournament and becoming B1G Champs help improve our look at all? They are taking it to everyone sans Iowa.

Part of the reason I thought being the #5 seed wouldn't be such a bad thing.  Get an "easier" game under your belt and get settled in.  Then go from there.

But to answer your question, no, I don't think it will help.  Makes our one "good" win look better but it's still just one good win.

37 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I know everyone has written us off... but does Michigan dominating the tournament and becoming B1G Champs help improve our look at all? They are taking it to everyone sans Iowa.

No

However it strengthens a one seed in the NIT argument

Edited by PaulCrewe

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/bubblewatch030618/one-game-season-tourney-hopefuls#BigTen

On more than one occasion in recent years, the committee has shown itself capable of surprising us utterly and completely. Whether it was the bid UCLA received in 2015, or the one that Tulsa snagged in 2016, it has almost seemed at times that the committee affirmatively enjoys zigging when every other projected bracket zags.

Which brings Bubble Watch to Nebraska. The Cornhuskers likely need a Tulsa-level hand grenade from the committee in order to get into this field. They have a home win against Michigan, and that's it in terms of victories against at-large-level opponents.

As Tim Miles himself pointed out, that one-point loss to Kansas in Lincoln in December looms rather large.

• Plus1 1

I think most of us realize Nebraska's chances are basically gone.  However, it's still interesting to see how the conference tournaments are going, so here's a quick rundown of where they stand:

Tournament Championship

EARNED AUTOMATIC BID (7)  -  25 Conference Tournaments Remain To Be Completed

Should Earn At-Large Bid (34)

On the Bubble (28)

POWER 6

ACC: Saturday (Virginia, Duke, Clemson, North Carolina, NC State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame)

Big 12: Saturday (Kansas, West Virginia, Texas Tech, TCU, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas)

Big East: Saturday (Xavier, Villanova, Creighton, Seton Hall, Butler, Providence, Marquette)

Big Ten: MICHIGAN (Michigan State, Purdue, Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State)

Pac-12: Saturday (Arizona, USC, UCLA, Utah, WashingtonArizona State)

SEC: Sunday (Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Missouri, Alabama, Mississippi State)

Other conferences with possible At-Large teams:

America East: Saturday (Vermont)

American: Sunday (Cincinnati, Wichita State, Houston)

Atlantic 10: Sunday (Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure)

Conference USA: Saturday (Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky)

Missouri Valley: LOYOLA-CHICAGO

Mountain West: Saturday (Nevada, Boise State)

Summit: Tuesday (South Dakota State)

Sun Belt: Sunday (Louisiana)

West Coast: Tuesday (Gonzaga, St. Mary's)

WAC: Saturday (New Mexico State)

Conferences with only 1 bid no matter what:

Atlantic Sun: LIPSCOMB

Big Sky: Saturday

Big South: RADFORD

Big West: Saturday

Colonial: Tuesday

Horizon: Tuesday

Ivy: Sunday

Metro Atlantic: IONA

MAC: Saturday

MEAC: Saturday

Northeast: Tuesday

Ohio Valley: MURRAY STATE

Patriot: Wednesday

Southern: UNC GREENSBORO

Southland: Saturday

Southwestern: Saturday

Best Case Scenario for Bubble Teams: All Conferences with an At-Large Lock win the tournament

That would mean 32 auto-bids + 24 At-Large Locks = 56 Spots taken in the field

Assuming teams on the bubble win conferences that don't have any locks, that leaves 24 Bubble Teams

That would leave 12 At-Large Spots for the 24 Remaining Bubble Teams

The Pecking Order for the remaining Bubble Teams is probably something like this:

1. Butler

2. St. Bonaventure

3. Oklahoma

4. Arizona State

5. Kansas State

6. St. Mary's

7. Baylor

8. Providence

9. USC

10. Texas

11. UCLA

12. Louisville

13. Alabama

14. Marquette

15. Syracuse

16. Nebraska

17. Oklahoma State

18. Mississippi State

19. Washington

20. Notre Dame

21. Utah

22. Penn State

23. Western Kentucky

24. Boise State

• Plus1 3

While I certainly think Nebraska is screwed, gotta wonder if that mood changes slightly if teams like Notre Dame, Louisville, Alabama, Oklahoma and so on lose in the first round. Nebraska lost to a top 10 team and while I get the ultimate argument is we dont have many (only 1) big wins, we also dont have many bad losses.

I think a lot would have to blow up for us to have a chance and Penn State probably takes our spot anyways, but you never know.

I still think this team is better than Syracuse, Alabama, Texas, Baylor and a few others.... but who knows.

Hopefully this use this to motivate the team for next year.