Bracketology

Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?

• Yes
    • No, and no postseason tournament
    • No, but makes NIT

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2018 at 11:17 PM

51 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

My other argument for Nebraska vs the teams above is look at how the teams finished. Would you rather have a team that finished the year fairly hot or a team that lost 6 of last 10.

I know we arent going dancing. But I am sick of this "Q1" argument crap. The eye test tells me Nebraska is worthy and guys like Lunardi and Mandel havent watched much if any of Nebrasketball and are basing it 100% on numbers. 

I do think the committee used to give some weight to how teams did in their last 10 games.  I'm not sure if they still do - I haven't heard any talk about that this year.

I think the issue most Nebraska fans have is they are putting a lot of weight on the more recent games and minimizing the earlier games.  And I think that's a valid point.  I just don't know if that's how the committee looks at it.  If they're mainly considering the "body of work" as a whole, I don't think a lot of the arguments people are putting up for Nebraska mean as much.  Not that we played terrible early in the year but we definitely weren't playing as well which is part of why our RPI is lower - because it's looking at the entire season.  And, on the other side of the same coin, it's why people are talking an Oklahoma down more than the "experts" - because they played better earlier in the year and had some really big wins but lately have done poorly.  But their overall "body of work" taken as a whole still have some impressive marks to it.

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I do think the committee used to give some weight to how teams did in their last 10 games.  I'm not sure if they still do - I haven't heard any talk about that this year.

I think the issue most Nebraska fans have is they are putting a lot of weight on the more recent games and minimizing the earlier games.  And I think that's a valid point.  I just don't know if that's how the committee looks at it.  If they're mainly considering the "body of work" as a whole, I don't think a lot of the arguments people are putting up for Nebraska mean as much.  Not that we played terrible early in the year but we definitely weren't playing as well which is part of why our RPI is lower - because it's looking at the entire season.  And, on the other side of the same coin, it's why people are talking an Oklahoma down more than the "experts" - because they played better earlier in the year and had some really big wins but lately have done poorly.  But their overall "body of work" taken as a whole still have some impressive marks to it.

This part has bugged me a lot with Oklahoma.  If you actually look at their resume, their best non conference wins rank like this:

1. @ Wichita State - really good road win

2. USC - they are on the bubble

3. Oregon - they won't make the tournament

4. Northwestern - they were terrible this year

They lost to Alabama and Arkansas in the non con.

They beat North Texas by 10, Nebraska beat them by 19

They beat UTSA by 12, Nebraska beat them by 10

They played UNO (RPI 281), Portland (RPI 285), and Northwestern State (RPI 342)

I get that their resume looks better than Nebraska, but it's basically a road win at Wichita State and a lot of meh...

(Edit: I'm not directing this at you Mav, it's all the talking heads that are in love with Oklahoma... I don't know how they can justify it)

Edited by HS_Coach_C

6 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Have to imagine it helps to a small extent that St. Mary's got beat by BYU in the WCC semis.  

St Mary’s is In regardless.  If BYU beats Gonzaga as well.....well that is a two bid league that just got three and the trickle down effect starts.  Every conference tournament needed to chalk out and go as expected for NU to have a chance.  And that was BEFORE last Friday

36 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

This part has bugged me a lot with Oklahoma.  If you actually look at their resume, their best non conference wins rank like this:

1. @ Wichita State - really good road win

2. USC - they are on the bubble

3. Oregon - they won't make the tournament

4. Northwestern - they were terrible this year

They lost to Alabama and Arkansas in the non con.

They beat North Texas by 10, Nebraska beat them by 19

They beat UTSA by 12, Nebraska beat them by 10

They played UNO (RPI 281), Portland (RPI 285), and Northwestern State (RPI 342)

I get that their resume looks better than Nebraska, but it's basically a road win at Wichita State and a lot of meh...

(Edit: I'm not directing this at you Mav, it's all the talking heads that are in love with Oklahoma... I don't know how they can justify it)

Why are you only looking at their non-con?  They also have wins over TCU, Kansas and Texas Tech.  So they have a Top 10 win, a Top 15 win, a Top 20 win, a Top 25 win plus another Quad 1 win (USC).  They are two games (record-wise) worse than Nebraska but have a lot more to show in the quality wins category.

19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Why are you only looking at their non-con?  They also have wins over TCU, Kansas and Texas Tech.  So they have a Top 10 win, a Top 15 win, a Top 20 win, a Top 25 win plus another Quad 1 win (USC).  They are two games (record-wise) worse than Nebraska but have a lot more to show in the quality wins category.

Well mostly because I was counting "earlier in the year" as Nov. & Dec., but also because one of the biggest arguments I heard for OU was how well they did in non conference, and how the Big 12 did as a whole.

I'm not arguing that Nebraska has a better resume (it's not even close really)

The double round robin probably helps them quite a bit in the Big 12 as they get each team at home and on the road.  They went 2-9 on the road... (1-8 on the road in conference play)

A Nebraska fan grasping at straws could say they could have beat more Quad 1 teams if they had more at home.

Yeah, it's possible, but it's also hypothetical.  OU actually did it.

Edited by HS_Coach_C

1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

Can you guys shut up and someone just post another break down on what I'm rooting for the next few days?

Let's go Zags baby! 

A time traveler who is a Nebraska alumnus to go back and tell the players they're gonna have to not suck when they play Michigan.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

A time traveler who is a Nebraska alumnus to go back and tell the players they're gonna have to not suck when they play Michigan.

I’m on it. 

Speaking of time travel, I see that some folks decided to update their vote on the poll for this thread post-choke... :D

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

St Mary’s has 2 Q1 wins (Gonzaga, @BYU).   BYU is a Q1 win because... wait for it... BYU beat them in the WCC tournament.

You can be mad about it, but the same happened to us. 

Michigan would not have been a Q1 win (earlier in the season) if we had beat them in the tourney.