Shatel: Basketball Scheduling Does Harm As Big Ten Lacks Charm

http://www.omaha.com/sports/plus/shatel-basketball-scheduling-does-harm-as-big-ten-lacks-charm/article_682b502a-5d23-5ece-8ffc-f3ffdc6e726b.html

I often live in the past because the taxes are cheaper. But my recent jog through the old days of Big Eight basketball reminded me of my feelings for Big Ten hoops.

I’m not a fan.

Big Ten basketball is, well, strange.

My biggest beef is with the schedule. There’s no structure. Nebraska, this season, plays a league game on all seven days of the week. Only three Saturday games.

Having 14 teams makes it tough for balance, but you’d think to create rivalries they’d use the two football divisions and have those schools play home-and-home.

Nope.

This year the Big Ten tourney is set for Madison Square Garden, home of the Big East. It’s supposed to introduce the league to the New York market. I get that. But let’s not make a habit of it.

Playing in the Garden means the Big Ten had to move up the tourney dates before the Big East, and that wreaked havoc on the Big Ten schedule.

Look at Nebraska’s schedule next week. It’s crazy.

Beginning with Michigan at home Thursday night, the Huskers play five games in 11 days.

After taking the weekend off, in the middle of January, the Huskers play at Ohio State on Monday, at Rutgers on Wednesday and then return home to play Iowa on Saturday. Then get back on the plane and play at Wisconsin on Monday.

Nebraska doesn’t play again until the following Tuesday, Feb. 6 — another weekend off.

That five-game stretch could have a big impact on NU’s season. If the Huskers get hot, that could be a good thing and they could pile up some wins in a hurry. On the other hand, if they slump it could damage their season.

This is a product of having the tourney at MSG, but it’s always something with Big Ten hoops. A strange place.

• Plus1 1