Athlon: Early B10 Predictions

BIG ERN

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/early-big-ten-football-predictions-2018

West Division

5. Nebraska

The Cornhuskers hit a grand slam with Scott Frost returning to Lincoln, and it’s only a matter of time before this program is back in the mix to win the West Division. Frost has some significant work ahead this offseason, but a bowl game should be a reasonable goal in 2018. The top priority for Frost in offseason workouts will be to find a quarterback. Tanner Lee left for the NFL, leaving redshirt freshman Tristan Gebbia, sophomore Patrick O’Brien and incoming freshman Adrian Martinez to battle for the job. Martinez has the most upside and is the best fit for Frost’s offense. How fast can he pick up the scheme and adjust to the FBS level? Stanley Morgan and JD Spielman form a potent one-two punch at receiver, and running back Tre Bryant returns after missing nearly all of 2017 due to a knee injury. New coordinator Erik Chinander inherits a defense that gave up 36.4 points a game and did not feature a player selected to All-Big Ten honors last fall. The schedule features brutal road trips to Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and Ohio State. However, Nebraska plays four out of its first five games in Lincoln.    

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

I'm interested to hear how we get to 10 wins? I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I've gone through the schedule several times, and I struggle to get to 7 wins (8 counting a bowl game).

Your struggle is due to lowered expectations of previous regimes, which is understandable. I suppose that way you can always be suprised on the off chance that they have some semblence of a decent, competitive team.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

Your struggle is due to lowered expectations of previous regimes, which is understandable. I suppose that way you can always be suprised on the off chance that they have some semblence of a decent, competitive team.

No, my struggle is that we play Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Ohio State, and Iowa on the road, plus Michigan State at home. Even if we somehow manage to hold serve at home, we still have to win 3 of those road games to get to 10 wins.

I see 4 winnable games (I count Colorado in that mix, perhaps in error)  3 Toss up's (NW, Purdue, Iowa)  and 4 likely losses.  I hope we can win two toss up games and win 1 likely loss game and get to seven wins.  The team has talent so the question will be how quickly can it be brought together even with the new system.  I also hope that at least the team fights like hell and doesn't get beaten badly as we have seen in the past.  

• Plus1 1