Athlon: Early B10 Predictions

BIG ERN

39 minutes ago, Toe said:

Seems like it always is. I'd say as a series, our games against Michigan State have been the most entertaining since we joined the Big Ten. Pity they're not in our division anymore.

Yeah the games I have enjoyed the most, as far as matchups go, have been MSU and PSU.  So naturally we don't playbeither one every year now...

I actually think Colorado will end up being a pretty good OOC win for us from a national perspective next year. They won 10 games two years ago with really bad recruiting classes and have since upgraded that from looking at Rivals and 247. I think they’ll beat up the teams in their bad conference and end up with like 8 wins and it will help our playoff bid :D I’ll be at the game.

59 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

I actually think Colorado will end up being a pretty good OOC win for us from a national perspective next year. They won 10 games two years ago with really bad recruiting classes and have since upgraded that from looking at Rivals and 247. I think they’ll beat up the teams in their bad conference and end up with like 8 wins and it will help our playoff bid :D I’ll be at the game.

CU lost both coordinators from the 2016 10 win season.  OC is now at Oregon State and DC at Oregon where he is the highest paid DC in the country I believe, something ridiculous like 1.7 million.

We should win that game easily.  With all the young players who saw the field last year I expect a significant amount of growth in this team going into 2018 season.  I wouldn't say that normally in a year that our system is changing, however SF's system is much simpler than our last so the learning curve is virtually eliminated as evidenced by the rapid turnaround at UCF.

Thanks to MR's recruiting we have several exciting young players for SF to work with.    

Their DC was a stud, no question. I don’t think their OC has done anything really though and I’m surprised he got another Power-5 job as a coordinator. I didn’t realize they lost him but that might be an upgrade for all I know, they finished pretty low in offensive ranks last year.

I don’t know enough about them to say definitively one way or the other. I do think they have a pretty good head coach - I knew about him back when he was coaching in California and I have been hoping someone else would hire him away so I could cheer for him again. That all said, I’m not trying to compliment Colorado as much as I’m saying it would be a good, early season win for our new staff. Looking forward to kicking their teeth in!

Michigan state is going to be the bellwether game this year.    They return something like 20 starters from a pretty good team.   At the same time, we've always matched up with them equally for whatever reason.    This year we will see just how much the team has bought into the system and how hard they worked in the off-season by this game. 

1 hour ago, Caliborn72 said:

Their DC was a stud, no question. I don’t think their OC has done anything really though and I’m surprised he got another Power-5 job as a coordinator. I didn’t realize they lost him but that might be an upgrade for all I know, they finished pretty low in offensive ranks last year.

I don’t know enough about them to say definitively one way or the other. I do think they have a pretty good head coach - I knew about him back when he was coaching in California and I have been hoping someone else would hire him away so I could cheer for him again. That all said, I’m not trying to compliment Colorado as much as I’m saying it would be a good, early season win for our new staff. Looking forward to kicking their teeth in!

I agree, CU would definitely qualify as a very solid win.  I actually wish we could schedule more games against similar caliber power 5 teams.  I don't like playing non-power-5 fbs teams.

They generally have some pretty good athletes and in some cases great coaching.  The added motivation of beating a P5 opponent seems to generate extremely high efforts from them. 

• Plus1 1

Love the optimism.

I think we will see an improved team top to bottom, but that doesn’t automatically translate into huge improvements in the win total.

Three of the teams Nebraska faces next year will very good Ohio State, Wisconsin and Michigan State may be top ten teams at the beginning of the year. 

I am not saying that Nebraska is for sure going to lose to those teams, but I wouldn’t be predicting wins right now.

Michigan has the potential to be very good if they find a qb, Iowa should be decent, Purdue should be better northwestern will be solid.

In the ooc Troy won 10 games last year and Colorado will better than the past year. 

It it is not just about Scott Frost being this great coach and changing the culture and making Nebraska better. They have a really tough schedule. 

If Nebraska goes 8-4 next year I will consider that a highly successful season 

• Plus1 2

I think 7 wins is very plausible. I do think Nebraska gets a surprise win this season and there will be no surprise losses. But really, I wouldn't mind if we won 5 games. We got Frost, therefore we will be just fine in the very near future.

Edited by BoNeyard
awful grammar
  • Plus1 1
On 1/17/2018 at 9:07 PM, LaunchCode said:

I agree, CU would definitely qualify as a very solid win.  I actually wish we could schedule more games against similar caliber power 5 teams.  I don't like playing non-power-5 fbs teams.

They generally have some pretty good athletes and in some cases great coaching.  The added motivation of beating a P5 opponent seems to generate extremely high efforts from them. 

Curbstomping powderpuffs does nothing in the eyes of the playoff committee. I am all for scheduling more P5 schools.

• Plus1 1