New California?

636517188742168377-011618-New-California-state-ONLINE-revised.png

Looks like a gerrymander to me...

This also reminds me of when affluent suburbs want to "split off" from an aging city center, thus denying tax money to the part of the metro that needs it most to rebuild roads and schools.  City planners describe this as spoiled children refusing to take care of an aging parent.  Two good local examples are Omaha and Des Moines.

In this case I assume it is a product of the cultural divide in California, and the widening gap of angry partisan politics.  One way to alleviate some of the frustration would be to get rid of the electoral college.  That would benefit California conservatives as well as red state democrats (like me).  Also, end gerrymandering.

I also think that the claim of "decades of mono-party politics" is a little "Trumped-up" (pun intended).  California has only been blue-dominant for maybe three decades?  Things changed dramatically with the politics of immigration in the 90's when the Republicans pissed off the growing latino demographic.  It's ironic, because hispanic-americans are usually pretty socially conservative.  I digress.

Edited by Kiyoat Husker
  • Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

636517188742168377-011618-New-California-state-ONLINE-revised.png

Looks like a gerrymander to me...

This also reminds me of when affluent suburbs want to "split off" from an aging city center, thus denying tax money to the part of the metro that needs it most to rebuild roads and schools.  City planners describe this as spoiled children refusing to take care of an aging parent.  Two good local examples are Omaha and Des Moines.

In this case I assume it is a product of the cultural divide in California, and the widening gap of angry partisan politics.  One way to alleviate some of the frustration would be to get rid of the electoral college.  That would benefit California conservatives as well as red state democrats (like me).  Also, end gerrymandering.

I also think that the claim of "decades of mono-party politics" is a little "Trumped-up" (pun intended).  California has only been blue-dominant for maybe three decades?  Things changed dramatically with the politics of immigration in the 90's when the Republicans pissed off the growing latino demographic.  It's ironic, because hispanic-americans are usually pretty socially conservative.  I digress.

People forget pretty easily that California elected Reagan pretty enthusiastically on the promise of cracking down on welfare (and the "other," if you read between the lines) before he was president.

California is my second favorite state in the Union.  Only state I've lived in besides Nebraska.  It's such a neat place, such great people. NoCal is better than SoCal.

I take stuff about California breaking up about as seriously as I take talk of the Nebraska panhandle seceding and joining Wyoming.  Not gonna happen, not worth getting worked up over.

• Plus1 3

Yes, if Calf wasn't so expensive to live in, it would be my first choice - beach, forest, big trees and the most beautiful mtns anywhere ( I love Colorado but Yosemite and Lake Tahoe just take your breath away).  This may gain momentum while the republican control congress and the WH.  Regarding the Map - I'm thinking San Jose should be in the blue.  I guess the yellow wants if for the high tech tax.

57 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I take stuff about California breaking up about as seriously as I take talk of the Nebraska panhandle seceding and joining Wyoming.  Not gonna happen, not worth getting worked up over.

Yep. This has been going on for years here. And it's exactly like Nebraska and every other state with a literal or figurative panhandle. A rural populace feels disrespected by the urban powers that be and threatens to secede. Never happens. Never gonna happen.

Last time this came up a few years ago, the Chronicle went up to a bunch of small towns in Northeast CA, the least-respected quadrant in the state. They had voted overwhelmingly for Bush and were on the anti-Government bandwagon. Of course they were also -- by far -- the biggest recipients of government largesse in the state. This was pointed out to them, and the responses were both funny and sad. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, if Calf wasn't so expensive to live in, it would be my first choice - beach, forest, big trees and the most beautiful mtns anywhere ( I love Colorado but Yosemite and Lake Tahoe just take your breath away).  This may gain momentum while the republican control congress and the WH.  Regarding the Map - I'm thinking San Jose should be in the blue.  I guess the yellow wants if for the high tech tax.

If you want to live in a beautiful small town near the mountains, California can be surprisingly cheap.  Your career options may be limited, of course. 

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you want to live in a beautiful small town near the mountains, California can be surprisingly cheap.  Your career options may be limited, of course. 

Years ago when I worked for GE, I had the opportunity to transfer to Fresno (they also wanted me to consider LA)  No regrets on LA.   Fresno isn't exactly my favorite spot either but it is close to my favorite spots - sort of close.  Maybe living on the Nevada side - Reno might be cheaper than the Calif side of the line. 

41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've visited California a number of times but really don't know much about cost of living anyplace but the larger cities.

Is it extremely expensive to live even in smaller towns? (yes, I know taxes are high, I'm talking about other expenses like cost of housing...etc.)

No. You can live in a charming small town that dates back to the Gold Rush, find a house cheaper than Lincoln or Omaha, and be in a beautiful setting in the foothills near the mountains. 

For even less money, there are tons of farm communities in the central valley to choose from. The weather is nice enough, but they can be s#!tholes -- if I may be so blunt.  Unless you make a point of escaping in your car and exploring the state, there are plenty of places in California that are no upgrade from Nebraska. Even some of the charming small towns in vacation areas are meth havens. Again, not unlike Nebraska. 

Somewhere in between is a place like Sacramento. Hour from snow skiing. Hour and a half from the ocean. Bit of urban action and culture. No more expensive than Omaha. 

Cost of housing in the desirable urban areas is high. Gas prices are higher than the national average. Beyond that, it's not so different. 

I live in Marin County, where the cost of a modest home never ceases to blow Nebraskans minds.