New California?

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No. You can live in a charming small town that dates back to the Gold Rush, find a house cheaper than Lincoln or Omaha, and be in a beautiful setting in the foothills near the mountains. 

For even less money, there are tons of farm communities in the central valley to choose from. The weather is nice enough, but they can be s#!tholes -- if I may be so blunt.  Unless you make a point of escaping in your car and exploring the state, there are plenty of places in California that are no upgrade from Nebraska. Even some of the charming small towns in vacation areas are meth havens. Again, not unlike Nebraska. 

Somewhere in between is a place like Sacramento. Hour from snow skiing. Hour and a half from the ocean. Bit of urban action and culture. No more expensive than Omaha. 

Cost of housing in the desirable urban areas is high. Gas prices are higher than the national average. Beyond that, it's not so different. 

I live in Marin County, where the cost of a modest home never ceases to blow Nebraskans minds. 

Well, at my point in life, I have absolutely no desire to live in any of those "desirable urban areas".  I've visited, had a good time.....but no desire to live there.

I would prefer to find that smaller town that's maybe a Kearney to Lincoln size.  Possibly a much smaller town than that depending on the town and closeness to a larger community.

If I were ever to move into this type of place, I would use it to then explore the rest of the state.  Sure, I would like the ocean, but I would probably enjoy the mountains more.

Problem is, is finding that perfect spot in a smaller town without spending time actually in the area.

Edited by BigRedBuster