2018 Season Predictions

Mavric

Predict the Results of the 2018 Season  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 4/30/2018 at 9:06 PM, Mavric said:

I'm not saying we don't have a tough schedule but I think people are getting stuck on looking at the tough games.  The flip side of having all the tough games on the road is we have most of the "easy" games at home which makes that part of the schedule very manageable.

We have Akron, Colorado, Troy, Purdue, Minnesota and Illinois all at home.  Those aren't guaranteed wins but you have to like our chances in all of those games.  That's six.  

At Northwestern and at Iowa are tougher but still games we have every reason to think we can compete in.

The other four games - @ Michigan, @ Wisconsin, @ Ohio State and Michigan State - are not expected wins by any means but it wouldn't be shocking to steal one of them.

Even if we go 5-1 in the first group and 1-1 in the second, that's six wins.  It wouldn't be the end of the world to win fewer than six but I'd be surprised by that.  I think 6-7 wins is reasonable but 8 or even 9 are there for the taking.  

This is pretty much how I feel about next year.   The 6 home games you mention I think can and should be W.  I really like the chances against NW.  I almost wish we played Iowa early, they always seem to get better as the season rolls along.  I just don't see NU beating Wisconsin or OSU.   Michigan, who knows, I liked are chances a lot better when the ole Miss transfer wasn't playing.  MSU is a hard one to call.  I still think they go 8-4, and I wouldn't be disappointed at 7-5.

1 hour ago, NUinID said:

I almost wish we played Iowa early, they always seem to get better as the season rolls along. 

That's something I think we definitely see return in the Scott Frost era...a team that gets better as the season progresses. It was definitely the case at UCF; it's a steady progression from year 1, game 1 to year 2, game 13. 

I think Iowa and Michigan St become more winnable because they're late, because Nebraska will have likely have a bigger jump in improvement from early to late season because everything is so new to our players.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the opening lines on the Huskers I've see so far.

09/01    Akron   -17.5
09/08    Colorado
09/15    Troy
09/22    @ Michigan
09/29    Purdue
10/06    @ Wisconsin   +17
10/13    @ Northwestern   +6
10/20    Minnesota
11/03    @ Ohio St.
11/10    Illinois
11/17    Michigan St.
11/23    @ Iowa   +8

12 minutes ago, shyndy said:

Why is everyone so confident we will beat Troy?

Agreed. All credit to Frost and Co., but after last season, I don't think we can mark down any wins as automatic or gimmes. Except maybe Akron. I'm confident we'll do well, but God help us if we can't beat the Zips at home. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, shyndy said:

Why is everyone so confident we will beat Troy?

I wouldn’t say I’m so confident but I do believe we will beat them. Colorado is the OOC team that I’m nervous about. Not because I think they’re a better team but I do think they have a solid head coach and they’ll be better than the returning numbers say (like we will be). I still think we win because I’m optimistic but I could see that game turning ugly if our defense is still a mess.

But you’re right, I don’t think there’s any reason to be overconfident yet. Frost is a great head coach but this rebuild mostly likely won’t happen overnight.

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 11:11 AM, Mavric said:

I would say the same about their offense.  The couple games I watched I was thinking Langs was calling plays for them.

The caveat is they had terrible luck with injuries to their QBs.  Speight started the first four games then got hurt.  O'Korn started the next four then got hurt.  Then they implemented the Frank Solich prevent offense when they were down to their third-stringer.  I can't imagine the amount of excuses that would be flowing if that happened to us.

They have a ton of talent.  If they can get some competent - and un-injured - QB play they will be tough.

Shae Patterson (Old Miss transfer) is eligible to play this year....and he is mobile. The injury part I cannot predict.

4 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

I wouldn’t say I’m so confident but I do believe we will beat them. Colorado is the OOC team that I’m nervous about. Not because I think they’re a better team but I do think they have a solid head coach and they’ll be better than the returning numbers say (like we will be). I still think we win because I’m optimistic but I could see that game turning ugly if our defense is still a mess.

But you’re right, I don’t think there’s any reason to be overconfident yet. Frost is a great head coach but this rebuild mostly likely won’t happen overnight.

I like how our OOC ramps up. I'd put these three teams in order of difficulty that they are being played. Colorado has yet to show it can reload, both in players and coaches.