2018 Season Predictions

Mavric

Predict the Results of the 2018 Season  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, shyndy said:

Why is everyone so confident we will beat Troy?

Part of it is because their four (I think) year starting quarterback who helped upset LSU last year is graduated and gone - they're breaking in a new starter this year like we are.

In all honesty, it's Troy. Nebraska should win that game and by a couple scores. I think many people are aware that anything could happen but the percentages are in our favor.

• Plus1 3

Mathematical calculation

UCF Inherited: 0-12

2016 First Season: 6-6

2017 Second Season: 12-0

NU Inherited: 4-8

2018 First Season: 10-2 (increase 4 wins compared to 2016 UCF record)

2019 Second Season: 12-0

Very simple, 10W and 2L.  Loss: Ohio State and Wiskey or Michigan or MSU.  Actually 12W-2L ...... regular season + CCG + bowl.

08c2998ed2e44c8da83d363b2369a28b--anson-

"Immoral Mathematics" (Hell on Wheels season 1 episode 2).  Fictional film location, Nebraska Territory.

I feel like Coach Frost (that will never get old typing out) will have us overly prepared for both the Colorado and Michigan games, perhaps Iowa as well.  Old grudges die hard, we go 2-1 in that group and I'll be mostly happy.  Really hoping Michigan is a big favorite, really feel glld about winning that one.

I can realistically see a major turnaround and drop 2 games to the East with our worst loss being to @ OSU by 17-21 points and beat Wisconsin to have the head to head advantage. NU ends up an outside shot at the playoff but falls short again in the CCG vs. Ohio State. A New Year's bowl win and we finish 11-3 ready to be contenders for the B1G in 2019.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

I feel like Coach Frost (that will never get old typing out) will have us overly prepared for both the Colorado and Michigan games, perhaps Iowa as well. 

Absolutely. They were very prepared last year at UCF with a hurricane dismantling the schedule. Time management is one of this staffs greatest strengths. 

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm sticking with my 7-5 prediction. I've been watching UCF games from 2016 and am leaning more towards 6-6 than 8-4. That first year was not a smooth transition on offense. Watch the bowl game against Arky St if you feel like dialing back the koolaid.

Generally speaking, defensive improvement is well ahead of offensive improvement in a coaching change, but having the entire staff come in is making a massive difference to the speed at which this offense is acclimating. Bigger than I anticipated, tbh. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I think the "big men" will show significant improvement on both sides of the line.

You are correct though that poor big men play = destruction. Line play is why I picked us to lose at Camp Randall.

True. The defensive line, I believe, will come around in short order with Freedom, Stoltenberg, etc, not to mention chinander likes to be aggressive with blitzing and stunts.

The o line is a tough deal, but I love watching Oregon film when Frost was oc and UCF’s 17 campaign. Once they get rolling, the defenses, even from the athletic SEC, are literally on their heels trying to guess what's coming next. Problem is that we need a Thomas, Mariota or Milton-type guy to be taking snaps. Could Martinez be that guy? 

7 hours ago, brophog said:

Generally speaking, defensive improvement is well ahead of offensive improvement in a coaching change, but having the entire staff come in is making a massive difference to the speed at which this offense is acclimating. Bigger than I anticipated, tbh. 

Seeing how poorly that offense played in the bowl game gave me some pause. That's after a whole year with Frost and staff including bowl practices. I hope the coaches are getting a better start and the team will be better because the staff is intact and has done this before and etc. etc. But we have no idea how long it'll take the players to adapt and succeed. I think it will happen, just not in year one.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Seeing how poorly that offense played in the bowl game gave me some pause. That's after a whole year with Frost and staff including bowl practices. I hope the coaches are getting a better start and the team will be better because the staff is intact and has done this before and etc. etc. But we have no idea how long it'll take the players to adapt and succeed. I think it will happen, just not in year one.

That's in-season practices you're referring to, not offseason, and that's a big distinction. In-season is about preparing for an opponent, less work on technique and structure. We have the advantage of a full spring, summer, and fall camp where every staff member knows what needs to be done and why. We've had a spring where they could install and prep the players for summer by concentrating on what and how to practice. That makes the summer period way more lucrative than it was their first year at UCF, and it should therein make fall camp way more useful.

Year 2 should be better than Year 1, I'm just pointing out this isn't an apples to apples comparison, and at this point the staff's progress is atypical of your usual first year's staff due to the familiarity they have with one another. i totally get what you're saying though, and there are obvious concerns, especially in the offensive line. 

9 hours ago, brophog said:

That's in-season practices you're referring to, not offseason, and that's a big distinction. In-season is about preparing for an opponent, less work on technique and structure. We have the advantage of a full spring, summer, and fall camp where every staff member knows what needs to be done and why. We've had a spring where they could install and prep the players for summer by concentrating on what and how to practice. That makes the summer period way more lucrative than it was their first year at UCF, and it should therein make fall camp way more useful.

Year 2 should be better than Year 1, I'm just pointing out this isn't an apples to apples comparison, and at this point the staff's progress is atypical of your usual first year's staff due to the familiarity they have with one another. i totally get what you're saying though, and there are obvious concerns, especially in the offensive line. 

I agree with everything you're saying. I'm just not buying that it's going to translate to wins this season. But I'd happily accept being wrong!

• Plus1 1
On 5/25/2018 at 8:43 AM, Enhance said:

Part of it is because their four (I think) year starting quarterback who helped upset LSU last year is graduated and gone - they're breaking in a new starter this year like we are.

In all honesty, it's Troy. Nebraska should win that game and by a couple scores. I think many people are aware that anything could happen but the percentages are in our favor.

Honestly I’m kind of tired of people saying things like “it’s troy” when teams like that have been competitive with P5 teams for at least the past decade.  How long is it going to take some of us to realize that there aren’t necessarily gimmes just bc it’s some school that is directional or small or something that isn’t steeped in tradition?

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, shyndy said:

Honestly I’m kind of tired of people saying things like “it’s troy” when teams like that have been competitive with P5 teams for at least the past decade.  How long is it going to take some of us to realize that there aren’t necessarily gimmes just bc it’s some school that is directional or small or something that isn’t steeped in tradition?

Just because some teams lose to these schools doesn't mean we aren't significantly more talented.