2018 Season Predictions

Mavric

Predict the Results of the 2018 Season  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 5/28/2018 at 5:18 PM, shyndy said:

If we had played them last year we would have gotten drubbed.  We’re we signicantly more talented?

I would say so. We beat Purdue who I believe beat Iowa and we had Northwestern on the ropes before langsdork and diaco brainfarted their way to an L. We actually looked pretty competitive against the badgers for a half, so yeah, the level of athlete Nebraska recruits and has on the field is definitely a cut above schools like Troy and Akron. 

The difference, as has been discussed, has been our predictable and largely ineffective scheme, poor preparation, repetition of poor habits, not to mention a lot of asinine play-calls, personnel decisions, and clock-management. 

Now, do we have the athletes to truly compete with the likes of osu and Penn state? Not yet. 

• Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yes. Coaching matters. Scheme matters. We do and did have more talent on our team than Troy, and many of the teams we lost to.

Yep.  This is kind of what I was fishing for.  Troy has a staff that has been very successful the past two years, and we have a first year staff trying to right the wrong.  Coaching doesn’t just matter for the team with more stars on their recruiting rank.  People can say we have better talent all they want but we haven’t had much of anything in on the field results.  I see no reason that we should be as confident in this game as so many people in this thread expecting to win by multiple scores.  Personally I expect this to be the toughest non con and probably tougher than some conference games (although our conference schedule is brutal)

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, shyndy said:

Yep.  This is kind of what I was fishing for.  Troy has a staff that has been very successful the past two years, and we have a first year staff trying to right the wrong.  Coaching doesn’t just matter for the team with more stars on their recruiting rank.  People can say we have better talent all they want but we haven’t had much of anything in on the field results.  I see no reason that we should be as confident in this game as so many people in this thread expecting to win by multiple scores.  Personally I expect this to be the toughest non con and probably tougher than some conference games (although our conference schedule is brutal)

I agree this is the toughest non-con and Troy would give a significant number of Big Ten teams a tough game. 

It's not accurate to call this a first year staff, not in the sense of what that normally means. They're an established staff in the first year of the program. That's not semantics, they're significantly ahead of your typical first year staff at this point and that will only increase as we get into game planning and game day decisions. 

I admire Troy's coaches, too, btw. That's a fun team to watch if you just want some good, hard nosed football. They play hard and win by out working the opposition. They, however, lack in the kind of explosiveness that helps level the playing field in these types of games. They will need to generate some big plays and likely get a few turnovers to win. 

15 hours ago, shyndy said:

Honestly I’m kind of tired of people saying things like “it’s troy” when teams like that have been competitive with P5 teams for at least the past decade.  How long is it going to take some of us to realize that there aren’t necessarily gimmes just bc it’s some school that is directional or small or something that isn’t steeped in tradition?

I'll just reiterate part of my post you quoted - the percentages are in Nebraska's favor. Nebraska should win that game by a couple scores because it is Troy. That doesn't mean Nebraska takes them for granted but it also doesn't mean I can't look at the rosters and believe Nebraska should win that game with some level of comfort.

• Plus1 1

I would see Troy as more of a threat if we were an overly confident team that may overlook them.  That won't happen this year as every player on the Nebraska team just came off a terrible season where they lost to several teams they shouldn't have.  I have a hard time seeing a scenario where this game ends up closer than 2 scores.  We will have a couple games under our belt to work out some of the new jitters and we will also have some good film from them having to play Boise in week one.  38-17 feels about right.  

• 2 months later...