Over rated-underrated restaurants in Nebraska.

Dan & I have the same assessment of Cane's.  I was in that conversation when we described Cane's food - the entire menu - as something you can get in the frozen food aisle of your grocery store.  It's entirely average food and I'm baffled by its popularity. 

Also agree with Cheddar's & Stella's being on his Overrated list.  Neither stands out.  I was told to get Stella's by a bunch of people, went, and left disappointed. It's a good burger. It's not worth driving to Bellevue for.  Cheddar's is fine if you're on a budget and want to eat a bunch of grease. It's OK, it's just not great food.  It's a greasy spoon diner that's gone national. It does not live up to the hype.

Never heard of Mangia.  Where is it? 

Everything about 11 Worth is awesome. Just go there and be amazed.

This is true. People don't know about 11 Worth and that's sad. You should eat there.  Just make sure you walk in very hungry.

Some good Mexican joints not on Dan's list - La Carreta in Seward, on the way into town from the interstate, is very good.  Jonesy's Taco House in Omaha at 60th & Woolworth is also great. @GMoose recommended it to me last year and I can't wait to get back up there.  Taqueria El Rey in Lincoln, just south of 27th & O Street, is very good. I believe there's one in Omaha, too.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Can anybody recommend good restaurants near 90th and Fort? My parents live near there, they have terrible taste in restaurants, and my wife and I always find it hard to find a place to go out to eat near them.

Mangia's isn't too far from there.  It's pretty close to the Irvington exit off 680.  I really like the super deluxe Buffalo chicken speciality pizza.  I think they have a regular Buffalo chicken pizza without their special alfredo sauce for it.  Anyway, I used to eat that sandwich style with some pepperoni but haven't had it in years.  Mangia's also caters and you can find them every other week or so at the First National's Hallmark shop in Omaha.  They don't bring pizza there, though.

22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Dan & I have the same assessment of Cane's.  I was in that conversation when we described Cane's food - the entire menu - as something you can get in the frozen food aisle of your grocery store.  It's entirely average food and I'm baffled by its popularity.

It's fascinating how seriously people take their fast food opinions. I've come to the point where I don't even bother reading articles or lists about fast food anymore. We don't eat much fast food at all and most of it is pretty overrated in my book (Cane's, Chick-fil-a, In-n-out, etc.) I'd rather pay more for a real meal served on a plate rather than a bag of s#!t from a drive thru window #DoesThatMakeMeASnob? :lol:

As far as the restaurants on his list, can't say I've been to many of them. I did see that El Charrito (Scottsbluff) is in the Other Cities section. Don't bother. There's better places in the area than El Charrito.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, GSG said:

It's fascinating how seriously people take their fast food opinions. I've come to the point where I don't even bother reading articles or lists about fast food anymore. We don't eat much fast food at all and most of it is pretty overrated in my book

From the looks of it, I take my opinion of Cane's about as seriously as you do.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Can anybody recommend good restaurants near 90th and Fort? My parents live near there, they have terrible taste in restaurants, and my wife and I always find it hard to find a place to go out to eat near them.

Sort of close is Lighouthous Pizza on 72nd and Pacific.  SOOOO GOOD

Also, AJ's Cafe is right by your parents. 

13 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Benson is very close to 90th and Fort (about an eight minute drive) and that's about the only place you're going to find "good restaurants" near 90th and Fort, in my opinion.

Mangia is probably the "best" right near 90th and Fort. Mantra Bar & Grille is on Maple and pretty good. Chopstick House is my favorite Chinese in the area. Salween Thai is off of about 65th and Ames and they're incredible. The Keystone Tavern is a decent place to get a burger.

Dan and I have had the Cane's conversation a bunch and I've never understood his passionate annoyance with them. They're a chicken finger joint. It's above average grease food for when you feel like being a bit shameful but don't want to put in effort or a lot of money. Very few people would legitimately say it's really great food. I certainly don't think it is. It's pretty 'meh.'

I mean, people will sit in a McDonald's line for 10 minutes just to get a pathetic hamburger and plastic cheese. If we're going to question Cane's popularity then we probably need to question every single fast food joint in existence. And that's a fair conversation to have, don't get me wrong. I just don't understand why Dan often targets Cane's as if it's some horrendous offense to the food industry.

• Plus1 2

It doesn't surprise me to see Raisin' Canes on this list, particularly because Dan is very vocal about his views on Canes and this was a vote on his Twitter. 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

We've discussed this before. You're not a fan of Canes. I am, but that's just my taste and preference.

• I will never understand the love for this restaurant. The chicken is forgettable and falls far short of what Chick-fil-A or Popeye’s serves, and the sauce is basically Cajun mayo (it’s fine, but nothing special). The Texas toast is good, but you can get the same thing from the frozen aisle of the grocery store. Basically everything at Cane’s is either fried, doused with butter or filled with mayo, so it’s terrible for you and doesn’t taste all that great. That’s not a combo I care for.

I believe Raisin' Canes is fresh, never frozen chicken, marinaded for 24-hours, battered in-store, and then fried upon order. I would never considered it the same as something you can get in the frozen food aisle at the grocery store. I'm in a food brokerage family that sells those frozen products to grocery stores and fast-food restaurants, I get those frozen products from them often, and I would choose Raisin' Canes every day and twice on Sundays. (Also, Dan's comment about the frozen aisle in the article was aimed at the Texas Toast only.) I'm especially surprised to read that it "falls short of what Chick-fil-A or Popeyes serves." Personally, I'll probably never eat at Chick-fil-A again; I think their chicken is much worse than Raisin' Canes (and many others), and their soggy waffle fries are not my preference. Dan Hoppen also declared he "Settled the Chain Burrito Debate: Chipotle v. Qdoba," and picked Chipotle; so it is fair to say our palettes differ drastically. It is almost like different people have different tastes. Weird.  

Edited by QMany
  • Plus1 1