Top 5 Nebraska players to replace

NUance

Top 5 Nebraska players to replace

By Tom Dienhart, BTN.com Senior Writer, 18 hours ago 

Here are the top five Cornhuskers to replace:

K Drew Brown. He hit 12-of-14 field goals last season, with a long of 44 yards, for a program that had few consistent components. Brown hit 77 percent of his all-time kicks, nailing 59-of-76 career field-goal attempts with a long of 51 yards.

CB Chris Jones. He was limited to just seven games and six starts because of a knee injury suffered before the season even started. But when he was in the lineup, Jones was good. He was one of the better Huskers at playing the ball in the air, using his angular 6-0 frame.

S Joshua Kalu. Even though he played in just nine games because of a hamstring issue, Kalu ranked fifth on the team in tackles (47). He also paced the squad with two interceptions and six passes broken up.

QB Tanner Lee. The Tulane transfer is bolting early to the NFL after what was a strong junior season—his only one slinging passes in Lincoln. Lee finished second in the Big Ten in passing (261.9 ypg), hitting 57 percent of his attempts for 3,143 yards with 23 TDs. But he did pace the Big Ten with 16 interceptions.

LB Chris Weber. The Nebraska defense had a lot of issues in 2017. But Weber was one of the few bright spots. He led the team with 95 tackles and was second with 9.5 TFLs. Not bad for a guy who arrived on campus as a walk-on.

LINK

• Plus1 2

How could they possibly not have Nick Gates on that list?  Am I missing something? 

I'd say:  

Joshua Kalu

Nick Gates

Chris Weber

Chris Jones

Drew Brown 

Nothing against Tanner Lee.  I just don't think we'll miss leading the nation in pick sixes.  

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, NUance said:

How could they possibly not have Nick Gates on that list?  Am I missing something? 

I'd say:  

Joshua Kalu

Nick Gates

Chris Weber

Chris Jones

Drew Brown 

Nothing against Tanner Lee.  I just don't think we'll miss leading the nation in pick sixes.  

dc7c855f49c4f4f13b8244052706a794.gif

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, dspanther05 said:

I think this list shows that last year was absolute rock bottom for this program. No disrespect to Drew Brown at all and losing such a reliable kicker is going to hurt more than we think, but the fact that he is the top of the list is pretty telling.

I couldn't agree more.