Top 5 Nebraska players to replace

NUance

52 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

You remember that Gates had an ankle injury during the last part of the 2016 season, right?  But we didn't have anyone behind him that was better, injury and all.  So he played injured. 

And that clip shows All American DE Derek Barnett going up against redshirt sophomore Nick Gates.  Barnett went 14th overall in the first round of the NFL draft a couple months later.  What exactly would you expect out of that situation?  Or are you just parroting the point of that douchenozzle Cole Cubelic in his Tweet with Barnett v. Gates? 

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, NUance said:

How could they possibly not have Nick Gates on that list?  Am I missing something? 

I'd say:  

Joshua Kalu

Nick Gates

Chris Weber

Chris Jones

Drew Brown 

Nothing against Tanner Lee.  I just don't think we'll miss leading the nation in pick sixes.  

Nick gates...???   the weakest (laziest) link in the o-line..??   I guess we will see where he actually ranks come draft time....  my guess... free agent low...

12 minutes ago, NUance said:

You remember that Gates had an ankle injury during the last part of the 2016 season, right?  But we didn't have anyone behind him that was better, injury and all.  So he played injured. 

And that clip shows All American DE Derek Barnett going up against redshirt sophomore Nick Gates.  Barnett went 14th overall in the first round of the NFL draft a couple months later.  What exactly would you expect out of that situation?  Or are you just parroting the point of that douchenozzle Cole Cubelic in his Tweet with Barnett v. Gates? 

I do remember that but he was supposedly pretty healthy by the bowl game.  I would expect a lot of players to get beat multiple times in that situation, Barnett is a heck of a player but those attempts by Gates are pitiful and I'm pretty sure he got beat just about every play.  That was just the best example I could find in a clip of Gates missing blocks.  There's multiple other instances both in 2016 & 2017.  

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, NUance said:

Id bet we could find clips like that in almost every game gates played..   

Chris weber and drew brown will surely be missed..

55 minutes ago, NUance said:

I would expect our best offensive lineman, one who had been touted as all-conference and our best pro prospect, to do better than he showed. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

No disrespect, but I've never seen an easier 5 to replace going into next season. 

My thoughts exactly and it's not necessarily due to any shortcomings of those mentioned. Between injuries, scheme/coaching and lack of leadership, these guys really didn't stand a chance of contributing more than they did.

7 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

We were much worse last year because we lost TA. We will not miss the immobile, interception prone QB we had in 2017.

^^True that!  I used to go on and on about what a great running QB Tommy was, and how hard he was to tackle for a loss.  But all anyone wanted to talk about was his passing skills.  Or lack thereof. (It's true.  He wasn't much of a passer. ugh.)  I don't think anyone realized the poor state of our offensive line back then.  Tommy's legs masked our inability to pass block.  Then Tommy graduates and we transition to a passing QB with poor mobility.  Tanner Lee standing back there like a granite statue exposed our O-line for what it is.  A sieve.  

But it's not like we have tons of better O-line talent further down on the depth chart.  That's why someone like Nick Gates won't be easy to replace.  People can criticize him all they want.  But his talent level isn't far away from NFL caliber.  (It remains to be seen whether he's drafted or not.  Likely be a lower round pick or free agent.)  Maybe Christian Gaylord or one of the other guys will step in and be a world beater.  Or maybe not.  If our O-line play doesn't improve we won't be much better than a .500 ball club.  And our O-line for next season is a giant question mark.  /jmho 

Edited by NUance
  • Plus1 1

We are up to the 6th ranked recruiting class in the BIG (29th overall), with 7 four stars. I expect this to improve as we will get more than our share of players for the remaining of this recruiting period. I expect the returning players to be better, and I expect to see many new starters, including many of this year's recruits.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

We are up to the 6th ranked recruiting class in the BIG (29th overall), with 7 four stars. I expect this to improve as we will get more than our share of players for the remaining of this recruiting period. I expect the returning players to be better, and I expect to see many new starters, including many of this year's recruits.

Let's hope so!  

12 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Brown and Weber will likely be the hardest to replace.  Brown, because we are starting over at kicker once again and Weber because he was actually a good spot on our defense and nobody behind him showed much.  

I agree, but Will Honas will fill his spot, and maybe even be better than Weber. We got JUCOs in the positions on D we had holes at