• Announcements

• Mavric

The 2018 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup   01/17/2018

The 2018 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup is now live! Click HERE to read the rules, and look in the Contest Crib for nomination and voting threads throughout the next several weeks.   This is a great opportunity to say "thanks!" to your fellow HuskerBoard members for keeping you informed or entertained throughout the past year. Nominate your favorite HuskerBoard member today!
NUance

Top 5 Nebraska players to replace

Top 5 Nebraska players to replace

By Tom Dienhart, BTN.com Senior Writer, 18 hours ago 

Here are the top five Cornhuskers to replace:

K Drew Brown. He hit 12-of-14 field goals last season, with a long of 44 yards, for a program that had few consistent components. Brown hit 77 percent of his all-time kicks, nailing 59-of-76 career field-goal attempts with a long of 51 yards.

CB Chris Jones. He was limited to just seven games and six starts because of a knee injury suffered before the season even started. But when he was in the lineup, Jones was good. He was one of the better Huskers at playing the ball in the air, using his angular 6-0 frame.

S Joshua Kalu. Even though he played in just nine games because of a hamstring issue, Kalu ranked fifth on the team in tackles (47). He also paced the squad with two interceptions and six passes broken up.

QB Tanner Lee. The Tulane transfer is bolting early to the NFL after what was a strong junior season—his only one slinging passes in Lincoln. Lee finished second in the Big Ten in passing (261.9 ypg), hitting 57 percent of his attempts for 3,143 yards with 23 TDs. But he did pace the Big Ten with 16 interceptions.

LB Chris Weber. The Nebraska defense had a lot of issues in 2017. But Weber was one of the few bright spots. He led the team with 95 tackles and was second with 9.5 TFLs. Not bad for a guy who arrived on campus as a walk-on.

LINK

Yeah, Drew Brown was great, but when your kicker is at the top of a list like this you're not losing much. I'd probably move Weber up the list a couple spots even.

How could they possibly not have Nick Gates on that list?  Am I missing something? 

I'd say:  

Joshua Kalu

Nick Gates

Chris Weber

Chris Jones

Drew Brown 

Nothing against Tanner Lee.  I just don't think we'll miss leading the nation in pick sixes.  

I think this list shows that last year was absolute rock bottom for this program. No disrespect to Drew Brown at all and losing such a reliable kicker is going to hurt more than we think, but the fact that he is the top of the list is pretty telling.

1 hour ago, NUance said:

How could they possibly not have Nick Gates on that list?  Am I missing something? 

I'd say:  

Joshua Kalu

Nick Gates

Chris Weber

Chris Jones

Drew Brown 

Nothing against Tanner Lee.  I just don't think we'll miss leading the nation in pick sixes.  

dc7c855f49c4f4f13b8244052706a794.gif

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yeah, Drew Brown was great, but when your kicker is at the top of a list like this you're not losing much. I'd probably move Weber up the list a couple spots even.

I believe the list is in alphabetical order not 'skill' order.  

1 hour ago, NUance said:

I'd say:  

Joshua Kalu

Nick Gates

Chris Weber

Chris Jones

Drew Brown 

Kalu to me is easily the guy we'll miss the most out of that list.  He still made some key plays at safety.  I was never as high on Chris Jones as a lot of the media were.  Now that I say that he'll be a future all pro in the league for all I know.

1 hour ago, dspanther05 said:

I think this list shows that last year was absolute rock bottom for this program. No disrespect to Drew Brown at all and losing such a reliable kicker is going to hurt more than we think, but the fact that he is the top of the list is pretty telling.

I couldn't agree more.   

That Nick Gates video is hard to watch. They really weren't teaching any skills were they.  Gates is one of the biggest coaching fails when it comes to Freshman potential to Senior results

52 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

You remember that Gates had an ankle injury during the last part of the 2016 season, right?  But we didn't have anyone behind him that was better, injury and all.  So he played injured. 

And that clip shows All American DE Derek Barnett going up against redshirt sophomore Nick Gates.  Barnett went 14th overall in the first round of the NFL draft a couple months later.  What exactly would you expect out of that situation?  Or are you just parroting the point of that douchenozzle Cole Cubelic in his Tweet with Barnett v. Gates? 

2 hours ago, NUance said:

I'd say:  

Joshua Kalu

Nick Gates

Chris Weber

Chris Jones

Drew Brown 

Nick gates...???   the weakest (laziest) link in the o-line..??   I guess we will see where he actually ranks come draft time....  my guess... free agent low...

12 minutes ago, NUance said:

You remember that Gates had an ankle injury during the last part of the 2016 season, right?  But we didn't have anyone behind him that was better, injury and all.  So he played injured. 

And that clip shows All American DE Derek Barnett going up against redshirt sophomore Nick Gates.  Barnett went 14th overall in the first round of the NFL draft a couple months later.  What exactly would you expect out of that situation?  Or are you just parroting the point of that douchenozzle Cole Cubelic in his Tweet with Barnett v. Gates? 

I do remember that but he was supposedly pretty healthy by the bowl game.  I would expect a lot of players to get beat multiple times in that situation, Barnett is a heck of a player but those attempts by Gates are pitiful and I'm pretty sure he got beat just about every play.  That was just the best example I could find in a clip of Gates missing blocks.  There's multiple other instances both in 2016 & 2017.  

16 minutes ago, NUance said:

Id bet we could find clips like that in almost every game gates played..   

Chris weber and drew brown will surely be missed..

55 minutes ago, NUance said:

I would expect our best offensive lineman, one who had been touted as all-conference and our best pro prospect, to do better than he showed. 

I applaud all those on the list for giving it their all.  IMHO, all were screwed by an incompetent staff and scheme.....The reality is none lived up to their potential while here.  It's sad when even attrition doesn't impact NU at all...............

Unfortunately they may be missed.  Drew Brown earned his scholarship quite nicely and was a fine Husker.   If next year's kicker hits about 55% of his kicks, Drew will be missed sorely.

11 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

No disrespect, but I've never seen an easier 5 to replace going into next season. 

My thoughts exactly and it's not necessarily due to any shortcomings of those mentioned. Between injuries, scheme/coaching and lack of leadership, these guys really didn't stand a chance of contributing more than they did.

16 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Unfortunately they may be missed.  Drew Brown earned his scholarship quite nicely and was a fine Husker.   If next year's kicker hits about 55% of his kicks, Drew will be missed sorely.

dwayne-the-rock-johnson-shazam-movie-bla

7 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

We were much worse last year because we lost TA. We will not miss the immobile, interception prone QB we had in 2017.

^^True that!  I used to go on and on about what a great running QB Tommy was, and how hard he was to tackle for a loss.  But all anyone wanted to talk about was his passing skills.  Or lack thereof. (It's true.  He wasn't much of a passer. ugh.)  I don't think anyone realized the poor state of our offensive line back then.  Tommy's legs masked our inability to pass block.  Then Tommy graduates and we transition to a passing QB with poor mobility.  Tanner Lee standing back there like a granite statue exposed our O-line for what it is.  A sieve.  

But it's not like we have tons of better O-line talent further down on the depth chart.  That's why someone like Nick Gates won't be easy to replace.  People can criticize him all they want.  But his talent level isn't far away from NFL caliber.  (It remains to be seen whether he's drafted or not.  Likely be a lower round pick or free agent.)  Maybe Christian Gaylord or one of the other guys will step in and be a world beater.  Or maybe not.  If our O-line play doesn't improve we won't be much better than a .500 ball club.  And our O-line for next season is a giant question mark.  /jmho 

Edited by NUance

We are up to the 6th ranked recruiting class in the BIG (29th overall), with 7 four stars. I expect this to improve as we will get more than our share of players for the remaining of this recruiting period. I expect the returning players to be better, and I expect to see many new starters, including many of this year's recruits.

15 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

We are up to the 6th ranked recruiting class in the BIG (29th overall), with 7 four stars. I expect this to improve as we will get more than our share of players for the remaining of this recruiting period. I expect the returning players to be better, and I expect to see many new starters, including many of this year's recruits.

Let's hope so!  

Brown and Weber will likely be the hardest to replace.  Brown, because we are starting over at kicker once again and Weber because he was actually a good spot on our defense and nobody behind him showed much.  

12 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Brown and Weber will likely be the hardest to replace.  Brown, because we are starting over at kicker once again and Weber because he was actually a good spot on our defense and nobody behind him showed much.  

I agree, but Will Honas will fill his spot, and maybe even be better than Weber. We got JUCOs in the positions on D we had holes at

23 hours ago, RedSavage said:

I remember watching that game thinking we were going to be in trouble this year without a dual-threat qb, still didn't think it would be as bad as it turned-out to be. 

7 minutes ago, Roll Skers said:

I agree, but Will Honas will fill his spot, and maybe even be better than Weber. We got JUCOs in the positions on D we had holes at

Honas has potential but there's going to be a learning curve for him next year.  He's always played in a 4-3, and the adjustment into a 3-4 won't be easy.   Fortunately he's an inside linebacker and if they keep him inside that's an easier transition that the outside would be.  I'd like to see him add 10 pounds or so to be at a more ideal weight.  The kids going to take a pounding playing in the big10

23 hours ago, NUance said:

That isn't lack of experience, thats just utter s#!t 0% effort in blocking by gates lmao

On 1/18/2018 at 7:52 AM, B.B. Hemingway said:

On 1/18/2018 at 7:48 AM, BIG ERN said:

No disrespect, but I've never seen an easier 5 to replace going into next season. 

I agree that Drew Brown is going to be the toughest to replace.  Its so sad to even utter those words.

I would not move #49 up on that list at all.  I could make the argument that he was the reason for most of the big run plays.  Slow and stiff.  

Tanner Lee on the list is almost meta. He wouldn't be on the list if we weren't getting a new coaching staff.

This year is more about getting the returning players to adjust to a new system than replacing players from the old system anyway. 

On 1/18/2018 at 10:56 AM, NUance said:

Don't you know that if you are a highly touted player at Nebraska(bonus points for oline) and you dont live up to the hype then you are just a giant piece of s#!t that can never do anything right and everyone can talk down on you. 

My Top 5

Eichorst, 

Riley,

Cav,

Langs,

Dorko.

OP didn't say it had to be the "hardest" to replace.

Edited by B1GRED

On 1/18/2018 at 9:48 AM, TGHusker said:

That Nick Gates video is hard to watch. They really weren't teaching any skills were they.  Gates is one of the biggest coaching fails when it comes to Freshman potential to Senior results

Benning talking again just now about a time when Phillip was trying to get after Gates for lack of effort in the weight room but Riley stepped in and told him to lay off him.

Averse to accountability, or so it would seem.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Benning talking again just now about a time when Phillip was trying to get after Gates for lack of effort in the weight room but Riley stepped in and told him to lay off him.

Riley was too busy trying to be everyone's friend rather than being their actual coach.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

SMH.  With all the tidbits coming out about how things have been run under certain regimes, from the top on down, am i so thankful the house has been cleaned and slates freshened.  GBR!!

20 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

SMH.  With all the tidbits coming out about how things have been run under certain regimes, from the top on down, am i so thankful the house has been cleaned and slates freshened.  GBR!!

But the toxins!!!!