Healthcare Reform

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

:facepalm: Just an FYI....the guy is an idiot.

One of the replies with a real-world example:

Measles! f#&%ing measles! And not too long ago there was a small mumps outbreak in the NHL due to some of the foreign players not getting vaccinated! s#!t like this makes me insane.

• Plus1 2
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Now he's picking a fight I can get behind.  But, as usual, he will do it the wrong way.

I've seen this one before.

All it will take is one sit down with Big Pharma execs and he'll change his tune. He's flip-flopped on this issue before in fact. It's one of the drawbacks of having a chronically ignorant marionette running your country. All you have to do to control the strings is have a lot of money and stroke his ego with flattery.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I've seen this one before.

All it will take is one sit down with Big Pharma execs and he'll change his tune. He's flip-flopped on this issue before in fact. It's one of the drawbacks of having a chronically ignorant marionette running your country. All you have to do to control the strings is have a lot of money and stroke his ego with flattery.

I know. But, I agree with him. 

12 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

He's not wrong. He just doesn't care about fixing it.

Trump frequently diagnoses some of the right problems in our country. He just wants to cut himself in on the con rather than working towards a solution. 

Oh....I agree ....with one correction. 

He he wants his daughter to have a cut of it. You know.....because he has stepped away from the business. 

I've been self-employed for 30 years. Good affordable healthcare for most of it.  Got a little dicey when I lost my guild insurance. Cobra was expensive, so I was grateful for the Obamacare option. 

Then my wife got a full time job with benefits. What a relief.

Except....her healthcare "benefit" is $2,700 a month for our family. Or $300 more than Obamacare WITHOUT any federal assistance. And her group coverage is actually worse.

$2,700 a month. With plenty of out-of-pocket charges on top.

I'm just stunned and depressed by healthcare in this country. It's insane.  

• Plus1 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Welp...

Trump promised them better, cheaper health care. It’s not happening.

President Donald Trump handed an influential business advocacy group what should have been a historic lobbying victory when he recently rolled out new rules encouraging small businesses to band together to offer health insurance.

Trump, who’s touted the expansion of so-called association health plans as a key plank in his strategy to tear down Obamacare, even announced the rules at the 75th anniversary party of the National Federation of Independent Business last month, claiming the group’s members will save “massive amounts of money” and have better care if they join forces to offer coverage to workers.

But the NFIB, which vigorously promoted association health plans for two decades, now says it won’t set one up, describing the new Trump rules as unworkable. And the NFIB isn’t the only one: Several of the nationwide trade groups that cheered Trump’s new insurance rules told POLITICO they’re still trying to figure out how to take advantage of them and whether the effort is even worth it.

That could signal there’s minimal early interest in an initiative the administration says will help lower health care costs — and one that Trump himself has prematurely hailed as a wild success. Trump falsely claimed during rallies in recent weeks that “millions” are signing up, though the new health plans can’t be sold until Sept. 1.

Behind the scenes, the NFIB had already been souring on the idea before Trump’s announcement, concluding that establishing an association health plan would be too complex and not worth the effort. The NFIB, which offered only a vague endorsement of the Trump effort last month, now says it’s abandoned any idea of setting up a national plan for its hundreds of thousands of members. 

“We can’t set up an AHP under the new rules any more than [we] could under the old rules,” spokesman Adam Temple said.

The NFIB, which typically supports Republican policies, argues that the Trump administration’s sweeping regulations don’t go far enough, failing to eliminate key roadblocks that would prevent diverse organizations like it from creating a nationwide association health plan.

1 hour ago, Clifford Franklin said:

The problem with how Trump and the Republicans look at healthcare is that if any small thing is wrong with something...F'ing cut the whole damn thing out.

It's like having a wart on your toe so you amputate the entire leg.

They don't look at anything intellectual enough to actually think about how to fix the problem.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sounds pricey on the surface.  And knowing people will cuss, there would have to be some sort of tax to offset the expense.  But I'm curious how much Americans spend as a whole on private medical coverage.  I'm guess close to that number if not more; I have homework for the day.

Depending on the numbers, my point is that I would rather pay an extra $500 in taxes to receive full coverage for my family versus paying $700 to a private company to hope they cover us.  If the US population is 300,000,000 that is only $106/year per person.  Seems kind of cheap.

EDIT:  I should have read the article first.  Mia Culpa!  Makes a hell of a difference!  They are talking 32 Trillion of 10 years, or 3.2 Trillion a year.  That is $10.60 a person.  Why aren't we doing this yesterday???  

"It would deliver significant savings on administration and drug costs, but increased demand for care would drive up spending, the analysis found."

^^^This quote from the article seems to say the study acknowledges there are a lot of people going without medical treatment that need it.  That's a problem that I don't feel the United States should have.

• Plus1 4