Government shutdowns

I'm pretty ignorant on this except that I know it happened during Obama's presidency as well. So maybe this is a stupid question.

But couldn't this be prevented by passing a law that states if a new budget isn't passed, the status quo will stay in place - i.e. the budget from the previous year is used? This would prevent things like using children's lives to bargain with. Why does funding stop because our politicians are selfish and/or incompetent a******s?

On CHIP specifically - it should renew automatically so they have to vote to stop it. Rather than vote to continue it.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3

it should be automatic like that....but that makes too much sense for the government.   

Donnie and the jets wanted this shutdown so there was nothing going to stop it.   the senate had an agreement worked out and presented it to donnie and that is when he went on his "s#!t hole" rant.    what can the senate do when he said he would sign anything they agreed to....then when they agreed he put on a s#!t show and wouldn't sign on?  this is all on Donnie.

5 hours ago, commando said:

it should be automatic like that....but that makes too much sense for the government.   

Donnie and the jets wanted this shutdown so there was nothing going to stop it.   the senate had an agreement worked out and presented it to donnie and that is when he went on his "s#!t hole" rant.    what can the senate do when he said he would sign anything they agreed to....then when they agreed he put on a s#!t show and wouldn't sign on?  this is all on Donnie.

I don't think it is all on Trump. A lot of it is, obviously.

But enough of the GOP is supposedly pro CHIP, anti wall, and pro DACA.

It should be an extremely simple matter for them to override Trump's veto.

They are just selfish and scared their constituents will vote them out of office if they do that. They're more concerned about staying in office than doing what is good for the country. There should be term limits so they are less concerned about votes.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I'm pretty ignorant on this except that I know it happened during Obama's presidency as well. So maybe this is a stupid question.

But couldn't this be prevented by passing a law that states if a new budget isn't passed, the status quo will stay in place - i.e. the budget from the previous year is used? This would prevent things like using children's lives to bargain with. Why does funding stop because our politicians are selfish and/or incompetent a******s?

On CHIP specifically - it should renew automatically so they have to vote to stop it. Rather than vote to continue it.

The really silly thing is that we passed a law to make this happen - the No Budget, No Pay Act of 2013. Before that if no resolution was passed, then the previously passed budget stayed in effect.

Basically, Congress passed a incredibly stupid law in 2013 that gives a yearly chance for the government to get shutdown. And we continue to be too stupid to simply repeal that law.

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The really silly thing is that we passed a law to make this happen - the No Budget, No Pay Act of 2013. Before that if no resolution was passed, then the previously passed budget stayed in effect.

Basically, Congress passed a incredibly stupid law in 2013 that gives a yearly chance for the government to get shutdown. And we continue to be too stupid to simply repeal that law.

I forgot about this:

No Senate budget was passed for FY2011, FY2012, or FY2013

On 1/20/2018 at 9:52 AM, Moiraine said:

I don't think it is all on Trump. A lot of it is, obviously.

But enough of the GOP is supposedly pro CHIP, anti wall, and pro DACA.

It should be an extremely simple matter for them to override Trump's veto.

They are just selfish and scared their constituents will vote them out of office if they do that. They're more concerned about staying in office than doing what is good for the country. There should be term limits so they are less concerned about votes.

And this is case-in-point for why nothing gets done in Washington any longer. Instead of having to cater to the sane, rational-thinking Republicans (at least the ones that haven't been run off by the daily barrage of derp, at any rate), candidates are having to kowtow to the extreme fringe of their party, because they're the only ones that get out and vote with any consistency. Something similar is happening with the Democrats too, but to a much lesser extent (so far). 

This could be remedied by:

a) making Election Day in November a Federal holiday,

b) passing a law requiring everyone able to vote to go and do so, even if it's to record a 'non-vote', not unlike what Australia has, and

c) making vote by mail and voting online available to the masses so polling places aren't gummed up.

Of course, these suggestions are anathema to the GOP, as this doesn't disenfranchise minority and/or women voters, so I doubt they'd come to pass. #SorryNotSorry

Edited by VectorVictor
43 minutes ago, commando said:

wow...hadn't thought of the wall in these terms...but damnnnn!!!!  $21,000,000 per mile???   so much for the GOP being fiscal conservatives if they want to pay this much for a dang ole wall.

I can't find what the cost for reconstruction is on average, but I found the average cost for new construction and ROW acquisition is. We could rebuild 20% on all existing roadways in the United States, from scratch, with that much money. Or, we could give just $1.3 billion of it to Nebraska and fix every single road in the state and save the country $38.7 billion.

FWIW, Delaware is the most expensive state to build a new lane-mile at $80,320 in 2014. That means in Delaware, you could build a new 4-lane highway for 65 miles for the approximate cost of building one mile of wall.

Nebraska was 49th at $6,835 per lane-mile.

https://midwestepi.org/2017/05/03/what-are-road-construction-costs-per-lane-mile-in-your-state/

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinformation/statistics/2013/hm60.cfm

:eek:

• Plus1 3