Sunshine Pumping!

I know we all love to debate, talk about recruits, and talk about X's and O's. I want to take a moment and celebrate the fact that we again have hope. To celebrate the fact that we all have a common bond to be here and be a part of this community.  To celebrate the potential that we may again be the one to be feared in college football. Let me hear your best NU football stories and let me see your best sunshine pumping gif!tenor.gif

2IAqlWT.gif

latest?cb=20150101175453

NXw7O_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

75d8f4afae4c0b2568a03799e7028fc3.gif

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Sunshine Pumper ??  ....... Well of course !!  (again). 

However keep in mind, Huskers Hope is a dangerous thing.  Hope can drive an NU fan insane ....... including myself. (Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding)

AA_NUROCKET.gif

If we don't have hope, we don't have much left.  Seems a lot of people around here enjoy complaining a bit too much.

That's a lot of posts without any Husker stories.  I'll try to contribute some per the OP's request.

I went to both games against Notre Dame in the early 2000's and noticed some Husker haters from Omaha at each one.

I saw us lose to Texas when we had a chance to win (think it was a Nunn fumble when we were just getting into FG range for a shot at a win under Callahan).  There were Texas fans that were getting some abuse on the walk out but those of us who cared more about our reputation for hospitality shouted the abusers down.

Dan Livingston went to my church when I was a kid.  I believe he was on the Bob Devaney Prediction Show.  Dan's son, Scott, was a PK for NU as well.  Anyway, we used to meet a Husker or two every season when I was growing up as a result.  Rimington, Skow, Fryar, Rozier, and Redwine were the biggest names I can recall now.  I'd guess Turner also visited but can't recall now.  I remember thinking it was cool that Irving and Mike grew up playing together some...because one lived next to the other's grandmother or something.

As a graduate student, I remember the Crouch-Newcombe controversy was a pretty ugly affair.  Those out of earshot of the student section were fortunate during the game I think was against Southen Miss.  At least the kids won that game, though.  My lowest point in Memorial Stadium was probably halftime of the 2005 Missouri game (which was probably the first non-Spring Husker game I took one of my kids to).  You keep hoping because you're there but I'm not sure I'd have finished watching that one had I been home.

I'm friends with a guy who played as an OL for the Huskers back in the fifties.  He likes to say he sacrificed his body for his HS and college teammate, Bobby Reynolds.  As great a legacy as Mr. Touchdown has, it sounds like he didn't have the benefit of good health long...and freshmen never played back then.  The funniest stuff he'd tell me about, though, had to do with their training and game prep.  He said they were instructed not to lift weights nor even swim maybe because the coaches didn't want them to bulk up.  They'd have big steak dinners a couple hour before kickoff.

I remember being at 72nd and Dodge for TO's first championship and tried to get a friend to agree to go there if NU could reach 5 wins after Northern Illinois more recently...  He wouldn't do it but, in the end, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Edited by beorach
  • Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, beorach said:

That's a lot of posts without any Husker stories.  I'll try to contribute some per the OP's request.

I went to both games against Notre Dame in the early 2000's and noticed some Husker haters from Omaha at each one.

I saw us lose to Texas when we had a chance to win (think it was a Nunn fumble when we were just getting into FG range for a shot at a win under Callahan).  There were Texas fans that were getting some abuse on the walk out but those of us who cared more about our reputation for hospitality shouted the abusers down.

Dan Livingston went to my church when I was a kid.  I believe he was on the Bob Devaney Prediction Show.  Dan's son, Scott, was a PK for NU as well.  Anyway, we used to meet a Husker or two every season when I was growing up as a result.  Rimington, Skow, Fryar, Rozier, and Redwine were the biggest names I can recall now.  I'd guess Turner also visited but can't recall now.  I remember thinking it was cool that Irving and Mike grew up playing together some...because one lived next to the other's grandmother or something.

As a graduate student, I remember the Crouch-Newcombe controversy was a pretty ugly affair.  Those out of earshot of the student section were fortunate during the game I think was against Southen Miss.  At least the kids won that game, though.  My lowest point in Memorial Stadium was probably halftime of the 2005 Missouri game (which was probably the first non-Spring Husker game I took one of my kids to).  You keep hoping because you're there but I'm not sure I'd have finished watching that one had I been home.

I'm friends with a guy who played as an OL for the Huskers back in the fifties.  He likes to say he sacrificed his body for his HS and college teammate, Bobby Reynolds.  As great a legacy as Mr. Touchdown has, it sounds like he didn't have the benefit of good health long...and freshmen never played back then.  The funniest stuff he'd tell me about, though, had to do with their training and game prep.  He said they were instructed not to lift weights nor even swim maybe because the coaches didn't want them to bulk up.  They'd have big steak dinners a couple hour before kickoff.

I remember being at 72nd and Dodge for TO's first championship and tried to get a friend to agree to go there if NU could reach 5 wins after Northern Illinois more recently...  He wouldn't do it but, in the end, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Good stuff.  I was at that 2006 (I think) Texas game while I was at NU.  It was a lot of fun with the b******* in the student section, then Lucky threw the HB pass to take the lead and the place went nuts.  Then the fumble...haha

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Good stuff.  I was at that 2006 (I think) Texas game while I was at NU.  It was a lot of fun with the b******* in the student section, then Lucky threw the HB pass to take the lead and the place went nuts.  Then the fumble...haha

Yeah, I don't remember the name of the TE we had starting back then but he was from Texas and had been playing well that day...thought he'd have been the target for that third down we needed (is about all I can recall otherwise aside from the snow that day).  It certainly wasn't anything like Tommy Armstrong's last Iowa game in Lincoln.  THAT was a cold one!