Duval's conditioning starts Monday. UCF players share.

55 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Anyone know if Duval/staff will do testing to evaluate gains and/or maxes before spring ball begins? 

Based off the few anecdotes we've heard from Duval and the staff, they're actively measuring maxes, BMI, etc. IMO this is pretty par of the course nowadays because of how important analytics have become even at the college level.

• Plus1 1

Foster said Duval’s program was closer to that of James Dobson — head strength coach under former coach Bo Pelini — than NU’s most recent strength coach, Mark Philipp. Nebraska players are back to doing back squats, in which the bar sits on a player’s upper back, after three years of doing front squats, in which the bar sits on a lifter’s shoulders, under his chin.

Duval also prefers football-tailored lifts over Olympic lifts, which had been used under Philipp.

“We do hang clean — a clean where you’re not going to let go of the weight (between repetitions),” Foster said. “With the last staff, we did power cleans. You had boxes the weight would sit on. You’d clean it up and let it drop, get back under it and do it again and keep doing that. Or we’d do it from the floor. That was the Olympic lift. And we used to do snatches, where you’d pick it up and put it over your head.

OWH

19 hours ago, Mavric said:

“With the last staff, we did power cleans. You had boxes the weight would sit on. You’d clean it up and let it drop, get back under it and do it again and keep doing that. Or we’d do it from the floor.

Is that how you are supposed to power clean? We always brought it down to the rest position like hang cleans, and the lower it to the floor and power clean

On 3/9/2018 at 7:02 PM, jsneb83 said:

Is that how you are supposed to power clean? We always brought it down to the rest position like hang cleans, and the lower it to the floor and power clean

I know of some that like to drop it so you save the strain on your back from catching the weight.   No point in lowering it to hang position if you are going to floor with it.  

18 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Neal came in with very high expectations. Would be very neat to see them realized under Frost and Duval.

That would be great.  But I've been skeptical about him since he was in high school.  I think he's a good athlete but I just think he's too tall for a defensive lineman.  Tough to be quick and/or get leverage at that size.

14 hours ago, runningblind said:

Where else would you put him? 

I don't really know if he has a spot.  I suppose Tight End would be about the only other option.

I just wasn't ever expecting much from him because being that tall doesn't lend itself to football all that well.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't really know if he has a spot.  I suppose Tight End would be about the only other option.

I just wasn't ever expecting much from him because being that tall doesn't lend itself to football all that well.

So how tall is too tall for the defensive line?  6'5?