Duval's conditioning starts Monday. UCF players share.

42 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Pretty sure that's three pounds, not a third of a pound.

Did the math pretty quick in my head but 436 lbs -gained minus 389 lbs lost = 47 lbs net gain divided by 130 players is about 'a third of a pound' on the scale I'd say.  

I would have expected the team to have lost maybe 4-5 lbs 'net' weight per man over a 6 week grueling conditioning period after a long Christmas etc break.  I am no conditioning/nutrition expert so was looking for some comments by those more knowledgeable but just seems like a team out of shape might easily lose fat and excess pounds before adding back muscle but guess the conversion rate is better than I would have thought.  My guess would have been to run the heck out of 'em all to start with to get them into great cardio condition and then begin the building of new muscle mass and strength (again my non-expert thoughts).

48 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Did the math pretty quick in my head but 436 lbs -gained minus 389 lbs lost = 47 lbs net gain divided by 130 players is about 'a third of a pound' on the scale I'd say.  

I would have expected the team to have lost maybe 4-5 lbs 'net' weight per man over a 6 week grueling conditioning period after a long Christmas etc break.  I am no conditioning/nutrition expert so was looking for some comments by those more knowledgeable but just seems like a team out of shape might easily lose fat and excess pounds before adding back muscle but guess the conversion rate is better than I would have thought.  My guess would have been to run the heck out of 'em all to start with to get them into great cardio condition and then begin the building of new muscle mass and strength (again my non-expert thoughts).

Your math is right but what you're measuring doesn't make sense for athletes who are trying to build muscle. It doesn't matter if they each gained 5lbs as long as they lost fat lbs.

If come fall the team has lost net weight, that's bad, not good. A net gain is better unless it's a gain in fat.

The only exceptions are, e.g., if you have someone overweight who loses 50lbs of fat and gains 15lbs muscle. We may have some overweight players but not enough that we want an average net loss in weight.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2
22 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not sure how long the time period was for this weight loss/gain transformation but it is roughly a third of a pound for the 130 or so on the team give a take a quarter pounder meal.  I would expect that by fall one could expect to see three or four times that or more.   Wonder what the average body fat% was and is and should be to please Coach Frost?   That is, how far do we need to go to get to the 'right' numbers as a team.   I am sure there are a handful of guys that are already in pretty good shape but some a long ways off.  

Dropping about 15 pounds of dead weight and adding 10 lbs of muscle will make a difference and 25 lbs would be dramatic I'd guess.

Why subtract one from the other when both muscle gained and fat lost are positives? I'd add them together to say we had 825 total "positive pounds" improvement.  Gained fat and lost muscle would be added together as a "negative pounds", representing a decline. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I like the idea.  But I'm not gonna lie .... that makes me cringe.  Seems like a good way to throw out a back to me.

Reminds me of the atlas stones event in the world's strongest man competition.  I always wondered how they didn't get injured picking up a 352 lb stone.

11 hours ago, Danimal said:

Why subtract one from the other when both muscle gained and fat lost are positives? I'd add them together to say we had 825 total "positive pounds" improvement.  Gained fat and lost muscle would be added together as a "negative pounds", representing a decline. 

I am not saying we want the team to lose weight (net) but I just would have expected that the great majority of players were carrying excess weight as they were not in great shape in general.  Therefore, one might reasonably have expected some overall net loss of total pounds before adding back 'good' weight in terms of muscle.  The conversion rate of 1 to1 basically sounds fine but it surprises me, particularly this early in the process.   Of course, we all know that the first few pounds of weight loss tend to be 'water' weight so to speak and almost anyone can drop a few pounds quickly by simply going hungry a few days but real, beneficial weight loss or conversion if this case, takes time.  This has been my understanding.  I realize we are talking about athletes who presumably have been in some kind of generally better than average condition and fitness.   But, still, if the pictures were showing a fat, out of shape team in need of heavy duty conditioning, then one might expect early loss before gain.  I am happy the numbers are not bigger or I would be concerned the process is happening too fast and might be a health risk.  The process will take time but hopefully we see a 15 or 20 pound conversion or more by fall or by next spring testsing.  Thay will make a dramatic difference in my view.

3 hours ago, Toe said:

I was thinking the same as I watched it, you can't really get 'proper' form with that kind of lift.

Looks like the 200-250lb bag from Rogue Fitness.  The non-traditonal objects appear to be the newer thing in functional fitness.  Pick up heavy stuff ie sand bags, those strongman sandbags etc simulates real world fitness.  In football, when you grab a player, they react and move on multiple planes, pushing/pulling etc at the same time. The odd object training, IIRC, attempts to replicate that (not just football, but real world).  It can shift, collapse, one side gets lighter etc....Used a lot with .mil and .gov types...

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Reminds me of the atlas stones event in the world's strongest man competition.  I always wondered how they didn't get injured picking up a 352 lb stone.

I have always thought that it would be bad ass to have a room in a gym with fridges, couches, stoves, crap like that...stuff that you actually move at times...and you can do your functional fitness in there.