Duval's conditioning starts Monday. UCF players share.

35 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but this is pretty impressive.

The article says he deleted the tweet. He's been on Nebraska's staff since 2014. Hopefully he's not fired for giving away secrets without permission :P

Edited by Moiraine

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I read that UCF didn't have a training table and Frost kind of brought in the nutrition stuff from scratch.

Nebraska already had everything set up. They had dietitions, calories listed on all the foods, all of that. But at least one thing Frost has done is forced the players to actually eat there a minimum # of times. Seems like that should have been obvious.

Seems like A LOT of things should have been obvious, but instead of obvious, they turned oblivious instead.

On 3/19/2018 at 5:05 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

I am not saying we want the team to lose weight (net) but I just would have expected that the great majority of players were carrying excess weight as they were not in great shape in general.  Therefore, one might reasonably have expected some overall net loss of total pounds before adding back 'good' weight in terms of muscle.  The conversion rate of 1 to1 basically sounds fine but it surprises me, particularly this early in the process.   Of course, we all know that the first few pounds of weight loss tend to be 'water' weight so to speak and almost anyone can drop a few pounds quickly by simply going hungry a few days but real, beneficial weight loss or conversion if this case, takes time.  This has been my understanding.  I realize we are talking about athletes who presumably have been in some kind of generally better than average condition and fitness.   But, still, if the pictures were showing a fat, out of shape team in need of heavy duty conditioning, then one might expect early loss before gain.  I am happy the numbers are not bigger or I would be concerned the process is happening too fast and might be a health risk.  The process will take time but hopefully we see a 15 or 20 pound conversion or more by fall or by next spring testsing.  Thay will make a dramatic difference in my view.

If you want to average it out over all 130 players, I think the takeaway from those numbers should be that each player lost 3 lbs of fat and gained 3.35 lbs of lean muscle. In my mind that is a 6.35 lb improvement per player. And what’s it been, only about 2 months? I’d say that is rather significant considering the majority of these players are D1 college football athletes. And since it’s an average I would assume the more out of shape guys made greater improvement and those who were already in pretty good shape are likely dragging down the average. For the most part that kind of redistribution cannot be compared to some fat ass couch potato like me. Riley obviously didn’t have these guys in the best shape but they were still college athletes so a pretty far cry from slouches.

• Plus1 3

7 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

That's a 675 pound squat. That's pretty impressive!

Edit: Compare that to the 550 pound squat that people were excited about with Bryson Williams at Wiscy. Granted he's a frosh, but adding 125 pounds to your squat at that weight isn't easy!

Freedom is a beast. Too bad the last staff bulked him up about 20 pounds too much and cost him some explosiveness.

• Plus1 1

This made me laugh, given our discussion here. It's from an ESPN article on UCF's new coaches figuring out what they should and shouldn't change from what Frost did.

The best example, at least in the early going, is with workouts and food. Heupel decided to revamp the strength and conditioning program, and that, in turn, has changed the way his players eat.

UCF now has one in-house company that provides all their meals, and those meals are based on recommendations from the strength and conditioning staff.

"They've seen the quality of the food, and how that transitions into how they feel every single day, how their bodies are changing, and ultimately that leads to better performance," Heupel said.

In the weight room, Heupel decided to add more strength and conditioning coaches. Players now work out with their position groups and do position-specific exercises.

My assumption with the last sentence is that they couldn't afford more S&C coaches before this year, given that we know Duval is having them do position-specific exercises here.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22774559/ucf-knights-begin-new-football-era-undefeated-season

Edited by Moiraine
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This made me laugh, given our discussion here. It's from an ESPN article on UCF's new coaches figuring out what they should and shouldn't change from what Frost did.

My assumption with the last sentence is that they couldn't afford more S&C coaches before this year, given that we know Duval is having them do position-specific exercises here.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22774559/ucf-knights-begin-new-football-era-undefeated-season

I feel like i'm taking crazy pills after reading your quoted part (didn't flow to this post)... like, didnt the team just go undefeated, and the previous S&C head guy got some national recognition, and nutrition was a big part of what the previous staff did?   "Their bodies are changing" ...  from undefeated form, to what, exactly?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's a classic example of very poor communication.  The story coming out should be....."Wow...Frost and Duval did a great job with these guys.  They is obviously very good.  We have brought a team of coaches in that can maintain their gains and build on them."

In the article they said some good stuff. This was just one thing I picked out that the new guys "changed." It was just a hilarious thing to change, imo.

Edited by Moiraine

I took it as the new staff was going to have a hard time getting buy in so they changed the food provider to someone that "taste" really good so that the players would get an instant jolt of these guys are "just as good" or even better.  Guessing with the success last year the budget went up a little and the easiest quickest way to see an impact was to bring in some good expensive beef from Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

I took it as the new staff was going to have a hard time getting buy in so they changed the food provider to someone that "taste" really good so that the players would get an instant jolt of these guys are "just as good" or even better.  Guessing with the success last year the budget went up a little and the easiest quickest way to see an impact was to bring in some good expensive beef from Nebraska.

^ The bolded was my impression with the S&C stuff, since it's exactly what Frost is doing at Nebraska now.

Edited by Moiraine

@GBRFAN Speaking of budgets...

An undefeated football season was worth more than $200 million to the University of Central Florida in equivalent advertising exposure. So says a report commissioned by the university, which the school released Friday.

The school worked in conjunction with media evaluation firm Joyce Julius & Associates to come up with the value of running the table.

LINK

• Plus1 1