Duval's conditioning starts Monday. UCF players share.

1 hour ago, Mike Mcdee said:

You are right. David Goggins, former Navy SEAL talks about how the mind is a weak instrument and that the body is capable of much more than the mind believes.

“He would say that when your mind is telling you you’re done, you’re really only 40 percent done. And he had a motto: If it doesn’t suck we don’t do it. And that was his way of forcing us to get uncomfortable to figure out what our baseline was and what our comfort level was and just turning it upside-down.”

Guys I think you’re misunderstanding his quote. I think he is agreeing with the Navy Seal guy...

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I read it as that's exactly what he's saying.  Maybe it's not worded exactly right.  But I thought he was saying the same thing from the other point of view.

If you let your mind listen to your body and quit when you think you can't do any more, you're shorting yourself.  You have to make your mind tell your body to keep going.

Yup. This.

38 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I read it as that's exactly what he's saying.  Maybe it's not worded exactly right.  But I thought he was saying the same thing from the other point of view.

If you let your mind listen to your body and quit when you think you can't do any more, you're shorting yourself.  You have to make your mind tell your body to keep going.

That's how I took it, too.

6 hours ago, theknife said:

Great interview! Off topic, but in the example of Chris Walker, are they saying he switched to d-line or was that just a hypothetical? 

Here is the article in full:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/husker-strength-coach-duval-talks-combining-science-and-art-of/article_86336a7b-92a5-59b3-be35-1f93c10aa711.html

That conversation was in response to a question about Lincoln East graduate and NU redshirt freshman Chris Walker (6-foot-8, 275 pounds), who is reportedly moving from offensive line to defensive line. The metrics can help with such decisions before position coaches and head coach Scott Frost make a final decision with the player.

“He cannot hold the mass you’re talking about on the O-line unless we start giving him massive amounts of fat allowance. Fat doesn’t speed you up and it’s harder to slow down, right? It’s not an engine, it’s just adding mass to the car, which your engine has to work harder to move,” Duval said. “That’s Chris in a nutshell.”

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, lo country said:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/husker-strength-coach-duval-talks-combining-science-and-art-of/article_86336a7b-92a5-59b3-be35-1f93c10aa711.html

That conversation was in response to a question about Lincoln East graduate and NU redshirt freshman Chris Walker (6-foot-8, 275 pounds), who is reportedly moving from offensive line to defensive line. The metrics can help with such decisions before position coaches and head coach Scott Frost make a final decision with the player.

“He cannot hold the mass you’re talking about on the O-line unless we start giving him massive amounts of fat allowance. Fat doesn’t speed you up and it’s harder to slow down, right? It’s not an engine, it’s just adding mass to the car, which your engine has to work harder to move,” Duval said. “That’s Chris in a nutshell.”

I like this. Not only being more scientific in terms of evaluation but shows the body composition of the players going-forward. You need guys carrying good, productive weight if they are to go fast and full-bore for a 100-play game. 

Edited by Danimal
43 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I like this. Not only being more scientific in terms of evaluation but shows the body composition of the players going-forward. You need guys carrying good, productive weight if they are to go fast and full-bore for a 100-play game. 

Great example of why some guys in previous regimes bulked up, but seemed to slow up. Never really thought of the max "muscle potential vs body weight" concept.  Guys can get bigger, but as Duval said, it's fat weight which is slow to start and slow to stop.  IMHO, explains how we have "big" OL, but they seemed to get pushed around so much.  

8 hours ago, lo country said:

This is the kind of thing that will get players to buy in faster than normal. Being able to explain things in an easy to understand way that makes sense to them with solid reasoning.

• Plus1 5