Tangent Thread - Paying Players Edition

5 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Integrity is unfortunate. 

Hmm. 

What if a kid comes in. Doesnt work out hard, slacks off in general. Should he be granted 4 free years of college because he showed potential in high school? 

Academic scholarships get pulled if you dont hold the grades. If a student athlete doesnt hold up their end of the bargain why should they be treated special.

Edited by Huskers93-97
  • Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

What if a kid comes in. Doesnt work out hard, slacks off in general. Should he be granted 4 free years of college because he showed potential in high school? 

It's a real conundrum that can be abused by both sides.  There has to be a middle ground on rules that allows the school to cut players like this and also allow the player some form of protection from an unscrupulous program.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's a real conundrum that can be abused by both sides.  There has to be a middle ground on rules that allows the school to cut players like this and also allow the player some form of protection from an unscrupulous program.

I agree with this.  These are amateur athletes that get treated like they are professionals.  Kids should not be completely protected, but if they are doing their best and just not cutting it, then the that is on the coach for misevaluating the athlete.  If they are putting forth no effort to get better and a problem with the team then you should be able to cut them loose.  

Players should be released from LOI when the head coach gets fired.  They should look at granting transfers for programs that change philosophies with a new head coach and not having to sit a year.   

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I agree with this.  These are amateur athletes that get treated like they are professionals.  Kids should not be completely protected, but if they are doing their best and just not cutting it, then the that is on the coach for misevaluating the athlete.  If they are putting forth no effort to get better and a problem with the team then you should be able to cut them loose.  

Players should be released from LOI when the head coach gets fired.  They should look at granting transfers for programs that change philosophies with a new head coach and not having to sit a year.   

I would not be opposed the schools being required to move these players to a scholarship that doesn't count towards the 85 limit.  The school then is required to allow them to use the athletic academic assistance and remain in school as long as they maintain a certain GPA and are showing a certain level of progress towards their degree.  The player then would not be eligible to participate at that school in athletics.  If they choose to transfer in the future to another school, they would be eligible to participate in athletics.

25 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

You would hope that player evaluations would take care of most of these individuals.

But its not a perfect world. The NFL drafts players who dont pan out, businesses hire people who sell themselves but dont pan out. If you get cut at the NFL level or fired from your job it doesnt mean they lack integrity. 

I know there is many different view points on this and I respect them all. Its just my opinion that if a kid turns out to not be a contributor what is the harm of saying ok you got 2 or 3 years of free college. You will have to pay for the 4th. Paying for 1 or 2 years is better than paying for all 4 or 5. 2 years of free college is like 50-60k of debt that kid wont have after college and all based on the fact the college thought he might contribute some day. Thats a pretty sweet deal. 

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

But its not a perfect world. The NFL drafts players who dont pan out, businesses hire people who sell themselves but dont pan out. If you get cut at the NFL level or fired from your job it doesnt mean they lack integrity. 

I know there is many different view points on this and I respect them all. Its just my opinion that if a kid turns out to not be a contributor what is the harm of saying ok you got 2 or 3 years of free college. You will have to pay for the 4th. Paying for 1 or 2 years is better than paying for all 4 or 5. 2 years of free college is like 50-60k of debt that kid wont have after college and all based on the fact the college thought he might contribute some day. Thats a pretty sweet deal. 

The problem comes when a top program over signs a bunch of players to keep them off of other program's rosters and then cuts them less than a year later......some don't even make it to campus.

It some situations, it's clear the program didn't have much of an intention to give the kid a chance.  Meanwhile, the player could be at a different program, getting an education and on the team.

Edited by BigRedBuster
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Academic scholarships get pulled if you dont hold the grades. If a student athlete doesnt hold up their end of the bargain why should they be treated special.

If a kid doesn’t come in work, per this scenario, he won’t last long. Running/early workouts will weed that player out. If he doesn’t show or put forth effort can be kicked off team for violation of team rules.

3 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

Integrity is unfortunate. 

Hmm. 

Give me a break. Those scholarships are worth a lot of money, so if the kid doesn't hold up his end to some extent, I have no problem with a coaching staff showing them the door. 

These kids want their experience to be treated like a business. They want to be paid, they want to be able to leave a school anytime they want and go to another school with immediate eligibility.... And I'm fine with them getting those benefits, but they should expect to be accountable for their end of the bargain, just like any other business.

• Plus1 1

University should be able to pull any sporting scholarship with the stipulation that the university will give them a full ride as a "non" athletic scholarship.  If the kid wants to play then he can go elsewhere if he wants a free education then he can stop playing sports.  This would benefit universities that have a bigger budget and are more profitable - but that is no different in the business world.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

University should be able to pull any sporting scholarship with the stipulation that the university will give them a full ride as a "non" athletic scholarship.  If the kid wants to play then he can go elsewhere if he wants a free education then he can stop playing sports.  This would benefit universities that have a bigger budget and are more profitable - but that is no different in the business world.

Relieve them of their duties, and continue to "pay" them? Don't tell my employees that's a normal business practice.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Now, THAT is a normal business practice (for better or worse).

I dont understand where the idea of a free education is not good enough anymore? #1 you dont have like 100k in debt when you leave college- you have a degree so your earning potential in your career is exponentially higher- especially in the case some of the kids would not go to college because they could not afford it without their athletic ability. Lastly it gives some of these kids a platform at a premier program to better their chance of going to the NFL and making millions. It is lost on me how these kids "are getting screwed" 

• Plus1 1