Tangent Thread - Paying Players Edition

27 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I dont understand where the idea of a free education is not good enough anymore? #1 you dont have like 100k in debt when you leave college- you have a degree so your earning potential in your career is exponentially higher- especially in the case some of the kids would not go to college because they could not afford it without their athletic ability. Lastly it gives some of these kids a platform at a premier program to better their chance of going to the NFL and making millions. It is lost on me how these kids "are getting screwed" 

If you pay the football team, you will more than likely have to pay the water polo squad. 

Also, if you pay them, make them pay for their education. 

20 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I dont understand where the idea of a free education is not good enough anymore? #1 you dont have like 100k in debt when you leave college- you have a degree so your earning potential in your career is exponentially higher- especially in the case some of the kids would not go to college because they could not afford it without their athletic ability. Lastly it gives some of these kids a platform at a premier program to better their chance of going to the NFL and making millions. It is lost on me how these kids "are getting screwed" 

They don't go to play school

• Plus1 1

So espn should have to pay all the 7 year olds because they gain viewership and commercial time when they air the little league World Series? 

Where do you suppose all the $$$ would come from to pay all the student athletes on campus above what they are already paid in free tuition and gear, food etc? Housing

Isnt nebraska 1 of like a handful of universities that operate in the black? 

Edited by Huskers93-97

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Also if you paid athletes that would make them a professional, so they would need agents and the NCAA would probably lose control over them being required to stay 3 years and kids would go pro whenever they want bipassing college making college football meaningless 

Not saying I am for or against this issue, but the bolded is an NFL rule not an NCAA one.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So espn should have to pay all the 7 year olds because they gain viewership and commercial time when they air the little league World Series? 

Where do you suppose all the $$$ would come from to pay all the student athletes on campus above what they are already paid in free tuition and gear, food etc? 

Isnt nebraska 1 of like a handful of universities that operate in the black? 

If the little league was making millions of dollars from the kids likeness, then yeah, they should at least see some of that. 

I don't see a problem in at least letting players make money on the free market. If somebody wants to pay you for an autograph, your jersey, or your time, what's unethical about that? And yeah, the average role player gets a good deal with free school, but the best players get undeniably screwed while they're in college. If a student on an english scholarship writes the next Harry Potter does the school deserve all of the profits? 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Scott Tenorman said:

If the little league was making millions of dollars from the kids likeness, then yeah, they should at least see some of that. 

I don't see a problem in at least letting players make money on the free market. If somebody wants to pay you for an autograph, your jersey, or your time, what's unethical about that? And yeah, the average role player gets a good deal with free school, but the best players get undeniably screwed while they're in college. If a student on an english scholarship writes the next Harry Potter does the school deserve all of the profits? 

I respect what your saying, but I think college football is more about fan loyalty to the schools and that's what makes it great. Year to year the kids change but popularity does not. The NFL thrives more on star players and name players 

point being the platform is what makes college football great not 1 player. 

On 1/18/2018 at 8:47 PM, B.B. Hemingway said:

Relieve them of their duties, and continue to "pay" them? Don't tell my employees that's a normal business practice.

I hope you aren't hiring 18 year old kids and offering them a four year deal.  If so hope you have a good lawyer.