Help choosing a college...UNL or CSU?

1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Thanks for that insight.I hadn't considered that but I can see where you would be a little more secluded in one of the suites. I'll mention it to her so she can think about it.

She is living now in one as a sophomore and it's great because she has her friends.  These are basically like living in an apartment building.  Think about how much you knew your neighbors then.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, that is a normal comment for any college kid, especially a girl.  Those Saturdays are going to be more of a social event, rather than sitting in the stadium for the actual game.  She will probably be at a tailgate party or other event with the game on, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Showing up hours before the game just to sit in the student section kind of sounds like a pain in the ass, and I'm a huge Husker football game.  This isn't like when you and I were at NU where the students had assigned seats or blocks of seats.

Careful .... some of us girls enjoy and understand the sport.  :-)  (as well as the social)

• 4 weeks later...

Completed our campus visit Red Letter day today. 99% sure she is going to become an official Husker. Long day.....but a really first class experience. Got a lot of questions answered and got to see a lot of stuff. Of course the highlight for me was the Memorial stadium tour at the end of the day. Checked out the trophy room, Suh weight room, the new indoor practice facility, made the tunnel walk and got to go out on the field. Those wrap around screens on the north pillars are really nice now for people in the north end zone. Wish the weather would’ve been a little nicer (cold, rainy and windy) but Nebraska.....Good day but pretty wiped out. 

Sort of sad seeing the big hole where Cather Pound was but the new suite style housing is nice. Had a nice lunch at Cather dining hall. And that new Hawks business building is unbelievable. Really nice.

Edited by Comfortably Numb

• 2 months later...

Well the cash hemorrhage to UNL has started so I guess it's official. She found a roommate (a girl from Omaha) via some online Facebook group or something a few weeks ago and they finally got to pick their room yesterday. She'll be in Schramm. Bought her football and volleyball tickets today and going for new student orientation next Wednesday. One more day of school left and graduation is Saturday.

I've got to brag just a little bit. She thinks it's possible she may move ahead of the other girl for first in her class with a 4.489 GPA. She is lamenting the first semester of AP Chemistry that kept her from having a 4.51. Crazy thing is, it was only her and that other girl in that class and they took it self study without an actual class period. They'd just go meet with the teacher every once in awhile (while taking 4 other AP classes). I could've never done that with a good result.  Hope she can keep it up for 3 or 4 more years.

• Plus1 6
5 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I've got to brag just a little bit. She thinks it's possible she may move ahead of the other girl for first in her class with a 4.489 GPA. She is lamenting the first semester of AP Chemistry that kept her from having a 4.51. Crazy thing is, it was only her and that other girl in that class and they took it self study without an actual class period. They'd just go meet with the teacher every once in awhile (while taking 4 other AP classes). I could've never done that with a good result.  Hope she can keep it up for 3 or 4 more years.

Congrats!  Sounds like she'll fit right in with the actuarial program in Lincoln.

58 minutes ago, Enhance said:

They left the CPN dining hall open? I thought they were going to torch that as well. 

I don't think CPN dining hall is open. Wasn't that the low building between Cather and Pound?  We had lunch at the Willa Cather dining complex on the east side of what used to be 17th. It seemed to be brand new.

I'm pretty sure the original CPN dining hall is gone. That whole area was bare. But, on their map, they show a CPN food service building at that location. We walked right past there and I don't recall seeing any building there. Maybe it's slated for future construction on the old CP site?

42 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I don't think CPN dining hall is open. Wasn't that the low building between Cather and Pound?  We had lunch at the Willa Cather dining complex on the east side of what used to be 17th. It seemed to be brand new.

I'm pretty sure the original CPN dining hall is gone. That whole area was bare. But, on their map, they show a CPN food service building at that location. We walked right past there and I don't recall seeing any building there. Maybe it's slated for future construction on the old CP site?

That makes more sense because you're correct - the old CPN dining hall was in the breezeway between all three buildings.

Perhaps it's been there (or was a recent addition) after they added those new student apartments on the east side of 17th street because I don't think that dining hall was there 10 years ago.

• 2 months later...

Well time has flown by ...moving her into Schramm Hall next week. I'm not sure what happened to sorority rush. She was planning on doing it but missed some deadline so couldn't but she wasn't too upset. I don't think she was really that interested in it. Excited to get her to Lincoln...so she can start tracking down tickets to that CU game for me :lol: 

I suppose the separation anxiety will hit me when it comes to leaving her there :(

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Well time has flown by ...moving her into Schramm Hall next week. I'm not sure what happened to sorority rush. She was planning on doing it but missed some deadline so couldn't but she wasn't too upset. I don't think she was really that interested in it. Excited to get her to Lincoln...so she can start tracking down tickets to that CU game for me :lol: 

I suppose the separation anxiety will hit me when it comes to leaving her there :(

It is weird how Greek life is totally different for girls and guys.  The girls stuff is so strict and formal!

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

It is weird how Greek life is totally different for girls and guys.  The girls stuff is so strict and formal!

Yeah. They have to go a week early and specific events are scheduled... we'd just have keggers anywhere we wanted over the summer and maybe some early in the school year. I had no idea sororities were so different until we started learning exactly what was required.