Biggest movies you've never seen

There are some movies that for whatever reason I missed growing up and haven't gotten around to seeing yet.

Here are some of mine:

E.T.

Mulan

Lethal Weapon series
Blade series
The Godfather series

Steel Magnolias
Sixteen Candles
All Star Trek movies and TV except for the new ones with Chris Pine

Old movies:
Gone With the Wind
To Kill a Mockingbird

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2

• Jurassic Park(s)
  • Harry Potter(s)
  • Lord of the Ring(s)
  • Star War(s) after the first one in the 80's
  • Hunger Game(s)
  • Marvel(s)

Honestly I just don't like big, loud, hyped up movies, or sci-fi, or cheesy books.  More of an Indie gal.

Moiraine its a sin that you haven't seen the Godfathers.  A sin.  16 Candles?  You must be younger than I cuz Jake is the MAN!

• Plus1 1

I don't really count anything after 2000, and that includes super hero movies. There are like a billion of them now. If I were to ever try to catch up I'd have to start with the ones that came out after Spider-Man 3. It's not that I don't like them, there are just too many.

I have also not seen The Exorcist or any of Rocky except Rocky IV.

NM - I think I'm a little younger than you but I've seen Breakfast Club at least 5 times and Mermaids (which has the Sixteen Candles guy). It's possible it was played a lot more on TV than Sixteen Candles was.

knapp - One Flew definitely earns its rep. Saw it for the first time about 5 years ago and it's withstood the test of time, too.

Edited by Moiraine

I only saw the R-rated version of Breakfast Club once. Same with 16 Candles.  Can't even remember 16 Candles.

@Making Chimichangas I haven't seen the Blade Runner sequel, but I will.  I just need an afternoon/evening to watch the whole thing.  That kinda time is a premium right now. Haven't seen Valerian, either.  Don't expect much, so maybe I won't be disappointed.

@Redux - Avatar is OK. You'll like it, just don't go into it thinking it's some life-changing event. It's a good popcorn flick.  The rest is hype.  Alien is good, but a little dated today.   Aliens is way better, and there's a Nebraska shout-out.  Definitely watch it, but watch Alien first for context.  Goonies is really good, and you should watch it.  But put yourself in the mindset of 1980s movies before you do.  Watch Top Gun or Purple Rain first.  Then watch Goonies.  It translates better.

@whateveritis1224 So many good shows on your list! Definitely watch Godfather I & II.  Definitely watch Rocky Horror and the first Smokey & the Bandit movie.  Godfather doesn't need any intro, just watch it. It's timeless.  Rocky Horror is the same, but you have to be in a campy, weird mood.  Smokey & the Bandit is a period piece set in the late 1970s, and if you're not familiar with that time it may be hard to put yourself there and "get" it.  But it's fun & stupid & good if you can suspend belief enough to get into it. Maybe watch a couple of original Dukes of Hazzard episodes first or something. 

@NM11046  Boy, I wish I could watch Jurassic Park for the first time again, in that time. When that movie was released it was epic.  A HUGE step forward in graphics, and a decent & believable story.  I think you should watch it, but beware that it won't have the same impact today because CGI has advanced so much beyond it.  I really recommend the next two Star Wars movies, Empire & Return of the Jedi.  Empire is the best, most serious movie of the entire series, best plot, best acting, best dialogue, everything.  Really hope you watch those all someday. I could write 5,000 words on why you shouldn't watch the LoTR movies, and just read the books again. SO MANY problems with those movies. But they're the best versions we're likely to see in our lifetimes of those fantastic books, and flawed as they are, they have some great parts.  Light recommendation there.  I really like the Harry Potter movies. They're charming and great and even if you've read and love the books, the movies do stand up well on their own merit.  I like them at Christmas-time, because of the music & winter setting.  Such good shows. 

Anyone who hasn't seen the Godfather movies... you need to see I and II.  They are just amazing, great movies.  Anything after that gets iffy, but those two movies are incredible, and II may be better than I. 

If there's any movie(s) I would urge anyone in this thread to see first, of all the great movies, it's the first two Godfather movies. They stand up over time and they are great.  So worth your time.

Well apparently I watch too many damn movies. Following Knapp's lead I started in the 70's and I've seen every single one through the 2010's. So went back into the 60s (when I was born) and found 4 that I'm pretty sure I've never seen.

My Fair Lady

Funny Girl

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Valley of the Dolls

It starts to be more than I want to list going back further but I will say I've seen a good number of those listed back into the late 30's. I really like some of those old movies; Bridge on the River Kwai, all the Hitchcock movies, Bogey and Bacall.....

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

I've never seen Bambi.

This site lists the top box office movies by decade

Beginning in the 1970s (when I was born), I haven't seen these movies:

Steel Magnolias

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Exorcist
Finding Dory
The Hunger Games: The last two movies
Wonder Woman (2017)
The Secret Life of Pets

Steel Mag's is a chick flick- and it's maybe good for a replenishing cry. But (IMO) a much better movie along the same theme, is Terms of Endearment.  Rewatched a while back and still very good.  Fabulous acting