RB Maurice Washington [Nebraska-Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

73 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Washington Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/2018 at 08:30 PM

Weren't his grades reaaally bad before, and he did a lot of work to get them to where they are now? Probably more to it than I know but if that's really the case then him and Frost probably knew that he may have to go this route anyways, which would at least make me believe he wants to be here if he worked that hard to at least get to this point instead of going juco

Moved back to California for the spring semester but the Husker staff is still expecting him in August.  Is on track to graduate but won't have enough core classes to qualify.  They are planning to apply for a waiver for an academic redshirt year.

He would count against the 85 scholarship limit but not lose any eligibility.  He can attend classes and practice but wouldn't be eligible.  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Moved back to California for the spring semester but the Husker staff is still expecting him in August.  Is on track to graduate but won't have enough core classes to qualify.  They are planning to apply for a waiver for an academic redshirt year.

He would count against the 85 scholarship limit but not lose any eligibility.  He can attend classes and practice but wouldn't be eligible.  

Well that’s a poopy situation 

• Plus1 1

Mechanically it is the same as we used to do with non-qualifiers (before Texas helped vote it out), but this is a far different era. Players, especially positions like running back, are expecting to play early, and often expect to leave early. Losing a kid that could play early, especially when you need them to play early, is a big blow. A guy like that in the first season helps sell the system for recruits in year 2. I highly doubt Wilbon and Ozigbo can do that. I just don't have much faith in these guys.

There is no point whining, we can't do anything about it, but it is sour news for the next season and for Washington himself.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, brophog said:

Mechanically it is the same as we used to do with non-qualifiers (before Texas helped vote it out), but this is a far different era. Players, especially positions like running back, are expecting to play early, and often expect to leave early. Losing a kid that could play early, especially when you need them to play early, is a big blow. A guy like that in the first season helps sell the system for recruits in year 2. I highly doubt Wilbon and Ozigbo can do that. I just don't have much faith in these guys.

There is no point whining, we can't do anything about it, but it is sour news for the next season and for Washington himself.

But the point is one of the big reasons we were able to get him in the first place is we were willing to take a chance on an academic risk that other schools weren't willing to take.  We knew this was a strong possibility when we took him.  If it doesn't work out, we're not out much.  If it does work out, it'll be a great steal and may even benefit recruiting that way - showing that we're willing to help kids get their academic in order to play here.

• Plus1 6
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

But the point is one of the big reasons we were able to get him in the first place is we were willing to take a chance on an academic risk that other schools weren't willing to take.  We knew this was a strong possibility when we took him.  If it doesn't work out, we're not out much.  If it does work out, it'll be a great steal and may even benefit recruiting that way - showing that we're willing to help kids get their academic in order to play here.

Mavric, not trying to push buttons, but didn’t you have quite different feelings when this was happening with Riley recruits?

I am all for these situations by the way. We need to find an edge somewhere. Hopefully it pans out for us. If not, I’m not going to throw mud at Frost for trying, but it seemed like a lot of folks did at Riley.

• Plus1 4
7 hours ago, brophog said:

Him not qualifying would be devastating. We have a stable, but I wouldn't call most of them even decent to what we want. Bell wasn't amazing at the spring game, but he was what was expected....a vast improvement....and I maintain he's the low end of what we need.

Well Miles Jones will be here and he and Spielman will get plenty of carries - neither were in the spring game. I'm not saying he wouldn't help this offense - I think he'll be a star - but to crown him the savior of the offense and say this team is doomed without him is pretty over the top IMO.

7 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Kids with his kind of talent don't like waiting. I don't want to see a scenario where he asks for a release to go to a school that will allow him to play right away. 

6 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I dont think he has a choice if his grades are not in line. If he cant play here where could he play? If he isnt academic eligible that would be the case at every school right? 

This kid seems to have his head on straight- if his grades are not up to snuff I think he knows thats on him to get right. 

I dont see that this kid is anything like Blades.

Right. This would be an NCAA thing so if he doesn't want to sit a year his only option would be JUCO.

26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not sure how big that reason was, certainly not claiming it wasn't a factor, but it seems his likelihood of not qualifying has grown consistently and substantially since he committed. We knew there was some academic issues to get straightened out, now we must wonder if he ever plays a down here. Everyone has to keep in mind, this academic redshirt is not a sure thing, this is a serious setback, and puts him behind the curve. I'm sure there are many details here that we don't know, considering every update has gotten worse.

It's a hard sell to suggest this helps, rather than hurts, recruiting. Everyone has support staffs and creative ways of getting (and keeping)  kids qualified. Meanwhile, ESPN doesn't have nightly highlight shows featuring pencils and protractors. They do have shows featuring 96 yard TD runs. On repeat. None of which feature Devine Ozigbo.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, brophog said:

I'm not sure how big that reason was, certainly not claiming it wasn't a factor, but it seems his likelihood of not qualifying has grown consistently and substantially since he committed. We knew there was some academic issues to get straightened out, now we must wonder if he ever plays a down here. Everyone has to keep in mind, this academic redshirt is not a sure thing, this is a serious setback, and puts him behind the curve. I'm sure there are many details here that we don't know, considering every update has gotten worse.

It's a hard sell to suggest this helps, rather than hurts, recruiting. Everyone has support staffs and creative ways of getting (and keeping)  kids qualified. Meanwhile, ESPN doesn't have nightly highlight shows featuring pencils and protractors. They do have shows featuring 96 yard TD runs. On repeat. None of which feature Devine Ozigbo.

I don't know about the bolded. The staff pushed back his visit in order to check on his academics because they were limited on official visits left at the time and it was well known he was not in good academic standing.

I don't think it got worse, but he obviously didn't do enough to qualify yet.  Still worth the risk with his talent.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Washington was the third-highest rated kid in the class who lit it up at an all-star game.  He also plays a position where we have decent depth, brought in a JUCO at his position in the same class and also recruited another high school kid who is a RB/WR hybrid.  

We have bodies at the position, we don't have depth. Maybe someone can convince me guys like Wilbon and Ozigbo are good enough, but through their career and through this spring they haven't shown it to me. Way, way too many times I see them get 5 or 10 when a better back gets 20. Those two have a combined 9 carries of 20 or more yards in their careers....Johnathan Taylor had 16 last year. Our backs are nowhere near good enough. This offense will generate more big plays than Riley's, but you got to have the guys to do it. Not a coincidence that this was a major point of frustration for Held this spring.

The silver lining here is the real depth is at the hybrid RB/WR position and Miles Jones is the stud we kinda forget about. This may open up some time for him to be on the field with guys like Lyndsey or Woodyard. This staff will find a way to get production, but we are kidding ourselves if we think this wasn't a major blow.

• Plus1 2