RB Maurice Washington [Nebraska-Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

73 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Washington Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/2018 at 08:30 PM

37 minutes ago, brophog said:

I can understand where the NCAA is coming from, but using an average is what creates some of theses issues, and using grades for just about anything in education is doing things backwards. We learn by failure, but we grade on success. Doesn't make much sense. But that's a rant for a different board.

+1,000,000

2 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Completely agree, except I think Bradley is also worth a mention.

Thank you.  I thought there should be more but I completely forgot about him.  I really like him but he's probably another year away from really making a difference.  Good depth though.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Not remembering Watts? Same class as Daniels, from TX. Mapieau was obviously a mistake.

Yeah, I guess I didn't really remember him.  Go ahead and point out where I spoke decisively one way or the other on that one.

If you going to try to trip me up like this, try having an actual example or two.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, brophog said:

Of those 9 mentioned carries, Wilbon has only 3, though obviously he hasn't had that many carries. Still, that's as many as Bryant has in 2 games. Bryant's career high, a meager 35, is also higher than Wilbon's. UCF had a lot of backs not named Killans or Anderson, and they stopped getting time because they weren't cutting it. Taj McGowan had 69 rushes, none in the final 3 games. Long run of 29. Cordarrian Richardson, 45 carries, long of 18. That's their Ozigbo and Wilbon. Also not household names. The offense creates opportunity, the back makes the plays.

Yes, Wilbon had about as many on the year as Bryant.  But Bryant got a ton of work in those two games - none against B1G opponents - while Wilbon got a few here and there throughout the season.  Like I said - scheme and opportunity.  Not saying Wilbon is as good as Bryant but you've said nothing to show how lack of opportunity isn't a big factor.

21 minutes ago, brophog said:

By depth you mean Bell, a guy who may never play again, and a guy I feel just can't play. It's no wonder we disagree. I'm hoping Bradley surprises me, because I don't know that I would say we had legitimate depth with Washington.

No, I mean Bryant.  And I said I wasn't sold that he'd actually be able to do much.  Or did you just type that the guy who is our likely starter can't play?  I think you need to step back, take a breath and read to understand, not just read to respond.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I guess I didn't really remember him.  Go ahead and point out where I spoke decisively one way or the other on that one.

If you going to try to trip me up like this, try having an actual example or two.

Fair enough. Like I originally stated, I wasn’t trying to trip you up. I agree with you on your stance.

It probably wasn’t fair of me, because it was probably more of a majority of the posters that were bashing Riley for those recruiting misses, and I probably just lumped you in because you were generally against the previous regime.

Sorry.

• Plus1 2

I wanted this kid to redshirt anyway, we have a ton of depth this year (Jr. Greg Bell, Jr. Tre Bryant, Sr. Mikale Wilbon, Sr. Devine Ozigbo, So. Jaylin Bradley) and next (Sr. Greg Bell, Sr. Tre Bryant, Jr. Jaylin Bradley, and RFr. Maurice Washington) but after that it's just Sr. Jaylin Bradley and So. Maurice Washington and our two current 2019 commits who will probably both be redshirt freshmen. This way when Bradley leaves Washington will have two years of his own to lead our team.

7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The Prop 48 rule sounds like a good comparison. Is he allowed any contact with the team while he's under academic redshirt? 

Someone mentioned earlier he can practice with the team and everything. He just cant play in the games. So I think it sounds like a good deal.

Some on here are moaning and groaning that he wont be eligible this year and acting like we wasted a spot on him. Next year when he is eligible and tearing it up on the field I want those complaining now to look back at this thread. Because I am pretty sure their tune will change when he starts contributing. Have a little patience. It is an investment that will pay off. Maybe not as soon as you want.

12 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Mavric, not trying to push buttons, but didn’t you have quite different feelings when this was happening with Riley recruits?

I am all for these situations by the way. We need to find an edge somewhere. Hopefully it pans out for us. If not, I’m not going to throw mud at Frost for trying, but it seemed like a lot of folks did at Riley.

10 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Watts? Blades, even the kid that played DT with Snodgrass this year would qualify under the same context, right? Watts was a 4 Star. Blades was our top recruit in the past 5 years rating wise...

There is a difference over signing by 3 spots on your available scholarship limit and taking a shot on an academic risk while having two other recruits at the position (JUCO Bell and Miles Jones) and undersigning by 3+ spots and having your only recruit for the position (CB Blades) be an academic risk.  Watts wasn't as bad of a situation because they had D. Thomas and Daniels in the class, so they weren't putting all of their DT eggs in one academic risk basket.

• Plus1 8

4 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

There is a difference over signing by 3 spots on your available scholarship limit and taking a shot on an academic risk while having two other recruits at the position (JUCO Bell and Miles Jones) and undersigning by 3+ spots and having your only recruit for the position (CB Blades) be an academic risk.  Watts wasn't as bad of a situation because they had D. Thomas and Daniels in the class, so they weren't putting all of their DT eggs in one academic risk basket.

This is a good explanation. We are going to have to take risks like this, but we need to take them the correct way (Watts/Washington). 

• Plus1 1

I dream of the day where we have good enough results on the field and the coaches are good enough recruiters that our best players aren't academic risks and ending up at JUCOs.  I know every program will have one every once in a while.  But, wouldn't it be nice to be able to pick up a talent like Washington AND know a long time ago that he will be here in the summer?

• Plus1 2