RB Maurice Washington [Nebraska-Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

73 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Washington Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/2018 at 08:30 PM

I am with you @StPaulHusker. I just don't see how he stays. He is a tremendous talent and I want him on our team, but I can't see it. He is very troubled, and we all know the main reason, but to be expelled so close to graduation is very short sighted and selfish by him. I wouldn't be surprised if he is talking to other teams to see if he could go there. In addition, I would be afraid for Maurice to go JUCO, for his career and life.   

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Admitedly late to the convo - what are the main reasons he is so troubled?

On 1/24/2018 at 1:45 PM, Mavric said:

Word is in California his Junior year he was ruled ineligible because his school transfer was deemed to be for "athletic reasons" so he got frustrated and behind on his school work.  Then he moved to Texas and had catching-up to do but got his classes caught up and has very good grades and a qualifying SAT score so he's good to go now.

His coach played with Fisher and Walters in the NFL so he got the Huskers interested.  Washington is also interested in UCLA but he hasn't taken an OV there because he's more familiar with them from living in California.  NU, ASU, tOSU and UCLA are the four he's looking at.

Announcing on NSD on ESPN.

Not sure what happened in the latest round of issues but it sounds like he got booted from his school so he went back to California for this semester.

• Plus1 2

18 hours ago, teachercd said:

This is why I want to start an online "HS" for core class completion.  With a HUGE emphasis on certain students.

Get me a business proposal and if it will be able to work with kids in all states. I wouldn't mind being in on ground floor for this with money. I really don't want to do the work, but would be willing to invest if things add up!! Seems like there should already be something like this in place if it's not illegal.

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don't know what the rules are if you're academically ineligible if you can still practice.

I'm saying he won't be on the roster

If he gets the waiver, it's a forced redshirt. He'd be the same as every other redshirt, just with absolutely no chance of playing.

15 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Admitedly late to the convo - what are the main reasons he is so troubled?

@NM11046 I've attached a link to a really good article Chris Heady from the OWH wrote about Washington and his past.  It may be behind a paywall so an alternate way to get some more info would be to check out Severe's "The Bottom Line" podcast where he discusses it quite a bit.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/recruiting/maurice-washington-spent-years-struggling-to-honor-his-late-father/article_794069fc-8cb0-545f-912c-aab7d7c3cb04.html

In a nutshell, Washington lost his father at age 9 to cancer and he's really struggled with life when he wasn't playing football.  He's bounced around to several different HSs trying to get himself sorted out.  

On one hand I think that if Nebraska can just get him on campus he'll be ok because let's be honest...Nebraska is football crazy and the structure that a big time D1 program provides both academically and athletically might be exactly what he needs.  On the other hand I could see a school like Fresno St or maybe San Diego St swooping in at the last minute and being able to play the proximity card/play early card.  If San Diego St were closer to Sunnyvale (it's about 500 miles away) I'd have some cause for concern because SDSU has put some stud RBs in the NFL since Rocky Long took over (Ronnie Hillman, Donnell Pumphrey and Rashad Penney).  I have absolutely zero basis for my comments on SDSU, it's based on purely speculation and this kid's expressed desire to play early and get to the NFL.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

247 guys no longer seem so confident, not giving any reason why, other than the known info and fact that they were told different by his HS coaches... quite odd.

Schaefer expanded a bit on the radio this morning. Apparently the school he is now enrolled in is an online school so he has no support structure in place currently to help him ensure he finishes the requisite courses. The NU coaches do try to keep in touch, but apparently Washington has a habit of going off the grid sometimes. Not that the kid doesn’t want to come to NU, just seems he may not have the sense of purpose needed to get to NU. 

——edit—-

It doesn’t look they have put up a podcast of that segment yet, but when they do it will be posted here:  

http://www.theticketfm.com/category/early-break/

• Plus1 2