RB Maurice Washington [Nebraska-Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

73 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Washington Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/2018 at 08:30 PM

Frost's comments are a little more encouraging, but I'm not sure what he means by "options". There is not a ton the incoming institution can do right now, it's mostly about the applicant filling requirements and the NCAA processing/approving. Every summer there is a huge stockpile of cases in men's basketball and football and the schools can't do much more than wait and hope. 

The online school bit doesn't worry me too much except the issues surrounding theses cases tend to be about how credible the results are, and online schools are even more ripe for exploitation than traditional schools are. It could potentionally take even longer to process. None of this leaves me with a high amount of confidence he makes it this fall, eligible to play this year or not, but I absolutely agree with the poster above that if he can just get into the program he'll get the support, academic and otherwise, he needs.

"When a kid commits to us, we're committed to them," Frost said. "Maurice has been through some real trials in the last couple years. We're going to try and walk step-by-step with him and try to get him through this. Hopefully he'll land in a good place. 

NU may not necessarily have to request an academic waiver for Washington, either. 

"I don't want to talk about waivers, I don't want to guess on what the NCAA will do, I don't want to guess on if we might file a waiver — we might not," Frost said. "That's assuming a lot, that we'd need to go to a waiver. Right now we're trying to do what we can to get him eligible." 

OWH

“He’s going to graduate high school," Frost said. "We are hoping he gets to a point where he’s an NCAA qualifier, but part of the new rule is they have to have a certain percentage of their core classes done by their junior year. He had a really rough junior year because of some of the things that were going on with him – losing his father, transferring schools, not being able to play football. He was he dealing with a lot of things and didn’t have a very good junior year.

"I think there’s a chance he might be able to make those (core credits) up. If he’s a qualifier but doesn’t have the right number of core classes by his 11th-grade year, that would allow him to be an academic redshirt. We’ll see where he lands, and we’ll certainly fight for him no matter what the situation is.”

HOL

5 hours ago, brophog said:

Frost's comments are a little more encouraging, but I'm not sure what he means by "options". There is not a ton the incoming institution can do right now, it's mostly about the applicant filling requirements and the NCAA processing/approving. Every summer there is a huge stockpile of cases in men's basketball and football and the schools can't do much more than wait and hope. 

The online school bit doesn't worry me too much except the issues surrounding theses cases tend to be about how credible the results are, and online schools are even more ripe for exploitation than traditional schools are. It could potentionally take even longer to process. None of this leaves me with a high amount of confidence he makes it this fall, eligible to play this year or not, but I absolutely agree with the poster above that if he can just get into the program he'll get the support, academic and otherwise, he needs.

Those online schools have become much better and if it is accredited it would be really difficult to deny the grades.  But you never know! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

14 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So when does he actually finish his summer course work and graduate? Then how long does the academic waiver process take once you apply?

Don't expect him to play this year. In my opinion of course, but the big thing is getting him on campus for the academic redshirt year. If we do that we should be fine. 

• Plus1 7