RB Maurice Washington [Nebraska-Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

73 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Washington Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/2018 at 08:30 PM

25 minutes ago, brophog said:

We don't know all the details...and he's a kid. They need discipline and guidance, and from what we do know it suggests he hasn't always had that. A football program like ours, built on player accountability and responsibility, by the players and for the players, provides that. 

Just putting this out for conversations sake, I really don't care.  (edit: I really don't care about the background as long as his presence makes the team better)

But Frost was adamant about how they will pull offers, or not offer, because of irresponsible social media posts and grades in a recent FNL camp.  There does seem to be some sort of disconnect.

But it has also always been that way for all players and all coaches.  The better you are, the longer the leash.  I'm excited for Frost in Lincoln, and love his attitude.  But it is still just coach speak.  He knows what his fans want to hear, and he knows what it takes to win.  There will be discrepancies.

4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

In my opinion watching his film. If he wasnt an academic risk all along. So more schools would have been on him, so the recruiting services would have spent more time actually evaluating him. He looks like a 5 star talent when I watch the film. Elite speed, doesnt go down with contact very often. Good receiver out of the backfield. 

He is a 5 star talent. But when we get a guy like that, we have to immediately downplay it ;)

13 minutes ago, funhusker said:

But Frost was adamant about how they will pull offers, or not offer, because of irresponsible social media posts and grades in a recent FNL camp.  There does seem to be some sort of disconnect.

I see that. He's also said he's devoted to helping players as people, too. We likely know less about this case that he does and I'm not prone to speculation. All I can say is, in my experience, a lot of kids with grade issues or minor discrepancies can be helped and a lot of times a root cause of their problems is people turning them away. One of the worst things you can do to a kid is label him a 'bad kid' because they will often times start living up to that expectation. 

• Plus1 2

Without knowing much about his Texas high school experience, I can say with confidence that any issues that he had with a Deion Sanders' affiliated high school should be taken with a boulder of salt. It doesn't surprise me that there are issues with core classes transfering to other institutions of education. I thought it was Euless Trinity that he went to. Deion has had issues with UIL before with his Prime Prep Academy. I'm sure this is a similar situation.

4 minutes ago, Lonestar_Husker said:

Without knowing much about his Texas high school experience, I can say with confidence that any issues that he had with a Deion Sanders' affiliated high school should be taken with a boulder of salt. It doesn't surprise me that there are issues with core classes transfering to other institutions of education. I thought it was Euless Trinity that he went to. Deion has had issues with UIL before with his Prime Prep Academy. I'm sure this is a similar situation.

The class issues were from when he was in California before he transferred to Texas.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The class issues were from when he was in California before he transferred to Texas.

OK. The core classes weren't a problem for a transfer to Texas, but not ok for a transfer back to California? That makes sense. I hope it gets resolved. It just seems like he knows his path is athletics, but has been told to jump through a few of the wrong hoops to be able to secure an opportunity.

4 minutes ago, Lonestar_Husker said:

OK. The core classes weren't a problem for a transfer to Texas, but not ok for a transfer back to California? That makes sense. I hope it gets resolved. It just seems like he knows his path is athletics, but has been told to jump through a few of the wrong hoops to be able to secure an opportunity.

The problem is the NCAA requires you to have a certain number of core classes completed by some time during your junior year and he was short of that.  He was able to play catch-up and complete the classes and (apparently) get the test score to be admitted to the University but the prevailing theory is that he would not be deemed a qualifier by the NCAA because he didn't get enough core classes done in time.  That's where the application to the NCAA comes in to be able to take him as an "academic redshirt".

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The problem is the NCAA requires you to have a certain number of core classes completed by some time during your junior year and he was short of that.  He was able to play catch-up and complete the classes and (apparently) get the test score to be admitted to the University but the prevailing theory is that he would not be deemed a qualifier by the NCAA because he didn't get enough core classes done in time.  That's where the application to the NCAA comes in to be able to take him as an "academic redshirt".

If I'm reading this right, we essentially knew all along he would not be eligible this year. We were just hoping/fighting for him to make it as an academic redshirt?

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Does he have to make certain requirements once he is here taking classes since he didn't have enough core classes or is it just sit out a year.  

12 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

If I'm reading this right, we essentially knew all along he would not be eligible this year. We were just hoping/fighting for him to make it as an academic redshirt?

Correct. The ACT score gets him through the door, it's in the NCAA clearinghouse hands now. If he doesn't get cleared he most likely takes the juco route.

9 minutes ago, skers83 said:

Does he have to make certain requirements once he is here taking classes since he didn't have enough core classes or is it just sit out a year.  

As I understand it, there would not be any academic requirement above what any other student-athlete would be required to do.  He just wouldn't be able to play for the first year.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

I see that. He's also said he's devoted to helping players as people, too. We likely know less about this case that he does and I'm not prone to speculation. All I can say is, in my experience, a lot of kids with grade issues or minor discrepancies can be helped and a lot of times a root cause of their problems is people turning them away. One of the worst things you can do to a kid is label him a 'bad kid' because they will often times start living up to that expectation. 

agree 100%

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

As I understand it, there would not be any academic requirement above what any other student-athlete would be required to do.  He just wouldn't be able to play for the first year.

I did a little more looking into this and my question above as well. It looks like if he can show a hardship and prove he faced extenuating circumstances that prevented him from completing required core classes he can get a waiver to be immediately eligible. It looks like that is unlikely but he still has to show hardship to be granted the academic red-shirt which is more likely. Again, I could be wrong but that's what it looks like it's coming down to. 

• Plus1 2