Mavric

RB Maurice Washington [Nebraska-Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It sounds good. On the other hand, if he’s the best back you play him now so he can help in every game.

Right... but how is he going to be the best back? He isn’t in the same shape other backs are. He hasn’t even touched the playbook. He was almost academically ineligible so will need to stay on that stuff.

I hope you’re right that he is a stud right away, but I just don’t see that being the case.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Right... but how is he going to be the best back? He isn’t in the same shape other backs are. He hasn’t even touched the playbook. He was almost academically ineligible so will need to stay on that stuff.

I hope you’re right that he is a stud right away, but I just don’t see that being the case.

I agree it's unlikely, but he wouldn't be the first true freshman to play a lot or start, and other than the unknowns, our running backs don't seem to be very good, or they have a knee problem. I think the reason we all know the names of so many RBs, and think we're deep, is because none of them really stand out except perhaps the newcomers. It might seem like Ameer got carries as a true freshman because we didn't have a lot of upper classmen RBs, but maybe we just didn't know their names because we had Helu and Burkhead.

I think it depends on him...he might do better with the structure of knowing vs redshirting...he might not.  Who knows just yet.

13 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I agree it's unlikely, but he wouldn't be the first true freshman to play a lot or start, and other than the unknowns, our running backs don't seem to be very good, or they have a knee problem. I think the reason we all know the names of so many RBs, and think we're deep, is because none of them really stand out except perhaps the newcomers. It might seem like Ameer got carries as a true freshman because we didn't have a lot of upper classmen RBs, but maybe we just didn't know their names because we had Helu and Burkhead.

Really? I’m quite optimistic about Bell, Miles. Lukewarm on Ozigbo, and flaming hot about Bryant when he is playing. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Really? I’m quite optimistic about Bell, Miles. Lukewarm on Ozigbo, and flaming hot about Bryant when he is playing. 

Note that I mentioned the new guys a couple times. I'm not including them. But I'm not sure whether or not they're better than Washington.

Bryant obviously did well but his health is questionable.

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Bryant obviously did well but his health is questionable.

Luckily for him, and this also goes for Washington's situation, this staff is very good at rotating. He doesn't need to carry it 40 times anymore, a half dozen or so and he can be productive. Having both available helps the other play only when most advantageous and avoid that temptation all coaches have to overuse a productive player.

On 8/3/2018 at 7:48 AM, ScottyIce said:

Understand.

Me personally?

Id rather see him focus on his grades, the playbook and getting in great shape, “redshirt” and play the last 4 games of the year.

I like the idea of easing him into the season, but if he's ready to play mentally and physically, I think it would be good to start playing him in October.  He would have 2 months to put on quality weight and be 6 weeks into his college classes.  If he struggles his first game or two, he can always be shut down until the last 2 games of the season.  The 4 games played can be any combination, and I expect the coaches to be creative when it comes to using them for freshman they want to redshirt.

Also, if Washington is as good as he is advertised, he will leaving for the NFL early anyway.  I wouldn't look where he will be 5 years down the road, if he's only going to be at NU 3 or 4 years anyway.

Frost and company will not waste any players to red-shirts if they fill they can benefit the team in year 1.  The question to look at is the expected depth at any position going to be greater in 2018 or 2021 and the answer at every position would probably be 2021 - with that said play them NOW.  

A kid that goes into the game and finds out pretty quickly that they are not ready for D1 is going to work harder in the gym then a kid that gets put on the bench and told that they aren't ready.

...and i'm not saying this specifically about MW - i don't have enough info to even guess where he will fit in this year.

Supposedly there is a photo on his twitter account of him weighing himself at 191.6 to put the weight rumors to bed. I don’t see the photo myself can anyone who has access to twitter post that here? 

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Supposedly there is a photo on his twitter account of him weighing himself at 191.6 to put the weight rumors to bed. I don’t see the photo myself can anyone who has access to twitter post that here? 

That was shortly after the ESPN Allstar game. So, I am sure the rumors are true. 

4 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

That was shortly after the ESPN Allstar game. So, I am sure the rumors are true. 

Gotcha so it’s an old photo. 

6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Gotcha so it’s an old photo. 

Still, the fact he's been 190 before, and he came in lean (not overweight) makes this not that big of a deal to me. Sorry to beat a dead horse but it's not the same as it was with Gebbia, where you don't know how easily he could gain the weight (or if he can) because he'd never done it before.

I'm guessing they can put 5, maybe 10 pounds on Washington in the next 3 weeks, judging by how much weight I can gain in November/December.

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Still, the fact he's been 190 before, and he came in lean (not overweight) makes this not that big of a deal to me. Sorry to beat a dead horse but it's not the same as it was with Gebbia, where you don't know how easily he could gain the weight (or if he can) because he'd never done it before.

I'm guessing they can put 5, maybe 10 pounds on Washington in the next 3 weeks, judging by how much weight I can gain in November/December.

Thats not necissarily true. Could have weighed in with ankle weights on or something to make it look like he was heavier.

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Thats not necissarily true. Could have weighed in with ankle weights on or something to make it look like he was heavier.

Not sure if this was a joke, but people have mentioned that he looked skinnier in videos he posted.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Not sure if this was a joke, but people have mentioned that he looked skinnier in videos he posted.

It seems unlikely to me he has lost 20 pounds unless he was really out of shape before or trying out for a wrestling team

Killins Jr and Otis Anderson were both below 170 last year and they seemed to do just fine in Frost's offense. 

• Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You're right, and once his protein intake increases, his muscles will begin to take it in like he did when he was 191. In a few weeks he will be right around 180.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

He isn't going to be asked to carry the rock 30 times...they are talking 5-8 touches.  He will be fine.

If he's as good as they're talking it better be more than 5-8.

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

Or what 

Or we riot. If he’s not up in weight and is not the starting featured back, we riot. Just ask The Dude. This is how it must be :lol:

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

My guess is if he gets 5-8 and he has a few explosive plays in there. They will up his touch count 

Maybe...I think the most carries a UCF player got last year in one game was 16.  It is just how Frost runs his offense.

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Maybe...I think the most carries a UCF player got last year in one game was 16.  It is just how Frost runs his offense.

Killins had 21 touches in a game.  15 carries, 6 receptions against USF.

• Plus1 1

Very important to realize that as the season went on the rotation shrank. A lot has been said about how many offensive players had touches last year, but many of those were early season. By the tail end it was Milton/Killans/Anderson. Killans is also not, and was never intended to be, a feature back. He was just so productive he was hard to get off the field. The same can be said for Anderson, in many ways their most important non-QB. So it's not necessarily a parallel to our current situation.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, brophog said:

Very important to realize that as the season went on the rotation shrank. A lot has been said about how many offensive players had touches last year, but many of those were early season. By the tail end it was Milton/Killans/Anderson. Killans is also not, and was never intended to be, a feature back. He was just so productive he was hard to get off the field. The same can be said for Anderson, in many ways their most important non-QB. So it's not necessarily a parallel to our current situation.

Exactly. Thats why I said if he starts at 5-8 it will go up from there is he makes the most of those touches. If he is tearing off long run after long run in a game. The coaches are not going to say ok Maurice you got your 8 touches go sit down for the game. Its just silly to say they are going to stick to a plan on touches. 

I think all would agree Frost doesn't say things he doesnt truly mean. He also is not the type who is going to start the hype train for no reason. This is telling to me what kind of talent Washington is. 

“We’re glad to have Mo. He’s probably had a dozen spectacular plays since he’s been here... I’d say to this point he’s better than I expected.” Frost on Maurice Washington #Huskers

• Plus1 1

I would hope that Frost really stresses the praise and blame issue for this kid.  Right now, he's getting the praise, and all his tweets I've seen are retweets about his accolades.  I have nothing against that at all, per se, but once in awhile throw one in about the team itself or a teammate.

34 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I would hope that Frost really stresses the praise and blame issue for this kid.  Right now, he's getting the praise, and all his tweets I've seen are retweets about his accolades.  I have nothing against that at all, per se, but once in awhile throw one in about the team itself or a teammate.

He addresses that stuff all the time. Talked about the praise vs blame in the media. Rarely does a player deserve the amount of praise or blame that the media puts on a player.

That's how good he is, a program defining talent. I'm so excited he made it. Coach Held will keep him to a high standard and if that happens with the talent he has, there's no telling how good he can really be. He has a lot of traits a lot of great backs have, but even the great ones often lack his balance. It's very hard to get a clean shot at him, and when it happens defenders bounce off. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

That's how good he is, a program defining talent. I'm so excited he made it. Coach Held will keep him to a high standard and if that happens with the talent he has, there's no telling how good he can really be. He has a lot of traits a lot of great backs have, but even the great ones often lack his balance. It's very hard to get a clean shot at him, and when it happens defenders bounce off. 

Yeah, watching these solidifies thoughts about how good he is. So glad he made it.

He did have a periscope that said sorry Husker fans, I’m only staying 3 years.... so let’s enjoy them if he’s that good.

15 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

He did have a periscope that said sorry Husker fans, I’m only staying 3 years.... so let’s enjoy them if he’s that good.

If he can do that while investing in the program and himself, great. Otherwise he will learn the harsh reality many other early entrees have.

The NFL wants winners. He needs to go into those draft interviews being able to say he came into Nebraska and helped turn it around and they did xyz while he was there. Ultimately what's good for him is good for Nebraska.

Mo is their best player, but the backup RB is a stud too (19' Baylor commit), just not nearly as versatile with receiving and returning.