Who's Worse: Riley VS Callahan

Dark Days Remembered  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 months ago, before the NIU loss about 70% of the posters here were saying " Oh, I think we should give Riley more time, firing him would be rash...and some of us never bought into the suck in the first place.  It never seemed right that mighty NU should be trying to be a crappy version of Kijana Carter and the pussycats, but without Kijana or a defense.  Didn't sound like a plan, Stan.

That being said, if I were in the back of a shady brown sedan, gagged and with my hands tied behind my back when the BOSS says go ahead and put him in the CEMENT SHOES, I'd much rather be back there with Riley than Callahan.

Edited by dvdcrr

3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Callahan was slightly better. Dropped that 73-point bomb on KSU toward the end of '07, and put up 51 on CU. Even at the end of a bad season, they were making it work. Horrible defense, but Ganz and Co. were lighting it up, and there was still pride to play for.

Say what you will about Sam Keller, but as bad as things were, I do remember seeing him out there cheering on his teammates after he went down and Ganz took over. Does anyone remember anything like that this year?

• Plus1 3
17 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

5 months ago, before the NIU loss about 70% of the posters here were saying " Oh, I think we should give Riley more time, firing him would be rash...and some of us never bought into the suck in the first place.  It never seemed right that mighty NU should be trying to be a crappy version of Kijana Carter and the pussycats, but without Kijana or a defense.  Didn't sound like a plan, Stan.

That being said, if I were in the back of a shady brown sedan, gagged and with my hands tied behind my back when the BOSS says go ahead and put him in the CEMENT SHOES, I'd much rather be back there with Riley than Callahan.

I admit for the first two seasons, I was a big Cal and MR fan.  However after NIU loss, I joined a member of FireRiley.com club.  "Nice guy finish last ......."

after Switzer .... Gibbs; failed* ==> Howard; failed ==> Blake; failed ==> Stoops; success

after Osborne .... Solich; failed* ==> Callahan; failed ==> Bo; failed* ==> MR; failed ==> Frost; ???

* actually somewhat success

AA_NUROCKET.gif

Edited by Hooked on Huskers

On the field they both suck ass. Dont want either of their crap. 

Off the field I’ll take Reilly. He built a great “after football life” for NU players. He made a “home” for players to like. He was a good ambassador. 

Callahan destroyed what was left of Cornhusker tradition and recognition. Callahan reorganized, took down, and bent basic Nebraska traditions. 

Glad it’s over and don’t want to dwell but Callahan truly was not a good fit. I’d take Reilly, even though they both suck balls 

• Plus1 2

17 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

.....that got dark. 

• Plus1 3

Callahan is a pretty decent coach, but a poor fit for Nebraska (and probably college football in general) in scheme and personality, and couldn't bring himself to fire his old buddy.

Riley was a mediocre coach at best, had a scheme that was... I don't even know what, had a personality that was pleasant but lacked the sort of leadership the team needed, and was willing to fire old buddies but didn't really improve on them with the replacements.

If Callahan would've brought in a better DC, he probably could've coached here for quite a while, despite it all. Riley just had too many problems he couldn't fix.

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 2
22 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

MR never had the support of 70% the fan base. I wanted him fired the day he was hired, and that never changed.

• Plus1 2