OT Jalan Robinson [Kansas- Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

41 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Robinson Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/2018 at 08:06 PM

2 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

But you don't just take guys to take them.  Frost said yesterday their goal was to get the best players they could, and only get guys that they're confident can help the team.  This would probably end up being the biggest reach in the class if they took him.  Perhaps he develops into a good player, but the need isn't that high, and the risk is high.  To lock up a scholarship for 4-5 years on someone they aren't sure could ever help the team would be a mistake IMO.  I have no problem with them taking a full year to develop relationships and get a couple really good DL and OL in the next class.  This isn't a 1 year turnaround, that's why Frost got a 7 year contract.

For OL and DT you most certainly have to recruit on potential and possibly reach.  That is due to what i said about development taking longer than other positions.   There aren't enough sure-fire players in those positions to go around. 

And furthermore, they offered the kid a scholarship.  So obviously they believe he can help the team.  So which is it?  Is he a reach or can he help the team?

Edited by StPaulHusker

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

For OL and DT you most certainly have to recruit on potential and possibly reach.  That is due to what i said about development taking longer than other positions.   There aren't enough sure-fire players in those positions to go around. 

And furthermore, they offered the kid a scholarship.  So obviously they believe he can help the team.  So which is it?  Is he a reach or can he help the team?

He said himself it wasn't a committable offer, and that's also why he took an unofficial visit instead of official.  They absolutely wanted more than 1 lineman in the class, so when 3 or 4 of their top targets said no, he moved up from plan F to plan B behind Canty.  If Canty had said no, I bet Robinson would have been in.

Now, do you take him as well in order to get more numbers and help depth, knowing his ceiling is probably the second string?

Or, do you take what you have, develop the talent on the roster, and find some good targets for next year with a higher ceiling?

We'll see what Frost does.

14 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Not every scholarship offer is commitable as we have seen. It is an unfortunate part of the game, but we have seen many times where a kid gets an offer that the staff only intends on honoring if targets A, B, C, etc. fall through.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Not every scholarship offer is commitable as we have seen. It is an unfortunate part of the game, but we have seen many times where a kid gets an offer that the staff only intends on honoring if targets A, B, C, etc. fall through.

Even if it isn't committable, they still offered which means they thought he could help.  If they didn't think he could help, then there was no point in offering.  

8 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

He said himself it wasn't a committable offer, and that's also why he took an unofficial visit instead of official.  They absolutely wanted more than 1 lineman in the class, so when 3 or 4 of their top targets said no, he moved up from plan F to plan B behind Canty.  If Canty had said no, I bet Robinson would have been in.

Now, do you take him as well in order to get more numbers and help depth, knowing his ceiling is probably the second string?

Or, do you take what you have, develop the talent on the roster, and find some good targets for next year with a higher ceiling?

We'll see what Frost does.

Based on the OL production the last couple of years, there is no way you can look at the roster and say this kid is at best 2nd string.  

So, yes, you take him with Canty and get more depth because i have a feeling that a couple of players aren't going to remain on the team much longer which will hurt depth.

4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Based on the OL production the last couple of years, there is no way you can look at the roster and say this kid is at best 2nd string.  

So, yes, you take him with Canty and get more depth because i have a feeling that a couple of players aren't going to remain on the team much longer which will hurt depth.

Maybe, but I wouldn't put much stock in past production from any position.  I don't doubt we'll see departures, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see some grad transfers in.

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Even if it isn't committable, they still offered which means they thought he could help.  If they didn't think he could help, then there was no point in offering.  

Yes they felt he could help, but they valued other players more so didn’t make his offer commitable. Clearly the staff doesn’t feel he can help enough to warrant taking a spot now, he is a fringe prospect. He could very well turn out to be a big miss by this staff down the line, but currently they prioritized other players in the 88 and feel they can address needs in the next class and be fine for this season and next.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Yes they felt he could help, but they valued other players more so didn’t make his offer commitable. Clearly the staff doesn’t feel he can help enough to warrant taking a spot now, he is a fringe prospect. He could very well turn out to be a big miss by this staff down the line, but currently they prioritized other players in the 88 and feel they can address needs in the next class and be fine for this season and next.

Well if we are at 88, this discussion is a moot point.

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

An offer is not necessarily automatically commit-able, more like an offer to come visit and find out if we are going forward.  A first date kind of thing.

Kind of like asking somebody to a dance, doesn't mean you have to go home with them afterwards ( or sign a marriage license). 

3 minutes ago, B1GRED said:

An offer is not necessarily automatically commit-able, more like an offer to come visit and find out if we are going forward.  A first date kind of thing.

Kind of like asking somebody to a dance, doesn't mean you have to go home with them afterwards ( or sign a marriage license). 

Are you new here?

43 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

88, is Peyton Newell transfering?

Hasn't been confirmed, but I'd be shocked if he didn't.

We'll see who else leaves, but there are a few that would be obvious because they've been non-contributors.  It always seems like one big contributor takes off too, though.

• 2 weeks later...