Lindsey and Owen Hospitalized

I thought Frost would get the Huskers to at least 9 wins this year, and have them competing for the BIG title in year 2, but I have changed my expectations. MR left this team in horrible shape physically. Mentally they are probably just as bad given the crappy system MR and Disco ran. It will be like having a full team of true freshman.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:54 PM, Mavric said:

"This team is as out of shape in the weight room as this staff could ever imagined. It's caused them to change the entire winter program." - Sean Callahan

I'm having trouble finding the source of this quote. Is this something Sean Callahan said in print? Would love a source.

On 1/30/2018 at 12:09 PM, 307husker said:

Performance athletics isn't always healthy and rhabdo is a tricky thing.  Unfortunately, there isn't always a clear line between working hard and working too hard, especially in a group environment with highly competitive and "invincible" college age athletes.  

The pitchforks and feathers need to be put away IMO, Duval, Frost and Co. hopefully learn a bit from this and are better for it in the future. 

This is right. As a physician, I can tell you that this is a tricky and unpredictable condition. I have seen people turn up with rhabdo many times after doing the same workout they had been doing without any issues. When the line is crossed and that cascade starts isn’t usually noticeable at the time. 

The atheletes conditioning and hydration also play a role of course. But I find it hard to believe a conditioning expert like Duval isn’t pounding the hydration thing into these guys. 

To be clear, I’m not saying I’m not concerned. But, this is something that happens from time to time in high performance training scenarios. It was identified quickly and acted on quickly by all reports I’ve seen. 

Unfortunate things can happen without someone having to always be tarred and feathered over it. 

• Plus1 9

3 hours ago, rolldog said:

Based on some of the responses to the situation, I think some people on this board are going to have to toughen up.  It isn't surprising, however, owing to the amount of whining that gets posted to this board.

Any indication that this was ignored/covered up or not disclosed? NO

Any indication that the players' condition was ignored or discounted? NO

Any indication from past history that this staff treats players poorly? NO

Any indication from other teams coached by this staff that they don't trust the staff or believe in their methods? NO

Sh** happens sometimes even under the best conditions.  The staff recognized it, got the appropriate medical attention and thankfully the players will be just fine.  Coach Frost was direct in his press release, even calling several media outlets to discuss the issue BEFORE it was widely know.  I kind of like this guy.....!

It's 2018 dude we need to get offended

• Plus1 2

Having trouble getting through all of the posts in this thread, but I don't think that anybody has raised these (at least potential) issues that extend beyond concern for the students health and who to blame:

1) Having this happen right before signing day is not a positive for recruiting (parents could be alarmed, for one thing). It strikes me as having a chilling effect similar to learning that a hospital is having a problem with staph/MRCA. 

2) If you Google this stuff in the past, there have been lawsuits brought by students, so there is a potential hit for the university (which would also keep it in the news at each court date/event). Not good. The PR is probably much worse than any financial settlements. An Iowa student got awarded a whopping $13,500 after all of the hassle. (As long as the university took prompt action to get them hospital care their negligence exposure is probably limited).

3) The way Scott Frost took full responsibility (and worded things, in his FULL COMMENTS) should make this a minimal issue, as long as the two points above don't become a distraction/issue. I have the feeling that the way Bill Moos handles this with the families affected (some of which may never make the news) could be a factor. Since Oregon has dealt with this and Moos (as a former Oregon Athletic Director and WSU AD during the Oregon incident), he may have some knowledge of how they handled their cases from Jan. 2017.

Finally, some interesting reading (YMMV) for you from a High School incident in Oregon: Preliminary Report: Cluster of Compartment Syndrome and Rhabdomyolysis Among McMinnville High School Football Team Katrina Hedberg, MD, MPH State Epidemiologist Oregon Public Health Division 2 September 2010 (12 page PDF)

See also this SI article from back when Oregon had its issues.

IF this can be "spun" as a sign of the poor conditioning of the team under Riley's regime (rightly or wrongly) there should be minimal affect on the SF regime, but it IS a bad sign if that is indeed the problem. If Duval has "done this 5 times in the past" and this is the first time he has run into such poor conditioning issues, it is a sign of how far the Huskers have fallen and you may need to adjust your recovery timeline accordingly.

Edited by cheekygeek