Lindsey and Owen Hospitalized

29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I’m still waiting for the memo from the NCAA warning member institutions that it is inappropriate to have creepy doctors digitally penetrating little girls and pretending it is some form of treatment. Apparently they knew what was happening at Michigan State years ago and did nothing to stop it.

As far as I’m concerned the NCAA is a complete joke and they can all go and **** themselves.

It is NCdoubleCAA$H

• Plus1 1

Talking specifically about this new NCAA mandate... What in the hell is Moos going to say looking at Duval’s workout plans? These seem too difficult? How is he to know that? He is actually possibly a AD that knows more about that stuff considering he actually played the game... but there are likely AD’s that don’t have experience as a heavy weight lifter/trainer/doctor to know anything different than what their expert(Duval) knows in their field....

Look what happened after Iowas rhabdo incident. Been far better than us. Fact is precautions were taken, but we were so out of shape from not being held accountable for showing up for lifting/conditioning for so long even the precauitions werent enough. I put more blame on the previous staff and players.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Talking specifically about this new NCAA mandate... What in the hell is Moos going to say looking at Duval’s workout plans? These seem too difficult? How is he to know that? He is actually possibly a AD that knows more about that stuff considering he actually played the game... but there are likely AD’s that don’t have experience as a heavy weight lifter/trainer/doctor to know anything different than what their expert(Duval) knows in their field....

This takes some speculation on my part, but I don't think they're literally saying 'hey, AD, just give this a once over and if your inexpert opinion likes it then onward and upward!' Universities have more than one S&C coach and usually have support staff to monitor different aspects of weight training, diet, etc. Many of them have degrees in the field. I'm not saying they know more than Duval or Duval knows more than them, but, it doesn't ever hurt to have more than one set of eyes on something in any professional field. I think that's really all they're saying.

But, I would still argue that (by all accounts) this staff appears to have tried to do everything the right way. They baseline tested all the players and significantly shortened the workouts which still resulted in players having issues. Had the coaches not adjusted anything then I think this would be more of a concern. We can't say for certain the staff did absolutely every single little thing they could have, but, my personal opinion is the players' previous conditioning and their season having ended two months ago has more to do with it than anything.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

This takes some speculation on my part, but I don't think they're literally saying 'hey, AD, just give this a once over and if your inexpert opinion likes it then onward and upward!' Universities have more than one S&C coach and usually have support staff to monitor different aspects of weight training, diet, etc. Many of them have degrees in the field. I'm not saying they know more than Duval or Duval knows more than them, but, it doesn't ever hurt to have more than one set of eyes on something in any professional field. I think that's really all they're saying.

But, I would still argue that (by all accounts) this staff appears to have tried to do everything the right way. They baseline tested all the players and significantly shortened the workouts which still resulted in players having issues. Had the coaches not adjusted anything then I think this would be more of a concern. We can't say for certain the staff did absolutely every single little thing they could have, but, my personal opinion is the players' previous conditioning and their season having ended two months ago has more to do with it than anything.

I'm saying Duval knows more than them, which creates an issue. If you are correct and there are people above him with plenty of knowledge than this mandate makes sense, however, I don't believe that to be the case at most schools.

Exactly, agreed about everything you said in the 2nd paragraph.

Duval's workout regime went through Epley before it was even implemented.   I guarantee that Epley and the medical staff evaluated the baseline tests and agreed with Duval on shorting the sessions.  These guys aren't stupid or they wouldn't have taken precautions to begin with.   Nebraska has always before the front runner when it comes to S&C and I think the NCAA response is because of it.  If it could happen at Nebraska, then it will most likely happen at other schools.  It is to bad that they didn't get involved after Iowa and Oregon's issues.

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

I'm saying Duval knows more than them, which creates an issue. If you are correct and there are people above him with plenty of knowledge than this mandate makes sense, however, I don't believe that to be the case at most schools.

Exactly, agreed about everything you said in the 2nd paragraph.

Even the top people in any field can make mistakes or not grok everything. Another set of eyes can sometimes catch those mistakes. Or just a different way of thinking about the problem can lead to new solutions.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Even the top people in any field can make mistakes or not grok everything. Another set of eyes can sometimes catch those mistakes. Or just a different way of thinking about the problem can lead to new solutions.

after I posted I realized we have Eppley, so he should be a great resource at our disposal.

2 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

I'm saying Duval knows more than them, which creates an issue.

People who are experts in a field are managed by people that aren't all the time.  There is no way in hell a manager of a large organization can be an expert in everything people below him/her are.  However, they still are held accountable for what those experts do and are in charge of making sure they perform their jobs accordingly.

• Plus1 1

Here's a thought, maybe we don't know what exactly the coaching staff informed the team before their break besides that they will get after their butts once Winter Conditioning began.  We're not certain if they were provided workouts to do to get ready before Winter Conditioning.

So I'm going to posit this theory, the team is in shape, but not to where Frost and Duval want them to be.  They adjusted the workout and Lindsey's and Owen's bodies reacted poorly.  Doesn't mean that Lindsey or Owen were not in shape (or really anyone else on the team), just means that they had a poor reaction to what they were doing.

I have tried to learn a bit more about Rhabodo as this happened, it also hit some high school kids here in Oregon.  It is interesting that this has come to the forefront the last few years.  I suspect that it occurs far more than we think and that it has for years and years went diagnosed as the symptoms were not understood.   Some folks who get rhambo simply came in for a free 30 minute spinning class, but they were not fit to do it.  It also shows up is in compression injuries from accidents, to me that shows how strenuous the physical activity must be to cause a condition that may be also found in a person stuck under debris after a disaster, more specifically from a crush accident that injured muscle tissue.   I add this just for info.  I'm not looking to add to or diminish responsibility regarding this incident(s). 

Edited by mnhusker
grammer