Zack Darlington Leaves Program "To Pursue Other Life Goals"

Just now, BellyOption said:

Wrong. He was running with the 1s and 2s last fall before he had a shoulder injury that took him out of camp for a couple of weeks.

We also had terrible WR depth last year and we need bodies in practice. He was never going to see the field and concussions were the reason. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BellyOption said:

You know nothing about this situation.

And you do? Please share your amazing insight. 

Edit: if he could have played he definitely would have last year. Our WR depth was soooooo thin. Why do you think he was made the place holder? He was never ever going to see real action where he could potentially take a big hit, so he was given something he could do. It's all right there and judging by your evidence ("but he switched to WR!") I'm going to guess you are about as informed of the situation as I am. 

Edited by Nebfanatic

A very good article with him from the Orlando Sentinel  can be found HERE

I liked this answer:

OS: It’s been a crazy time at Nebraska, but I'm sure it has also been very well received, the new hire.

ZD: Oh yeah. I mean I think that it's something that not only does the team deserve a guy like Coach Frost, but I think the state does. Someone with the morals and character that he showed in that coaching transition, I don't think I've ever seen a coach show that kind of a character and in a very uncomfortable time. I mean it could have been very uncomfortable. Just for him, for the team, for the university, for the state and I think it's almost like just shocking how well he handled it. And so it makes me very excited for what's to come for Nebraska, honestly.

From that article:

No, the former Apopka star would still realize a life-long goal of playing college football. That to Darlington was plenty enough. He didn’t, however, do it as a quarterback. That day in Duncan, S.C., was the last time he would play the position he loved in an official game.

He did close out the bowl game against Tennessee last year at QB. Only like a dozen snaps, but still.

• 2 weeks later...

In an important youth football game, one swift kick to the face from a defender knocked the top, front teeth from Zack's mouth. The bloody QB climbed to his feet and tossed his teeth to the sideline. They sat in a cup of milk for the remainder of the game as Zack led his team to a score, then clinched victory with a series of sacks as a defensive end.

"That was the first time I ever thought, 'Wow, this kid has something special in him,' " Ty said

Fake front teeth and all, Zack's toughness persisted. As a sophomore, first-year starter for Rick Darlington, the Apopka coach, Zack suffered a torn labrum in his non-throwing arm. His shoulder popped from its socket several times in a single game, but he continued to play, biting down hard on a towel to suppress his desire to scream when medical staff intervened.

The next year, he fractured the wrist of his throwing arm with several games left in the season but played while wearing a splint and led Apopka to an 8A state championship with a 53-50 win at the Florida Citrus Bowl.

And then there was the time, driving home from practice in Ty's senior year, that the brothers saw an elderly man struggling in a lake after his boat capsized. Before Ty parked the car, Zack had dived from the dock. He flipped the boat and pulled the man to safety.

"That's just normal instinct for him," Ty said. "He's an incredible leader, especially in tough moments. He loved football not because of the X's and O's; he loved football because of the toughness, the leadership opportunities, the brotherhood. Those are all things that the military has to offer.

"When you look at it like that, it's not any wonder this is what he has chosen."

ESPN

• Plus1 2