Wilbon Among 'Most Elusive" Returning B1G Backs

Mavric

1 minute ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Exactly. Any of our recent running backs who ended a season with positive yards are likely ranked high in the elusiveness category. They'd have to be because they sure weren't getting any help from the line or play calling. Pretty sure we'll start to see that problem disappear beginning in September.

Yep.  Think we are going to see a lot of players emerge this upcoming season, especially RBs, that will leave a lot us of shaking our heads at the previous staff even more than we already have.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, GSG said:

This is the formula for elusive rating from their website:

[(Missed Tackles Rush + Missed Tackles Rec) / (Rushes + Receptions)] * (Yards per Carry after Contact / Att. * 100)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/signature-stats-elusive-rating

Question about this.

Is a missed tackle only when someone touches the RB and doesn't tackle?  There are lots of missed tackles because the RB jukes the guy out of his jock and doesn't touch him.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I haven’t been impressed with our current group of running backs. The problem is that we could have 20-year old clones of Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, and Jim Brown on the roster and Riley and Co. would have made them look mediocre through crappy player development, terrible blocking, clueless playcalling, and a general inability to use resources effectively.

We’ll just have to wait and see. 

Exactly, with better line play, play calling that will expose these guys skill sets, all of them will look better.

1 hour ago, Army_Allen said:

Did Zig graduate? People aren't talking about him and I find that curious as he, just like Cross get overlooked for the type of work they did for us.

No he will be a senior. Curious what happens to him and Ben Miles since FB and large backs didn’t have much a role at UCF

On 2/1/2018 at 2:16 PM, Ric Flair said:

I haven’t been impressed with our current group of running backs. The problem is that we could have 20-year old clones of Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, and Jim Brown on the roster and Riley and Co. would have made them look mediocre through crappy player development, terrible blocking, clueless playcalling, and a general inability to use resources effectively.

We’ll just have to wait and see. 

Nebraska could have had the real Barry Sanders too.

On 2/1/2018 at 9:19 PM, Army_Allen said:

Did Zig graduate? People aren't talking about him and I find that curious as he, just like Cross get overlooked for the type of work they did for us.

I have not been impressed at all with ozigbo but I actually see him being the top back next year.  The change in blocking schemes and the lack of an elusive back on the roster makes me think that the staff will be able to utilize him much more than the other guys.  Frosts version of the spread puts a lot of stress on opposing linebackers and having a bulldozer type of running back will force teams to respect the inside lanes more than the others.  Tre could be that guy but he just doesn't cut well enough.  I think for the time being we are going to be resigned to using the system to our advantage more than the individual talent in the backfield, and to that end I think Devine probably brings more to the table than the others.