Wilbon Among 'Most Elusive" Returning B1G Backs

Mavric

18 hours ago, Crazyhole said:

I have not been impressed at all with ozigbo but I actually see him being the top back next year.  The change in blocking schemes and the lack of an elusive back on the roster makes me think that the staff will be able to utilize him much more than the other guys.  Frosts version of the spread puts a lot of stress on opposing linebackers and having a bulldozer type of running back will force teams to respect the inside lanes more than the others.  Tre could be that guy but he just doesn't cut well enough.  I think for the time being we are going to be resigned to using the system to our advantage more than the individual talent in the backfield, and to that end I think Devine probably brings more to the table than the others. 

Bell (who has already signed) and Maurice Washington (if he signs and plays running back) are much closer to what Frost is looking for than Ozigbo. So is Jaylin Bradley. Bryant is the wild card because of his knee but even he is a better talent than Ozigbo.

Truthfully, I'm also not sure where the line about Bryant's cutting ability comes from. His vision and running ability were noticeably better than any other back on our roster last year, prior to him hanging the cleats for the year.

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Bell (who has already signed) and Maurice Washington (if he signs and plays running back) are much closer to what Frost is looking for than Ozigbo. So is Jaylin Bradley. Bryant is the wild card because of his knee but even he is a better talent than Ozigbo.

Truthfully, I'm also not sure where the line about Bryant's cutting ability comes from. His vision and running ability were noticeably better than any other back on our roster last year, prior to him hanging the cleats for the year.

If you watch his film, he uses his hips too much to begin his cuts against better defenders.   It could be a result of his knee issues and may improve now, and I hope it does because he has better vision than the others.   

Washington is the wildcard and if he ends up here I'd say there's no way he redshirts unless bell just blows up in fall camp. 

Personally I never understood how some people crowned Bryant as our 'best back' after running for a lot of yards against Arkansas State.  I like his speed.  Beyond that he's a decent back to me but not a game changer.  

As for Wilbon he definitely has play making abilities but to me he actually lacks some speed but having said that when you have the moves he does he's able to make up for it.  Also every time he seemed to start getting into a groove rep wise he would then suddenly get pulled.  The previous coaching staff definitely hamstring'd him and the entire running game as whole.

I'm actually excited to maybe see more of a Bell/Wilbon combo but either way I'm just excited for this season to start and I fully trust Frost and co regardless of who they go with and at what time unlike the previous staff.

10 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Personally I never understood how some people crowned Bryant as our 'best back' after running for a lot of yards against Arkansas State.  I like his speed.  Beyond that he's a decent back to me but not a game changer.  

As for Wilbon he definitely has play making abilities but to me he actually lacks some speed but having said that when you have the moves he does he's able to make up for it.  Also every time he seemed to start getting into a groove rep wise he would then suddenly get pulled.  The previous coaching staff definitely hamstring'd him and the entire running game as whole.

I'm actually excited to maybe see more of a Bell/Wilbon combo but either way I'm just excited for this season to start and I fully trust Frost and co regardless of who they go with and at what time unlike the previous staff.

Re-watch the games. Bryant was by far our best back and it wasn't even close. 

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

He played in two games and rushed for 299 yards, had a 5.9 YPC and two TD's. Wilbon (11 games) and Ozigbo (10 games) combined for 872 yards, 4.0 YPC and 9 TD's.

In my opinion, the proof was in the pudding. What he did in two games compared to what Wilbon/Ozigbo did (or, didn't do) the rest of the season is pretty substantial.

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

He played in two games and rushed for 299 yards, had a 5.9 YPC and two TD's. Wilbon (11 games) and Ozigbo (10 games) combined for 872 yards, 4.0 YPC and 9 TD's.

In my opinion, the proof was in the pudding. What he did in two games compared to what Wilbon/Ozigbo did (or, didn't do) the rest of the season is pretty substantial.

I don't think it's as simple as just going by stats alone but who knows and I respect the point that you're making. The one thing I'll say is that I'm excited to see whom ever it is at rb this year under Frost and Walters and it's been a long time since I've felt that way.  Also who knows we might even see an entirely different back emerge this season.  I'm excited to see the new formations and how they're ran also.

Edited by suh_fan93
7 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I don't think it's as simple as just going by stats alone but who knows and I respect the point that you're making. The one thing I'll say is that I'm excited to see whom ever it is at rb this year under Frost and Walters and it's been a long time since I've felt that way.  Also who knows we might even see an entirely different back emerge this season.  I'm excited to see the new formations and how they're ran also.

I agree - stats in a vacuum are a dangerous thing. And I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert. :lol:

The RB situation is going to be fascinating to me directly behind the QB situation. There are so many great story lines and opportunities there. Does one of the highest rated JUCO backs in Bell start? Does Maurice Washington come in and play heavily right away? Is Bryant able to finally overcome his knee issues? And then we can't forget about Bradley (who played in a similar offense in high school), Ozigbo (who led the team in rushing last year) or Wilbon (who a lot of people are still high on).

• Plus1 1
On 2/3/2018 at 5:46 AM, huskered17 said:

Could also have had Gale Sayers, for real....

GBR!!!

Not meant to derail - could you imagine if Sayers had gone to NU instead of Kansas?  I still think he would have been considered the best back in NFL history if not for the knee injury. 

Or Tom Osborne with Sanders in the backfield wt Steve Taylor at QB - forget sooner Magic - there wouldn't have been any. 

Emmitt Smith may have allowed us to overcome those bowl games loses in the late 80s early 90s. 

:backtotopic

I'm looking forward to what Bryant can do in Frost's offense.  I think he is the best returning back that we have.  You throw Bell and Washington (assumption he is all N) into the mix and I think we will be sitting pretty good.  You then add Bradley who I think will impress.   I think Wilbon and Oz will be looking for playing time that won't be available. 

• Plus1 1