Chinander Preaches Aggression, Turnovers

Mavric

“I’ve been a lot of places where you practice blitzes and practice getting after the quarterback on third down, but then when it comes time to really do it, you play safe,” he told the Journal Star on Thursday. “I don’t think you can do that if you really want to create turnovers.”

Turnovers have been a Chinander specialty in his first two years as a coordinator, to the tune of 58 takeaways in 26 games at Central Florida. That includes 32 in the Knights' 13-0 campaign this fall, second-most in the nation.

“I think No. 1, you have to talk about it, you have to meet about it, and do whatever you need to do — show clips to visualize it,” Chinander said. “But a lot of people talk about things and then don’t practice it. If you want your (defensive backs) to backpedal really good, you have to practice it every day. If you want to tackle really good, you’d better practice it every day.

“If you want turnovers, you’d better practice it every day. I know I’ve talked to a lot of people that just don’t think that that time is well-spent, but we spend time on it every day, and I think that has a big contributing factor in it.”

The other factor, as Chinander referenced, is risk tolerance. When it’s third-and-8, what’s the call? The 38-year-old Allison, Iowa, native is going to err on the side of aggressiveness.

“Sometimes when you do that it turns out to be not a great situation," he explained. "But with the offense that we have, I’m willing to take some of those risks and know that they’re going to do a heckuva job and they’re going to score a lot of points." 

LJS

• Plus1 7

It is refreshing, but it's also worth noting that almost every defensive coordinator in history has claimed to bring an aggressive defense that would force turnovers.

The bright side is that UCF did force a boat load of turnovers the past two seasons. The UCF defense also complimented the offense very well. Probably why they won so many games last year. :)

So practicing tackling everyday works?  Like it.  Seems like this team will have a ton of reps on the basics of football.  Something missing the past 3 years.....

I also like the honesty in the quote right here:

Before havoc, though, Chinander and the Husker coaches will build familiarity. He said he watched about two games worth of film from 2017 just to get a feel for what NU did, but stopped there.

“You can get bad taste in your mouth maybe about some kids or what they can and can’t do,” Chinander said of dwelling too much on the film. “What we really have done the last couple of places we’ve been is during that winter conditioning we’ve kind of made more evaluations than anything on what guys can do, what position they might be fitted for best, and then we’ve transitioned that into spring ball.”

If the staff watched a lot of film from last year, I think most of the guys would have a deep hole to climb out of moving forward.  Glad to see the whole team is getting a "reset" moving forward.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, lo country said:

So practicing tackling everyday works?  Like it.  Seems like this team will have a ton of reps on the basics of football.  Something missing the past 3 years.....

I also like the honesty in the quote right here:

Before havoc, though, Chinander and the Husker coaches will build familiarity. He said he watched about two games worth of film from 2017 just to get a feel for what NU did, but stopped there.

“You can get bad taste in your mouth maybe about some kids or what they can and can’t do,” Chinander said of dwelling too much on the film. “What we really have done the last couple of places we’ve been is during that winter conditioning we’ve kind of made more evaluations than anything on what guys can do, what position they might be fitted for best, and then we’ve transitioned that into spring ball.”

If the staff watched a lot of film from last year, I think most of the guys would have a deep hole to climb out of moving forward.  Glad to see the whole team is getting a "reset" moving forward.

Barrett Ruud was talking about this on Nick Bahe's show and I tend to agree with their reasoning. I think you want to see a little film to gauge some aspects of the player, but, it can also help as much as it hurts. I think it'll be better for them to watch the players in conditioning and the spring film and make decisions off of that. It's difficult to watch the film as a new coach and guess what the player was being asked to do on that given play.

On February 2, 2018 at 2:41 AM, Hans Gruber said:

It is refreshing, but it's also worth noting that almost every defensive coordinator in history has claimed to bring an aggressive defense that would force turnovers.

The bright side is that UCF did force a boat load of turnovers the past two seasons. The UCF defense also complimented the offense very well. Probably why they won so many games last year. :)

They gained a lot of turnovers. How many were "forced" is up for debate. 

What I do like about Chinander is they practice repeatable skills that can help in this regard. When you see a deep ball tipped, it's obvious they've ran many tip drills. In one of their coaching tape sessions on YouTube, they talked about how they scheme interception returns.