Chinander Preaches Aggression, Turnovers

Mavric

21 hours ago, husker98 said:

This is all in pretty well in line with the Oregon model chip Kelly built.

Don't expect many if any shutouts. But if everything goes to plant expect plenty of blow outs. 

How many you score and how many you give up is ultimately not important in an alternate possession game, it's the margin in terms of possessions that matter.

On a per possession basis, UCFs defense was quite underrated. It's a shame that football analytics has not more fully embraced possession based statistics while we still post useless stats like time of possession in every box score.

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, brophog said:

How many you score and how many you give up is ultimately not important in an alternate possession game, it's the margin in terms of possessions that matter.

On a per possession basis, UCFs defense was quite underrated. It's a shame that football analytics has not more fully embraced possession based statistics while we still post useless stats like time of possession in every box score.

I've never studied it but it seems to me time of possession is more of a response than a predictor. If your offense is doing well, you have a higher TOP. If your defense is doing well, you have a higher TOP. Therefore if your TOP is high then you're probably winning. But that doesn't mean high TOP should be some goal to reach for. It happens as a side effect. (This gets complicated if your offense likes to score TDs in 2 minutes).

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2

I’m not going to get in the statistical semantics, but I think points per possession scored and allowed would be the best indicator for offense and defense efficiency.  It takes TOP out of play and gives a good indicator on how effective your team is when you have the ball and when you are defending the ball.  Teams can artificially inflate their TOP by playing slower on offense (see Mike Riley tenure). 

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 3
42 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I've never studied it but it seems to me time of possession is more of a response than a predictor. If your offense is doing well, you have a higher TOP. If your defense is doing well, you have a higher TOP. Therefore if your TOP is high then you're probably winning. But that doesn't mean high TOP should be some goal to reach for. It happens as a side effect. (This gets complicated if your offense likes to score TDs in 2 minutes).

Especially in this case. From what i read and hear they are a lot more interested in # possessions and # times scored off those possessions and then # of turnovers the defenses makes and how many times the offense scores off that. 

Its all about offensive efficiency and a defense that complements it by give it the ball as many times as possible.

2 hours ago, brophog said:

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’m not going to get in the statistical semantics, but I think points per possession scored and allowed would be the best indicator for offense and defense efficiency.  It takes TOP out of play and gives a good indicator on how effective your team is when you have the ball and when you are defending the ball.  Teams can artificially inflate their TOP by playing slower on offense (see Mike Riley tenure). 

I'm a huge fan of using net yards per play although admittedly, I feel this is a little more accurate for NFL teams since college teams have such wide varying strengths of schedule.  That being said, NYPP is still a pretty good indicator.

• Plus1 2

Since this is a thread about defense, I have heard many times that defensive coaches (in dealing with high scoring offenses) say that they consider a possession a victory any time the opposing offense is forced to kick (either with a punt of FG attempt).  I know the ultimate goal of a defense is to not allow points and get the ball back to the offense, but I agree that you aren't going to lose a lot of games when you force punts and FG attempts, rather than TD's.

20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

TF especially!

Odd to think that if (Can't remember who got hurt) didn't get hurt, David might not have started as soon as he did.

Farley didn’t start in his first game as a Husker, because he was a terrible practice player. But, he returned a fumble for a TD against Okie State and made a ton of other plays, and he was impossible to keep off the field. The only thing that could stop him was himself. 

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Farley didn’t start in his first game as a Husker, because he was a terrible practice player. But, he returned a fumble for a TD against Okie State and made a ton of other plays, and he was impossible to keep off the field. The only thing that could stop him was himself. 

I was a terrible practice player...turns out I was also a terrible player in the games.

• Plus1 4
16 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't envy coaches when these kinds of players come around. Nine time out of 10, I strongly oppose the idea of 'just put a guy out there and see what he can do' because I believe the vast majority of players carry what they do in practice over to game days. But, then you have players like these two who just push all that to the side and make a difference.

Sort of random, but the one play I remember most from LD's career was that 4th and Short stop against PSU. I think it was the game after all the Sandusky stuff came out.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't envy coaches when these kinds of players come around. Nine time out of 10, I strongly oppose the idea of 'just put a guy out there and see what he can do' because I believe the vast majority of players carry what they do in practice over to game days. But, then you have players like these two who just push all that to the side and make a difference.

Sort of random, but the one play I remember most from LD's career was that 4th and Short stop against PSU. I think it was the game after all the Sandusky stuff came out.

Lavonte was so good that there aren't a whole lot of plays that stand out to me over his time at NU (the play you mentioned, and the strip on Braxton are the two for me).... Just a blur of excellence.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway