Athlon: Grading CFB Head Coach Hires

Mavric

1. Scott Frost, Nebraska

Previous Job: UCF Head Coach

Career Record: 19-7 (2016-17 UCF Head Coach)

In terms of fit and need as it relates to the 2017-18 college football coaching carousel, it doesn’t get much more perfect than Frost at Nebraska. The Nebraska native and former Cornhusker quarterback returns to his home state after a successful two-year stint at UCF. After a winless 2015 season, the Knights improved to 6-7 in Frost’s first year. And Frost capped his UCF tenure with a perfect 13-0 season, a Peach Bowl victory over Auburn and a No. 6 ranking in the final Associated Press poll. Prior to his two-year stint in Orlando, Frost worked as Oregon’s offensive coordinator from 2013-15, calling the plays for one of college football’s top offenses. And he also worked with the Ducks from 2009-12 as a wide receivers coach and had a stint at Northern Iowa (2007-08). Considering Frost’s ties to the program as a former player, he knows what it takes to succeed in Lincoln. Nebraska needed to make a big move in order to become a Big Ten power and close the gap on Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin. Frost’s arrival will certainly do that in his return to Lincoln.

Final Grade: A+

Link

43 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Here's a shock, Herm got a D- and is the last one mentioned.  Why is it we're fighting with ASU for a few of our recruits?

He's probably heavily selling his NFL influence and experience and, if that's of huge importance to a player, they may be willing to buy it. He's also a pretty powerful speaker (he was a keynote at an event I attended once). I'm sure he connects well with parents.

• Plus1 2

Herm Edwards is probably getting these players interested/committed for the same reason he got hired to coach at ASU. He's good at talking to people. That'd be my guess.

It seems like a bad decision by the people who hired him and any player that goes to play for him.

Edited by Moiraine

1 hour ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Here's a shock, Herm got a D- and is the last one mentioned.  Why is it we're fighting with ASU for a few of our recruits?

Echo what Enhance said.  I think Herm would be really good in recruits living rooms and selling to recruits parents/grandparents/guardians.  Plus, let's be honest, the scenery is pretty good in Tempe among other things.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

The shine will wear off Herm if he doesnt win soon.

The article eludes to that, as well. My only real association with Herm Edwards is as a struggling NFL coach turned analyst. I didn't know his most "recent" stint at the college level was almost 30 years ago. It's an odd, odd hire all the way around.

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Herm Edwards is probably getting these players interested/committed for the same reason he got hired to coach at ASU. He's good at talking to people. That'd be my guess.

It seems like a bad decision by the people who hired him and any player that goes to play for him.

He got hired because his former agent is the AD. 

• Plus1 1