Frost’s QB Room

Said this past week that he prefers 5 and 1 per class. Now I’d guess he means scholarship guys, but including WO...

Here is where we will be at in 2018.

SR: 0

JR: 0

SO: POB, Bunch(WO), Vedral(WO ineligible)

FR: Gebbia and Martinez

Then possibly looks like this in 2019.

SR: 0

JR: POB, Bunch

SO: Vedral, Gebbia

FR: Martinez + 2019 Commit

Frost mentions he plans to get it how he wants it quickly. If we were able to add a GT, such as Joe Burrow, it would be huge for Frost to get things lined up his way quickly.

18:

SR:0

JR: Burrow

SO: POB, Bunch, Vedral

FR: Gebbia, Martinez

SR: Burrow

JR: POB, Bunch

SO: Vedral, Gebbia

FR: Martinez + 2019 Commit

So basically, he’d have his problem solved by next year.  I know there are transfer possibilities, so that could throw a wrench into it as well.

• Plus1 2

I’ve got no doubts that he’ll get the room the way he wants it sooner rather than later but the exciting part of our current situation is the experience and reps these young guys are going to get. Just imagine what that is going to do for us in years 2-3-4. Might be a little rough this year but I’m still guessing this position group will perform much better than the recent past. The bad part is I just don’t see him being able to hang on to both POB and Gebbia and if Martinez is really ready to go, maybe neither one of them. So yeah, a GT like Burrows would really help out the numbers and balance. The biggest fear these next couple of years is injury loss. I think he’ll find a good enough 1-2 punch but depth after that might be an issue if other guys leave/transfer.

Edited by Comfortably Numb

Putting Burrow in your hypothetical 2019 QB room is out of left field as it is, even more so considering it's almost a guarantee he'd be coming in to compete against an established starter at that point.... Seems like there would be better scenarios for Mr. Borrow if he even wanted to transfer from OSU.... 

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 1
3 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Putting Burrow in your hypothetical 2019 QB room is out of left field as it is, even more so considering it's almost a guarantee he'd be coming in to compete against an established starter at that point.... Seems like there would be better scenarios for Mr. Borrow if he even wanted to transfer from OSU.... 

What? He’d be a GT this year with 2 years remaining...

So he’d be a senior in 2019....

So like, he’d be a JR in 2018 as it says and then a SR in 19.... both years for Nebraska

Edited by ScottyIce
  • Plus1 1

14 hours ago, famoustitles said:

Burrow graduates in may. He was asked by an osu reporter if he’d transfer and he said he’d wait to see how spring ball goes. 

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/12/joe_burrow_on_his_uncertain_fu.html

It's hard to see a scenario outside of injury where Burrow is able to beat out Haskins.  Haskins seems to be the heir apparent and looked pretty darn good in limited action.  Please excuse me while I go throw my bad cooking knives at my Tim Beck poster.

• Plus1 4

12 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

It's hard to see a scenario outside of injury where Burrow is able to beat out Haskins.  Haskins seems to be the heir apparent and looked pretty darn good in limited action.  Please excuse me while I go throw my bad cooking knives at my Tim Beck poster.

I dunno, man, a Tim Beck poster in mint condition would be a scarce and therefore lucrative collectable.  Even ones with only a few dart holes could go for big bucks at the auction that I just made up in my head.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

My take on the Qb situation.  We have a very very rough idea what POB can do at this level.  We only seen Gebbia in the spring game and he looked nice for what its worth.  I have a funny feeling that under Frost one of these two are gonna be a star and I'm thinking its gonna be Gebbia.

I don't think POB will play. I think it'll be Gebbia or Martinez.

Gebbia showed well but he's awfully thin physically and is going to have to grow into a 'tough' guy to meet Frost's definition of a QB.   He's gonna take a pounding at 180lbs or so.  We need him to weigh 210 or so and put that weight in the right places for sure.  I think he has decent running ability for a non-dual threat QB but he is not going to run for 600 yards on 100 carries without considerable risk of getting smushed a bunch of times.   Maybe he is flexible enough to take those crunching tackles but I don't see him dishing out the hits like Frost or others in the mold of the QBs Frost wants to put on the field.   I like Gebbia very much so I hope we can use his other skills and maybe cut those carries to 5 or 6 a game and no more than 1 a game is a 'sack' type carry.